Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Video: The Future of Zeta and Pontiac G8: Tom Stephens

35 posts in this topic

Sometimes I really hate not having audio on my machine - anyone care to give a thumbnail of what he said?

Sometimes I really hate not having audio on my machine - anyone care to give a thumbnail of what he said?

Basically, he says that GM is looking into zeta in the us. I have his quote on the frontpage.

It's one sure-fire way to get me back (if done right).

I'm glad Zeta refuses to die, but my heart can't take much more of this...

This just goes back to what I said in August that GM has yet to decide all it will and wants to do. They have had a lot on their plates of late. The Zeta is still not a sure thing but they are still thinking.

Al Oppenhiser the Camaro lead engineer was asked about the Zeta two weeks ago when I was talking to him. He was at a loss to know what to say. He said then he was not sure what the offical stand was on it by GM yet. This kind of gave me a clue they must be looking at it in some way but nothing was set.

I still think unless they just do a simple rebadge they may not do much with this unless in a very limited form.

I herd somewhere the police package idea was back be tossed around. I ponder if they would ask for a fuel mileage waiver since it would be for goverment work only. If that were the case the CAFE standard would be a non issue.

FWIW, anyone who responds " no" to this thread will get an automatic one week suspension :admin::lol:

j/k - but yeah, I think you know where I stand.

That's interesting. Wonder if they're talking more than just cop cars?

Guy seems to think so.

It is certainly my hope.

"Discussions". Ohhh... OK.:rolleyes:

Guy says alot of things.... :neenerneener:

True, but I like the way he thinks more often than not.

I sure would like to see Zeta utilized in a way that shows its full potential.

It could be so many things...

"Having discussions" doesn't sell cars, building kick ass product does. The people that thought the Buick Rainier, Pontiac G3, and Saturn Astra were good ideas are even bothering to debate this?

What I didn't like about the G8 was that it repeated the GTO's short comings and it was heavy. If they designed a Zeta sedan to fit this market, and can cut the weight a little it could be a grand slam product. This should be the new Impala, the G8's length/width is fine, and they already have the factory tooled to build the Camaro here. The interior would have to be on par with the Taurus or Maxima. Same engines as the Camaro, but with a diesel as well, and only diesel for the police package. A diesel V6 would get the same mileage as a 4-cylinder Malibu, so that solves GM's CAFE excuse for not building the car.

True, but I like the way he thinks more often than not.

I sure would like to see Zeta utilized in a way that shows its full potential.

It could be so many things...

From what I understand, Zeta is very flexible in addition to being a very capable platform. GM should continue to use it for a variety of applications. It seems ridiculous that there is so much internal debate about it.

From what I understand, Zeta is very flexible in addition to being a very capable platform. GM should continue to use it for a variety of applications. It seems ridiculous that there is so much internal debate about it.

Precisely.

since GM is working on an XFE type treatment for the CTS, i can't see why they can't tune the G8 setup for even more mpg.

remember the 2010 G8 was to get a DI 3.6, and 6 speed, and they probably already paid to have it certified.

it prob was equal to the camaro in mpg. 18/29. like many have said, same as epsilon.

but the govt wants you to drive 4 cylinder cars with a little better mpg, pay more for gas, and more for the car with fewer cylinders. GM is forced to push 4 cyl midsizers instead of 6 cyl.

What I didn't like about the G8 was that it repeated the GTO's short comings and it was heavy. If they designed a Zeta sedan to fit this market, and can cut the weight a little it could be a grand slam product. This should be the new Impala, the G8's length/width is fine, and they already have the factory tooled to build the Camaro here. The interior would have to be on par with the Taurus or Maxima. Same engines as the Camaro, but with a diesel as well, and only diesel for the police package. A diesel V6 would get the same mileage as a 4-cylinder Malibu, so that solves GM's CAFE excuse for not building the car.

i think the diesel V6 is a bigger task than it seems... i mean honda couldnt do it. it would probably be of better interest to revive the 4.5 duramax if they wanted to go that route, especially if it was going to be aimed at law enforcement.

but as for the G8 befalling the same fate as the GTO? two different animals altogether. if anything they both suffered dealer markup but thats about it. limited numbers for the GTO isnt an issue or a sign of failure either... they only expected to get 18K out the door total, it was to finish off the monaro production, but offer us yanks what the aussie's had. the G8 was just too late for the game. if the G8 and GTO were sold side by side in 04 i think it would be a very different outcome.

Seems like whistlening in the wind to me.

Would be superb if it actually came out GM would have it right with thart car and hopefuuly a sign of things to come.

It would be so nice to see this happen.

As much for kicking the "we can't, because" attitude square in the teeth as the cars themselves.

It would restore some lost faith.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0