GM Confirms the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Is a Go

GM Confirms the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Is a Go

Robert Dillman, September 28th, 2009
Story Link
146539d1246324294-camaro-z28-to-be-relea

The fifth generation Camaro is currently flying off the showroom floors and perspective buyers have a few model choices when it comes to decision time.

There are the LT and LS models with respectable V6 engines or the supped-up SS variant with a crowd-pleasing 6.2-liter V8. However, there is still one Camaro we have all been waiting for, and now GM is saying (again) that we will get it.

During the Frankfurt Motor Show, representatives from General Motors confirmed suspicions of the Camaro Z28 being built and sold sometime in late 2011. Not very convenient considering the Z28 was basically completed earlier this year but was put on hold when GMs financial health dropped to an all-time low.

Well now the great American automaker has climbed from the grips of bankruptcy and the Camaro Z28 project must be finished.

So here are the details we have gathered so far: it will use a 6.2-liter V8, similar to that of the SS version but this one is supercharged. Concrete power numbers are not final yet, but this engine also powers the newest Cadillac CTS-V, where it makes 556 horsepower and 551 pound-feet of torque.

Keep in mind, however, that the Z28 will be almost 300 pounds lighter than the CTS-V, so expect 0 to 60 times under four seconds and a top speed of 193 mph (with the manual transmission). Speaking of gearboxes, the Z28 will most likely be offered only in a full-manual six-speed option (due to the higher cost of the automatic).

The appearance of the 2011 Z28 will not stray far from the pictures that GM released sometime ago. Compared to the current Camaro models, the Z28 will get updated 20-inch wheels that are gunmetal in color and resemble those seen often in Formula One and Rolex car series races.

The Z28 gets a different mesh grille with updated badges and a bigger hood scoop to accommodate the new blown engine. Other body enhancements include a restyled rear bumper cover and a taller lip spoiler.

Expect pricing of the Z28 to exceed current SS models by at least $8,000, but not to grow anywhere near Corvette money. GM would like to keep the Camaro Z28 as its original pony car for the average-income car lover. If the General keeps his word and GM builds this thing, we believe it will become a workhorse and a collectors item for Camaro lovers everywhere

If the pricing arrangement holds true, the Z will start at just under 40K. That's damn good, and a 6K advantage over the GT500

why can't the auto be a option if you want it. how hard can it be to bring it to the z-28.

It's nice to see an automatic not available. In this era of automatics everywhere, the manual only configuration gives it extra seriousness... isn't that the case also w/ the ZR1 and CTS-v?

It's nice to see an automatic not available. In this era of automatics everywhere, the manual only configuration gives it extra seriousness... isn't that the case also w/ the ZR1 and CTS-v?

Only ZR-1, CTS-V has automatic. Fastest 'Ring lap for the CTS-V was with an auto.

The car pictured here is not the Z. THe car in Transformers 2 was about 95% Z/28.

The Camaro staff made it clear the work has been done and this car could be pulled off the shelf very easy once given the green light.

I expected if the economy stablized we would see it at some point. The big worry now is the economy is still not stable and can they get this out before they have to change the plan.

It will be intersting to see what Settlmire has to say on this. His post are the ones we need to watch.

The car pictured here is not the Z. THe car in Transformers 2 was about 95% Z/28.

The Camaro staff made it clear the work has been done and this car could be pulled off the shelf very easy once given the green light.

I expected if the economy stablized we would see it at some point. The big worry now is the economy is still not stable and can they get this out before they have to change the plan.

It will be intersting to see what Settlmire has to say on this. His post are the ones we need to watch.

The economy is not the issue with GM, it was getting rid of the legacy cost, which they did! I do have some money in my budget for a Spellchecker for you though! :D

It also has been on Z/28.com since 9-21. Jason stops things if they are off base since he has the right connections. As of yet the thread is still going.

Found that after I posted. It seems a bit odd that he didn't bump it into prominance like he usually does. Big news usually gets a headline all over that site.

Found that after I posted. It seems a bit odd that he didn't bump it into prominance like he usually does. Big news usually gets a headline all over that site.

Sometimes Jason will not go overboard if he knows more than he can say. He may just be waiting for the GM release. Scott usually gives him what he needs to post.

I know it was around the 21st I first saw this posted and have been waiting to see something from GM to back it up.

Losing the "mailslot" helps alot.

Have you seen the SLP filler for the mail slot? It helps.

Ed Hamburger was at work with a SS with his new parts on it. He also had a SS emblem that replace the bow tie in the grill. It even fills in the missing grill section.

Have you seen the SLP filler for the mail slot? It helps.

Ed Hamburger was at work with a SS with his new parts on it. He also had a SS emblem that replace the bow tie in the grill. It even fills in the missing grill section.

Saw the car at Carlisle and talked to both Hamburgers.

That car is a monster.

EDIT: It is the Z/28 you can buy today.

Edited by Camino LS6

Saw the car at Carlisle and talked to both Hamburgers.

That car is a monster.

EDIT: It is the Z/28 you can buy today.

Hmmm! I wonder where a SLP Z/28 would go if the SS is already their.

I think the SS they had was somthing like 575 HP. We also had two Nickey Camaro's at work. They were pushing big power out of a 427.

Hmmm! I wonder where a SLP Z/28 would go if the SS is already their.

I think the SS they had was somthing like 575 HP. We also had two Nickey Camaro's at work. They were pushing big power out of a 427.

SLP has several packages (different HP) and is already using a supercharger.

575HP is one of the levels.

the czar saw how much profit cars like this can make..........anything to help dar mission of funding the fed treasury

It was made clear from the start that they did not care what GM built as long as they turned a profit. Obama needs GM to make a profit after all the bail out money.

As for this car it will make a profit but more for the dealer than GM. This will be a low volume car and will make GM some money but the dealer will mark this one up well over sticker. These cars do not hurt GM but they do not add a lot either. They are more valuable as a marketing tool to sell more Camaro SS and V6 cars. It is no different than the ZR-1.

Edited by hyperv6

The interesting thing about the coming of the Z28 Camaro is that I am assuming that the Z06 is gonna get the LSA engine as well. It would stand to reason that the Z28 get a detuned version making about 540HP (to compete with GT500) and the CTS-V and Z06 get the same 556HP-570HP engines like they shared with the LS6. I just can't see GM giving the Camaro and more powerful or equally as powerful engine as the CTS-V or Z06.

It was made clear from the start that they did not care what GM built as long as they turned a profit. Obama needs GM to make a profit after all the bail out money.

I'm pretty sure all the terrorist threats, Iran Nuclear initiatives, Afghanistan, Health care Reform , etc are all secondary to the Z28 :rolleyes:

The interesting thing about the coming of the Z28 Camaro is that I am assuming that the Z06 is gonna get the LSA engine as well. It would stand to reason that the Z28 get a detuned version making about 540HP (to compete with GT500) and the CTS-V and Z06 get the same 556HP-570HP engines like they shared with the LS6. I just can't see GM giving the Camaro and more powerful or equally as powerful engine as the CTS-V or Z06.

Not sure on the final power but in the past it was said they would make it faster than the top Mustang. At that time it was not where it is today.

But I suspect the goal will not be to play second to the Shelby.

As long as there is a ZR-1 they can go for it. The ZR-1 keep the Vette at the top. The ZR-1 is not done either. They made more power in development so I suspect an increase in the future before they end the ZR-1 and C6.

Al Oppenheiser at one point also wanted to make the Z lighter and more stripped down. but I don't see the marketing people letting them do that. Options are where the money is.

Here is his quote from the Oct 09 Super Chevy. The first Z/28 was built just to get us into the racing circuit against the Mustang and all the other cars that were in that class. If you were going to take a Z/28 approach, you'd try to stay true to the RPO, build a car that you could drive daily on the street, take to the drag strip and do well, or take to the track and do well, which the original Z/28 did. Take some things out of it, get the mass down, use an existing small-block, maybe an ls7, an ls9. Make it a great performing car for the purist.

Sometimes Jason will not go overboard if he knows more than he can say. He may just be waiting for the GM release. Scott usually gives him what he needs to post.

I know it was around the 21st I first saw this posted and have been waiting to see something from GM to back it up.

Haven't seen this on Autoblog, InsideLine, Autoweek, WindingRoad, Car&Driver or Road & Track yet... I guess since nothing official is known they aren't covering it.

Haven't seen this on Autoblog, InsideLine, Autoweek, WindingRoad, Car&Driver or Road & Track yet... I guess since nothing official is known they aren't covering it.

That is my thought.

Nothing is done till it is anounce by GM. They bit too many times on the G8 anouncments?

I LOVE that New GM is proving all the naysayers wrong more as each day goes on. as for the looks of the car, i prefer the techno-chic subtle and stealth, along with wonderful paint tone and superb wheels of the picture with the headline. the T2 car has its own coolness, a smidge too in your face and robotic.