Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Confirms the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Is a Go

GM is just getting a head start on the Camaro vs Mustang War. The current Mustang is sceduled for a complete redesign in late 2011 or early 2012. What people have to realize is that the current Camaro platform has to last for at least 4 years so the Camro built today must be competetive against the NEXT GENERATION Mustang. I am bias, but I think this Camaro will not be competitive with the next redesign of the Mustang. Reasons: 1., To expesive ( junker V6's is what makes the segmet profitable). 2. Too Heavy. 3. Ugly interior.

Also I will post later, but this Month's CAR and Driver came in. On the Cover Corvette vs Mustang GT500 Comparsion.

Quarter mile stats : Corvette 12.5

Mustang 12.7

Also by the way the Nissan Z 370 auto quater is 13.1

If the pricing arrangement holds true, the Z will start at just under 40K. That's damn good, and a 6K advantage over the GT500

How do you figure it will be under $40k? The CTS-V engine adds about a $15K premium over the 3.6 DI, which would put the Z28 at at least $45K if it comes well equipped.

How do you figure it will be under $40k? The CTS-V engine adds about a $15K premium over the 3.6 DI, which would put the Z28 at at least $45K if it comes well equipped.

My guess is at least high $40's for this car. Then add the dealer mark up most will be closer to $60K loaded. They are not going make a lot of these unless they change their minds.

GM is just getting a head start on the Camaro vs Mustang War. The current Mustang is scheduled for a complete redesign in late 2011 or early 2012.

Probably won't be until MY 2014-2015 until the next new Mustang..it was just heavily restyled inside and out for '10, new engines coming for '11.

Great news, shame the car is just so ugly though.

You can't see the outside from behind the wheel.

Methinks if you don't like the Camaro you could perhaps have your need for speed filled with a nice gently used Z06 of the C6 generation?

Chris

MSRP of a Camaro 1SS is $30,745. The article states that the Z will be a 8K premium over an SS. That brings the base price of a Z to $38,745. If you want to use the 2SS - a comparable Z would be $41,745.

The economy is not the issue with GM, it was getting rid of the legacy cost, which they did! I do have some money in my budget for a Spellchecker for you though! :D

Nice to know that. Keep the enthusiasts more tangled and the rest will come to the fold.

I hope this announcement will help soothe the feelings of those who still believe that the government bought GM to force us all to drive two cylinder shoeboxes on wheels. :P

They are not done yet. :P

Kinda figured...GM needed to show some balls.... :neenerneener:

None the less, this is GREAT news!

+1.

This car is going to give the GT 500 a lot of trouble, especially if it comes in 6k below gt 500 prices.

2011 will be a big year for the Camaro Mustang war.

As it looks right now in 2011-2012 ...

Mustang Camaro

V6 3.7l 315 hp, 275 ftlbs 3.6 liter 304 hp, 273 ftlbs

GT/SS 5.0 DOHC est. 400 hp, 375 ftlbs 6.2 liter 400-425 hp, 400 ftlbs

GT500/Z28 5.4 DOHC 540 hp 510 ftlbs SC * 6.2 liter 556 hp 550 ftlbs SC

Boss 5.0 DOHC est. 450 hp, 400 ftlbs in 2012

This will be quite the matchup. On a power to weight basis the mustang should win during at the v6 and GT/SS levels.

I expect the Camaro to put down its slightly better power numbers more effectivley then the GT500. It will certainly do so a bit better then the current 2010 GT500. The one wild card will be that for 2011 the Gt500 is getting an aluminum block. This will help to lower the weight of the car as well as ballance it better.

Chevy doesn't have any special editions yet to compete with the the upcoming Boss. Will be fun to see how this HP war shaped up and to see what the next small block will bring in a few years.

The Mustang's SRA rearend does a great job putting down anything short of GT500 power and saves the car weight so it performs better at base- GT trim then the camaro. The Camaro's overweight rearend though will be a huge boon when it comes to harnessing the awsome power of the LSA v8.

This car is going to give the GT 500 a lot of trouble, especially if it comes in 6k below gt 500 prices.

2011 will be a big year for the Camaro Mustang war.

Mustang Camaro

V6 3.7l 315 hp, 275 ftlbs 3.6 liter 304 hp, 273 ftlbs

This will be quite the matchup. On a power to weight basis the mustang should win during at the v6 and GT/SS levels.

I expect the Camaro to put down its slightly better power numbers more effectivley then the GT500. It will certainly do so a bit better then the current 2010 GT500. The one wild card will be that for 2011 the Gt500 is getting an aluminum block. This will help to lower the weight of the car as well as ballance it better.

Chevy doesn't have any special editions yet to compete with the the upcoming Boss. Will be fun to see how this HP war shaped up and to see what the next small block will bring in a few years.

The Mustang's SRA rearend does a great job putting down anything short of GT500 power and saves the car weight so it performs better at base- GT trim then the camaro. The Camaro's overweight rearend though will be a huge boon when it comes to harnessing the awsome power of the LSA v8.

It will be around 2011 or 12 for DI to show up on the V8. More Power yet for the SS.

Mustang Camaro

This arms race reminds me of what's been going between MB's AMG, BMW's M, and Audi's RS models this decade--the race to build increasingly expensive and fast 400+hp, 500+ hp 4000+lb RWD/AWD sedans and coupes...where will it go from here?

Is this era a high point for performance cars that will never been seen again at this level of power and weight? Fascinating times... I remember when I was young and the top V8 in a Mustang or Camaro had a bit over 200 hp, and they cost under $20k and weighed about 3500lbs!

Rob

You think the Camaro will get a GenV smallblock? The impression the Camaro Team gave me at Indy last year was that there were no such plans for it.

Maybe things have changed?

Well if the Vette is getting DI in 2011-12 I would not see why the Camaro would not get the same. I expect the trucks too.