Your winter checklist?

daves87rs

Yep, it's that time.

I've been busy the last few days, getting the cars ready for the winter.

Yesterday, I changed the ATF in the wife's car. Drives like new! Also did the oil change, and rotated her tires. Besides a good cleaning inside and out, her car is ready for winter.

This week, it's the Cobalt's turn. I'm debating about changing the ATF too.

Busy, busy.......sounds like it is going to be another rough winter.

So, what are you guys doing?

Looking forward to driving w/o AC, and occasionally driving w/ the windows down. Hopefully today is the last triple digit day.

Going to get a routine oil change and tire rotation Friday, may need the belt and hoses replaced also. Going to have the coolant and transmission fluid checked per the factory schedule. Need rear brakes soon.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Yesterday, I changed the ATF in the wife's car. Drives like new!

Did you do it, or take it in? How much was it...(for a "drop&drain" or a flush)?

Regal:

October: fuel filter change

November: spark plug change - about 263K

December: trans fluid change (drop and drain) - about 265K

Also, wax job in November

LaCrosse:

this weekend: LOF

Also, wash only this weekend

Did you do it, or take it in? How much was it...(for a "drop&drain" or a flush)?

Regal:

October: fuel filter change

November: spark plug change - about 263K

December: trans fluid change (drop and drain) - about 265K

Also, wax job in November

LaCrosse:

this weekend: LOF

Also, wash only this weekend

Both. Since I don't have the machine, I had to take it in. I got to do everything but use the machine itself. I brought my own 13qts on Valvoline Dex III. I did a flush and fill-no dropping the pan for a while.

Cost was about 50 for the Dex, and around 30 to use to machine......

I might do the Cobalt too, but I think I might let them do that this time.....

Some of this is more of general to-do than winter prep but...

Well the Intrepid has a bit of an issue with misfire O/2 sensor so that needs to be sorted out

Then Plugs

Alignment

Transmission fluid change

I'd love to get my seat heaters working

However I'd love even more to keep it off the road during the winter.

If it has to go on the road the wheels will come off, and I'll need to get a couple decent front tires for the 16"s.

As for the Prizm

2 new tires

Front end alignment

Exhuast Manifold

Spark Plugs/wires/distributor cap

Oil Change

Brakes

I noticed yesterday that it has some surface rust starting to form on the underside of the rockers :censored: so that needs to be taken care of before winter

I'm still toying with the idea of a winter beater.

G8 needs properly & fully detailed again, oil changed, tires rotated...and then a hope for a light winter, or none, so the G8 doesn't get abused & I can continue to drive in all seasons on 19" summer Bridgestones, without issue :AH-HA_wink:

Dad has a 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 project in the backyard that, uh, needs a lot of everything, continuing into winter & beyond...

Edited by caddycruiser

I sure hope so. That Dex VI has to go in somewhere....

Sad part is, I do not have the booklet for the Balt.....the other "owner" lost it.....

OcnBlu is probably right... the Sunfire/Cavaliers were "sealed", as well. No dipstick... just a unmarked filler cap, and vague guidelines on how much to put in. In other words, GM feels if your low on fluid, you need a GM certified mechanic to diagnose the situation. GM also likely feels that if the fluid is dirty, its time for a brand new Cobalt. ;-)

Oh, as for winter guidelines... damn, I'm still working on spring cleaning! Oh, yeah, I have to let the radiator water out of my Blazer, so it doesn't freeze.

Edited by SAmadei

OcnBlu is probably right... the Sunfire/Cavaliers were "sealed", as well. No dipstick... just a unmarked filler cap, and vague guidelines on how much to put in. In other words, GM feels if your low on fluid, you need a GM certified mechanic to diagnose the situation. GM also likely feels that if the fluid is dirty, its time for a brand new Cobalt. ;-)

Oh, as for winter guidelines... damn, I'm still working on spring cleaning! Oh, yeah, I have to let the radiator water out of my Blazer, so it doesn't freeze.

Oh, the lack of di[stick part....yep, I know. All 3 of my cars have that issues... :alcoholic:

We just changed her car at 50k, and I'm glad I didn't wait. You couldn't see through the old fluid. :mind-blowing:

Next up is the Balt, which just passed 40k. That one is being changed very soon....

I think at this point I'm just to change the ATF every 30k, just to be safe.

The Impala should need nothing except to re-apply the sealant the car came with. Same with Moms Aveo.

1985 Caprice. Wash it, do an oil change, and replace the slowly failing alternator.

1981 Bonneville. Wash it, do an oil change, and I think this one needs front brakes.

Today I am going through the Miata, probably bleed the brakes, lube the hinges, check the chasis bolts, do a manual trany gear oil change, change the oil in the diff, and replace a burnd out headlamp.

Wife's car get's a good cleaning and the gear oil changed in its manual.

Chris