Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Toyota Recall: Feds Recall Toyota, Lexus Floor Mats Due To Potential Fiery Death [Car Recalls]

20 posts in this topic

500x_Toyota-Floor-mat.jpgThe U.S. Government warns 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus owners affected by an urgent recall to "immediately remove driver's side floor mats" after one was suspected of causing a fiery Lexus crash killing a family of four in San Diego.

Toyota says it will order an immediate floor mat recall at the behest of the Department of Transportation after a mat was suspected of snagging a gas pedal on a runaway Lexus, ending with a fiery crash that killed four family members in San Diego. The Toyota and Lexus models affected include:

2007-10 Camry
2005-10 Avalon
2004-09 Prius
2005-10 Tacoma
2007-10 Tundra
2007-10 ES 350
2006-10 IS 250 and IS350

If, for some reason you're unable to pull the mat out of the driver's side of your car and you experience "unintended acceleration" you are to immediately "pull back floor mat. If that doesn't work, stand on brake pedal with both feet." Seriously.

[via Twitter]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=R3yBn2ToN7k:eQK4qoTOE8s:D7DqB2pKE full?i=R3yBn2ToN7k:eQK4qoTOE8s:V_sGLiPBp
R3yBn2ToN7k

View the full article

Just saw this on the local news. What a PR nightmare.

Next up, someone will find a way to get the cargo nets in trunks recalled.

Well, I heard it on the news, so it's actually making to the people. And they did say "deadly consequences".

As much as I want to, I can't be happy about this.

My friend was happy.. "Oh good, the mats in the Prius are worn out."

That speaks volumes.

wow I feel bad that Toyota is getting heat from a floor mat.

That speaks volumes.

Well, in his defense I didn't tell him why they were being recalled. I know he'll be looking it up when he gets home from work.

They wanted to be the biggest in the world, welcome to the rest of the story that you also took from GM. Your welcome Toyota! :D

Amazing.

Sad to think of that family of four being killed though.

Chris

:wacko: . If he does not look up show him. :P

Silly exercise, but glad to know Toy is at least being proactive.

Toyota should install a warning label on all new floor mats.

*Caution* Floor mats may cause fiery death. Use at own risk!

Amazing.

Sad to think of that family of four being killed though.

Chris

the video i watched on yahoo news had the 911 audio on there. said that the driver was a veteran CHP officer. i cannot for the life of me understand why he didnt drop the car in neutral or turn the car off and then turn the key back to turn on the accessories. hind sight is 20/20 i know, and i feel terribble for the family, but i cant help but wonder.

there has to be something more to this though. i was telling my gf about it and she said that her corrola would start accelerating if she turned on her cruise control. it would run fine for a few miles then suddenly speed up. hers is a 94 or 96 though.

:wacko: . If he does not look up show him. :P

Silly exercise, but glad to know Toy is at least being proactive.

He'll look it up, trust me. He's a news junky. He and his whole enormous family praised Toyota (or rather Lexus since they're all wealthy--but you'd be happy they've moved onto other luxury makes because they got bored with Lexus) for years. In 2007, I started pointing out the beginning of some quality issues and how they go unknown to the general public and they thought I was making more out of it than I should. It was I believe in 2008 when all of a sudden Toyota had those frequent quality problems and he started saying, "Oh $h!, you were right."

After realizing that, my constant badgering, and the quality problems he had with his Prius, he's anxious for the Volt to be out because he and his wife are eco-nuts and would totally spend 40K on a Volt.

i cannot for the life of me understand why he didnt drop the car in neutral or turn the car off

It's possible there may be some sort of lock for turning car on/off, or changing gear, while at speed. Someone who has driven the '09 ES350 can confirm.

I despise Toyota as much as the next C&Ger, but I thought the floor mats in the ES that crashed were the dealer/aftermarket mats.

Also... The article neglects to tell us how many other cases were reported.

Edited by aaaantoine

Also... The article neglects to tell us how many other cases were reported.

ah, thats called damage control my friend...

It's possible there may be some sort of lock for turning car on/off, or changing gear, while at speed. Someone who has driven the '09 ES350 can confirm.

that's a huge safety issue all cars i think have to be able to disengage from drive to neutral with no other action then to move lever. every automatic i ever drove has been like that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0