Future Buick Names

wildcat

They could do better, I think.

+1

I think we all said the same thing about the Enclave though, and now it doesn't bother me at all. It really will come down to whether or not they can make great cars to go with these names. Better to have a great car and mediocre name than the other way around.

we complain because the names SUCK ASS

as in tongue in cheek way down far, if you know what i mean.

what sort of dip$h! came up with those?

marketing degree and nice clothes doesn't make up for being stupid.

Verano sounds like Murano and Verona mutated. I go to starbucks to get a Cafe Verona, maybe this is the angle they are after. Christ, how f.cking dumb are these people? WORK HARDER ON THIS YOU MORONS.

or, i could be the one who is effed in the head and it could turn out to be HUGE. BUICK VERANO, the car that brings GenY back to buick. record sales, wouldn't you really rather have a buick?

i always thought buick had french sounding names, now its italian? wtf? i thought buick was big in china?

well, this isn't as bad as "G3" or 'terrazza'

for the record, 'bolero', 'bengal' maybe not good for a compact but good names for buick.

i can see Encore from its so damn easy.....en-clave, en-core, en-core, ac-cord

can't they use 'rendezvouz' for something?

Edited by regfootball

Buick is not wanting to go with old names as they just do not fit these cars. Also we do not need a new Skyhawk.

The other issue is that names in this day and age are getting more difficult to get. So many are owned by some corp already or have some have some odd meaning. We have already seen the one that was slang for a sex act in French become a problem for Buick.

Coming up with names in not s short or easy task.

I am no fan of these names but I can understand why we are getting some lame ones anymore. In fact just look at how many have no real meaning and are just made up words.

Edited by hyperv6

I'm just confused... Buick has traditionally used French or English words for their vehicle names, no? So, why verano? I'd say put that in French but then it becomes l'été and that's not going to happen.

I'd love to see Rendezvous used for the baby Enclave. It had a lot of followers and was smaller than the Enclave is, so I don't see why they wouldn't use it.

The compact, well, something better than verano.

Verano sounds too much like the Suzuki Verona (seriously, took me two tries to NOT type Verona)

Encore sounds... too "cheap appliance" or "Hyundai".... but I repeat myself. Wasn't there a Renault or AMC Encore?

Edit: Yep! Renault/AMC Encore

Renault_US_Encore.jpg

Verano sounds like it belongs on an Asian CUV....reminds me of Nissan's Murano. Maybe they can continue the upper Midwest theme they started with LaCrosse and build a Eau Claire, Racine, Eden Prairie or Minnetonka.. :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

GM and Buick naming in general is about as conservative as the definition goes. They want to carry on the appeal of the old names while generating "excitement" with a new name. So we lose names like "LeSabre" but gain names like "LaCrosse" (although they capitalize all the letters often, you'll notice they take specific effort to make the "a" smaller than the rest of the letters in a lot of instances), is this because LaCrosse has a similar grammatical meaning to LeSabre? We all know Le Sabre is two words meaning "The Sword", but Lacrosse has been and still only is one word, but they had to try and carry on the LeSabre name as much as possible through a different model so it would still appeal to the traditional buyers, but not hold the same negative stigma. Same syllables, same flow, different word... and different car, but even with the Lucerne (which astounds me they dont call it LuCerne), but the idea is the same, starts with an "L", 2 syllables, European flow.

And so now there is a successful SUV known as the Enclave, and it's turning a lot of heads towards Buick, so what do they decide to name the mini-me version? The Encore. I mean they are virtually identical words, and this was done on purpose no doubt. Buick names are becoming foreign and flowery but I suppose it comes with the territory of attempting to compete with Lexus. Names that traditional Buick lovers like (including myself) are not gonna happen because they are more American and rugged and this compromises (to corporate execs) the pristine calm beauty of Buicks today. So names that many of us here would like to see - Roadmaster, Grand National, Wildcat, Skylark, Century, etc - are not something we should hold our breath on. They need to be mystically foreign. Not that I agree with it, but it's corporate execs playing a very careful game and Buick is at a very tenuous moment right now, and I have to say in order for the image to be right, this is the game they need to play. When Buick solidifies its outstanding (and the lineup is becoming truly outstanding) position, then I'd push for more traditional names to come back.

So, some of us are going to believe something GMI posts, yet when C&G posts about the Z28 members start to say "I haven't heard confirmation"?

So, with that being said, I won't believe it till I hear confirmation.

Interesting point as the Z/28 is essentially ready, and this Buick is still vaporware.

Still, this car is worth doing (and worthy of a better name).

I'm just confused... Buick has traditionally used French or English words for their vehicle names, no? So, why verano? I'd say put that in French but then it becomes l'été and that's not going to happen.

I'd love to see Rendezvous used for the baby Enclave. It had a lot of followers and was smaller than the Enclave is, so I don't see why they wouldn't use it.

The compact, well, something better than verano.

I agree about the "Rendezvous" name. There's no reason why it shouldn't be used on a sub-Enclave Buick CUV.

"Verano" is horrible. Try again.

"Encore" is not too terribly exciting either.

Past model names that could be resurrected if applied to appropriate products:

* Riviera: Personal luxury coupe or a flagship sedan.

* Invicta: Flagship sedan, some sort of coupe product, or CUV.

* Electra: Flagship sedan or some type of electric powertrain product.

* LeSabre: Midsize or large sedan.

* Rendezvous: CUV or 5-door hatchback (Buickized Opel Astra 5-door).

* Regal: Midsize sedan.

* Apollo: Some type of convertible or some type of electric powertrain product.

Acceptable concept vehicles names:

* Centieme: Compact sedan (sort of a play on the "Century" name without the direct negative connotations) or CUV (like the concept vehicle).

* Bengal: Some type of coupe or convertible (like the concept vehicle).

Acceptable Opel model names:

* Vectra: Compact sedan or compact 5-door hatchback (Buickized Opel Astra 5-door).

* Insignia: Midsize sedan.

New names:

* Bravura: CUV or compact car.

* Vivace: Some type of coupe or convertible product.

* Plateau: CUV.

* Regatta: Coupe, compact car, or CUV. I know it's terribly close to "Reatta", but I still like it.

Edited by cire

I would still have preferred the LaCrosse have ben renamed Invicta. The new car is certainly deserving of it.

I agree, although I think resurrecting "LeSabre" would have been appropriate also.

LaCrosse, Lucerne, and Allure are 3 names that need to be dropped and left forgotten.

Edited by cire

I agree about the "Rendezvous" name. There's no reason why it shouldn't be used on a sub-Enclave Buick CUV.

"Verano" is horrible. Try again.

"Encore" is not too terribly exciting either.

Past model names that could be resurrected if applied to appropriate products:

* Riviera: Personal luxury coupe or a flagship sedan.

* Invicta: Flagship sedan, some sort of coupe product, or CUV.

* Electra: Flagship sedan or some type of electric powertrain product.

* LeSabre: Midsize or large sedan.

* Rendezvous: CUV or 5-door hatchback (Buickized Opel Astra 5-door).

* Regal: Midsize sedan.

* Apollo: Some type of convertible or some type of electric powertrain product.

Acceptable concept vehicles names:

* Centieme: Compact sedan (sort of a play on the "Century" name without the direct negative connotations) or CUV (like the concept vehicle).

* Bengal: Some type of coupe or convertible (like the concept vehicle).

Acceptable Opel model names:

* Vectra: Compact sedan or compact 5-door hatchback (Buickized Opel Astra 5-door).

* Insignia: Midsize sedan.

New names:

* Bravura: CUV or compact car.

* Vivace: Some type of coupe or convertible product.

* Plateau: CUV.

* Regatta: Coupe, compact car, or CUV. I know it's terribly close to "Reatta", but I still like it.

After looking at you list I think I have changed my mind on the old names accept for Apollo. It just reeks of a rusty looking Nova to me. Plus the space program has moved on. How about using the new space crafts name Orion ore Aries?

I think what change my mind is the new names you have listed just don't flow well or create much image.

Buick is just a tough car to name.

Orion was a Ford, and Aries was a Dodge. I agree that naming a vehicle is difficult. There are worse choices than Verano or Encore. Buick had to think about doing alphanumerics because luxury vehicles are supposed to be alphanumeric. Perhaps all the good combinations have been taken, but I commend Buick for having real names.

too bad regal is the midsize. they should use the insignia name for the buick insignia clone and they could do gangbusters for name recognition to do the compact with the name Regal.

I like that idea. I think it would give the compact sedan more premium cred. I don't think the model names need to align exactly between the North American and Chinese markets. The names should be customized to the markets based on which ones would create the biggest impact on their respective markets. I can understand GM's decision to continue the "LaCrosse" name in China since the name was involved in the brand's expansion in the Chinese market. In North America, the "LaCrosse" name has a dubious slang connotation in Canada and represents a low period for the brand in the United States and shouldn't be continued. The "Excelle" name also needs to stay in China since it would inevitably be connected to a notoriously inferior product from Hyundai's past in the U.S. market. I know there are probably cost advantages in marketing a car under one model name across the globe, but it simply shouldn't be done in this case.

... but I commend Buick for having real names.

I agree. Alpha-numerics are boring and have been done to death. I think it would make Buick look like a trend follower instead of a brand that's brave enough to go its own direction.

After looking at you list I think I have changed my mind on the old names accept for Apollo. It just reeks of a rusty looking Nova to me. Plus the space program has moved on. How about using the new space crafts name Orion ore Aries?

I think what change my mind is the new names you have listed just don't flow well or create much image.

Buick is just a tough car to name.

I don't think younger buyers will remember the Apollo's short lived and less than stellar existence in Buick's lineup. I was a youngster when it was around and I barely remember it.

I really wasn't thinking about the space program in my usage of the name. Apollo was a Greek/Roman god of sun and light (among many other attributes), which could be spun to represent a convertible (top down fun in the sun) or an electric vehicle (light/sun conveys a source of energy as well as enlightenment to new ways of vehicle propulsion). Basically, I was looking at past model names and selecting those that could be relevant or spun into a modern context.

How about the Buick Snooze for their small car, the Buick Mundane for a small crossover, and the Buick Insipid for their midsize car. Although Buick Prosaic and Buick Prehistoric I like as well, so they may need some more models. The CX trim will be replaced with the Vanilla trim, white walls, plastic wheel covers, and cloth bench seat for all!

How about the Buick Snooze for their small car, the Buick Mundane for a small crossover, and the Buick Insipid for their midsize car. Although Buick Prosaic and Buick Prehistoric I like as well, so they may need some more models. The CX trim will be replaced with the Vanilla trim, white walls, plastic wheel covers, and cloth bench seat for all!
:lol:

Since Buick likes to use French-sounding names I propose the name Buick Le Pew, offered only in black with two parallel white longitudinal stripes. :smilewide:

Edited by ZL-1

I don't think younger buyers will remember the Apollo's short lived and less than stellar existence in Buick's lineup. I was a youngster when it was around and I barely remember it.

I really wasn't thinking about the space program in my usage of the name. Apollo was a Greek/Roman god of sun and light (among many other attributes), which could be spun to represent a convertible (top down fun in the sun) or an electric vehicle (light/sun conveys a source of energy as well as enlightenment to new ways of vehicle propulsion). Basically, I was looking at past model names and selecting those that could be relevant or spun into a modern context.

If to go that way I would look at other Greek and Roman god names.

Zeus, Boreas, Pomona, Artemis, Amor, Aquilo, Ares, Maia You get the idea. There are a lot of names but it may be difficult to find names that no one has used or the rights tied up etc. So many Greek and Roman names are used not only in the car industry but in all industries and banking. Janus, Triton, Saturn and Mercury just to name a few.

The easiest for most automakers anymore is to make up words. This way they can claim them easier and not have to worry about a real meaning that may not go with the image they want to project. This is what killed Banshee for years. Pontiac loved the name but GM hated the meaning.

GM was just being stupid on the Banshee thing.

They have trashed some really good names for petty reasons. They look at it as if it will offend someone. Today it would not but in the 60's I could see people trying to put a satanic twist to it.

Like wehn they named the Fiero at the last min when for some unknown reason they killed Peguses they worked from a list of names that were controled by GM.

Schinilla still to this day claims he found the name in a book and stood for Proud in Itallian. But how did it get used on a Firebird concept car in the late 60's that was a FIrebird aERO concept also called Fiero.

I always loved Chryslers Corinthian Leather. There is no such leather but it sounded good when Ricardo Montalbon said it. That is just good marketing.

Somewhere I have an article (or at least read it) that a line worker 'went to the top' because he hated the Pegasus name... whether he liked Fiero off said list or what happened next, I don't recall. Have you heard this one, hyper ??

No I have not seen that one.

I did get a detail recount of the naming from Schinella not long ago. He stuck to the tough meeting where they had a list of names and his claim to the book He is a great guy but With the use of it before at Pontiac in 1969 it makes me think he is just sticking to the offical story.

I have seen them the back of the cars to test how they looked. One was Fiamma?

I am not sure why they dropped the Pegasus name but it had to have been a good reason It was late in the game and they even had the emblem made up. It was too late to change it too.

I do believe they did ask the line workers to vote on names at one point but they never did get last call. I would have to dig up my info on this as it has been a long time since I read any info on this.

Edited by hyperv6

This whole thing is crazy. Buick does not need to change their to attempt to forget about the past.

Buick has a very storied history and if GM had a inch of brain then they would be comming up with models for Buick that truly reflect their past.

I would like to see names that really mean Buick: skyhawk (my very fist car) apollo, skylark, century lesabre regal invicta roadmaster riviera wildcat centuran electra park ave enclave and reatte & grand natioanl

I am sick of you all think that you know better when it comes to Buick marketing. The Lacrosse and Enclave are definite step in the right direction. Now they need about 4 more models

ie: coupe(compact) sporty 4dr, convertible, full size rwd,big suv and a cuv and another grand naional, It is truly ashame that buick always brings out great concepts to never see the day, I would love to see how people would feel if they changed the name of the camaro or corvette? If it wasn't for the idiots who dropped buick down to 3 vehicle then buick would not be in this situation.

Why does Buick need a "big" SUV when:

1) The Enclave is already quite large

2) The GMC Yukon and Yukon XL sit just across the showroom floor

?

Re: the proposed names: I think Encore is more of a concept Buick should be aiming for with this new small ute rather than an actual name for it. Whatever it's called, it should be an encore of the Enclave in that it's a good-looking, quality work. As for Verano (jeez, I almost typed Verona too), eh, they could've been really daft and chosen Invierno.

• 3 weeks later...

Encore ok, that's fine. Buick SUV names have no history behind them so Buick can be creative.

As for the car names,

The Compact should be called Skylark.

The Midsize should be called Regal.

The Large sedan should be called LeSabre.

Buick has good historic names, use them. Even if some were tainted over time, a new competitive, stylish, and high quality Buick with a familiar name will do very good. Despite an outdated, negative reputation.

Look at the Malibu and Impala. Sometimes heritage works.

Anybody who gives a damn about cars, knows that a Skylark, a Regal, or a LeSabre is a BUICK.

LaCrosse, Lucerne, etc. are unknowns that only Buick/GM loyalists would be aware of.

What does GM think that the public would be fooled into buying a LaCrosse because, an uninformed buyer thought it was a Lexus or an Acura?

If you want to build a brand that actually has the asset of a long and storied heritage then utilize that asset.

personally LaCrosse is fine because the new version is so attention getting. I would have preferred Insignia for the Regal, but I guess Regal is ok. I think to introduce a compact Buick and give it the Regal name would have been an interesting twist for me, but since its the Regal in China......

Verano and Encore quite honestly are pukey and dumb. Encore I can see the play on words to Enclave, but imagine the confusion with customers.

Verano, yeah I'll have a Mocha Verano please? Idiots. that's so freaking stuffy white person.

Skylark in 2009 sounds hilariously lame. Please leave that one in the books.

Edited by regfootball

I do believe they did ask the line workers to vote on names at one point but they never did get last call. I would have to dig up my info on this as it has been a long time since I read any info on this.

Found it (sorry for the hijack).

Dug it out of the Balthazar Files :

From the Detroit Free Press, date unknown (but would have to have been circa '84-85). In part/ abbreviated :

-- -- -- -- --

>>GM took the sweeper's advice

When Fiero assembly worker Calvin Queen talks with possessive pride about his favorite car...

"I just fell in love with it when I saw it," Queen said, describing his first look @ Pontiac's racy little P-car. That's what developers called the Fiero before it got it's name.

"It was such a sleek little car, and I was wondering what they was going to call it," Queen recalled.

This is the story of how Queen, moved to action by love @ first sight, smashed auto company tradition to ensure that the car got a name worthy of its appeal. It's also the story of how William Hoagland, a GM exec w/ a 6-figure salary, deferred to the marketing sense of an $18,500 worker.

A friend told Queen that Pontiac decided to call the new 2-seater 'Sunfire'.

"I couldn't believe it! That beautiful little car. I couldn't believe they were going to give it that blah name. It disturbed me real bad."

So Queen called Hoagland to complain. He wasn't in; Queen left a message. About noon the next day, Queen's foreman told him someone was waiting to see him 'up front'.

It was Hoagland.With the kind of concern for worker opinion & involvment that colleagues say is characteristic, Hoagland had decided to check Queen out.

"He showed me a list of 10 names. Sunfore was one of them. Fiero was not on the list. After they (others in the room) seen he (Hoagland) cared what I thought -in a sense I was glad I had told him- they all began to say 'Well, you know Bill, I don't like that name either'."

According to Queen's plant manager, Hoagland took Queen's concern to heart and ordered a complete re-evaluation of the name.

"If Queen had not made that call, I think for sure we'd never have had the name Fiero," (plant mananger) said.<<

-- -- -- -- --

Interesting story- a bit of the stuff that makes being an autoholic so enjoyable.

Edited by balthazar