Future Buick Names

wildcat

Found it (sorry for the hijack).

Dug it out of the Balthazar Files :

From the Detroit Free Press, date unknown (but would have to have been circa '84-85). In part/ abbreviated :

-- -- -- -- --

>>GM took the sweeper's advice

When Fiero assembly worker Calvin Queen talks with possessive pride about his favorite car...

"I just fell in love with it when I saw it," Queen said, describing his first look @ Pontiac's racy little P-car. That's what developers called the Fiero before it got it's name.

"It was such a sleek little car, and I was wondering what they was going to call it," Queen recalled.

This is the story of how Queen, moved to action by love @ first sight, smashed auto company tradition to ensure that the car got a name worthy of its appeal. It's also the story of how William Hoagland, a GM exec w/ a 6-figure salary, deferred to the marketing sense of an $18,500 worker.

A friend told Queen that Pontiac decided to call the new 2-seater 'Sunfire'.

"I couldn't believe it! That beautiful little car. I couldn't believe they were going to give it that blah name. It disturbed me real bad."

So Queen called Hoagland to complain. He wasn't in; Queen left a message. About noon the next day, Queen's foreman told him someone was waiting to see him 'up front'.

It was Hoagland.With the kind of concern for worker opinion & involvment that colleagues say is characteristic, Hoagland had decided to check Queen out.

"He showed me a list of 10 names. Sunfore was one of them. Fiero was not on the list. After they (others in the room) seen he (Hoagland) cared what I thought -in a sense I was glad I had told him- they all began to say 'Well, you know Bill, I don't like that name either'."

According to Queen's plant manager, Hoagland took Queen's concern to heart and ordered a complete re-evaluation of the name.

"If Queen had not made that call, I think for sure we'd never have had the name Fiero," (plant mananger) said.<<

-- -- -- -- --

Interesting story- a bit of the stuff that makes being an autoholic so enjoyable.

Neat story.

I have some pictures of the Sunfire name on the prototypes. The thing I find strange is that I have met and been able to spend time with many of the key players on the Fiero over the years. The odd thing is they all have different stories on the naming of the car. Some add up and some sound as if they contrived by marketing and to this day many of these guys still hold to the odd stories.

It was amazing this car ever got built with the politics from GM and withing Pontiac.

I wish someone would write a book on the whole project and put out the truth on may of the things this car went through. It is a good snap shot of how GM worked [or to be honest did not work]. This is a book that would make On A Clear Day You Can See GM look like the good old days.

One name that was very close to being picked was Fiamma. Now that is one that just rolls off ones lips.

I also have a few shots of the odd mules that were not yet production bodied and they sported Subaru emblems.

Maybe, but if all they were able to imagine was Verano....

That had to be chosen on a dare. I'm sorry, but there are a million names anyone could come up with other than Verano.

If Verano is the Delta2 model's name and they don't want to go with an older name, then they should go with Buick Astra and call it a day.

I would actually settle for "Vectra". It hasn't been used in the U.S. market yet. The only problem with "Vectra" is that Opel has already used the name in China. "Verano" just doesn't make much sense.

I would actually settle for "Vectra". It hasn't been used in the U.S. market yet. The only problem with "Vectra" is that Opel has already used the name in China. "Verano" just doesn't make much sense.

Vectra is a good name, IMO

I come from Buick family and the Invicta [ick] was never remembered as a 'storied name' as Electra or Wildcat. It sounds like a computer generated name or a pharmacutical.

LeSabre now means 'Depends', 'Geritol', or 'Life Alert', i.e. geriatric drivers. Also, LeSabre was never the top of the line or a performance car. [No one cares about the FWD Type T] Also, nobody under 75 wants one these days. So, RIP.

And LaCrosse is also the sport played world wide, not just a town in WI.

Changing names is a very sharp double-edged sword. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ford 500? Pontiac G whatever? Lincoln MK whatever? Sometimes name recognition trumps some misguided need to break with the (successful) past.

I'd be content if they called it a Skylark if they're not going with a new French/Swiss variation on another historic Buick name. Verano just doesn't sound right.

Edited by ocnblu

• 1 month later...

I'd be content if they called it a Skylark if they're not going with a new French/Swiss variation on another historic Buick name. Verano just doesn't sound right.</b>

I think "Centieme" would be cool. It sort of serves as an update of the old "Century" name. Since the last gen Century (1997-2005) served as the entry level sedan for Buick (just like this new Delta II based compact sedan will when it joins Buick's lineup), I think it will be appropriate. I know the "Centieme" name was used on a preview concept to the Enclave, but I doubt that anyone outside of enthusiasts will remember that concept.

The names are ok,but until there is confirmation I will wait and hear the final names. Encore has the same prefix as Enclave, and the Enclave has proven successful so I guess they are thinking naming it Encore will make the public believe that the second Buick crossover is an Enclave Jr. I dunno.

As for Verano, well. It's okay. The product being high quality and in keeping with Buick is more important to me than the name of the vehicle. Example, I own a G8. Terrible name, great car.

• 2 weeks later...