Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Detroit Is A Good Place To Speed [Speed Limits]

8 posts in this topic

500x_Detroit_Police.jpgFaced with dwindling resources, overcrowded prisons and much more significant crimes, Detroit police are now ignoring traffic infractions. Below, ABC News describes an incident where Detroit's police chief let someone driving without a license go with merely a warning.

He certainly is a legitimate arrest," said Detroit police chief Warren Evans of that license-less driver. "But is it worth being out of service for an hour and a half in an area where the priority runs could be significant in that hour and a half?"

ABC News also reports that, "The in-car cameras and computers in most squad cars don't work so officers can't record traffic stops, run license plates and check for warrants." So basically, speeding is now fair game in the city of Detroit. We plan on putting this to the test. [<a href=" http://abcnews.go.com/US/Politics/detroit-police-chief-warren-evans-battles-crime/Story?id=8693850&page=2">ABC News]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=y3AlcttAcwI:2qLcU19nwNg:D7DqB2pKE full?i=y3AlcttAcwI:2qLcU19nwNg:V_sGLiPBp
y3AlcttAcwI

View the full article

For an infraction like going 5-10 mph over the speed limit, I could understand.

But for not having a license? How do you know the guy can even drive!? Case in point, the cop would have had to pull him over for something else to find out that he didn't have a license to begin with.

For an infraction like going 5-10 mph over the speed limit, I could understand.

But for not having a license? How do you know the guy can even drive!? Case in point, the cop would have had to pull him over for something else to find out that he didn't have a license to begin with.

and if he "can't drive" he could just cause the accident in that 1.5 hours that' he'd have to respond too.... is madatory insurance in michigan?

I've gotten off before for having my license suspended. When I was younger I was a bit of a speeder ( still am, just more careful now) and was constantly getting pulled over. If memory serves me correctly my license has been suspended at least twice that I recall, all due to speeding tickets and a headlight ticket. One morning at about 8AM I was just getting home after being out somewhere all night. The sun was in my eyes and I did not see the cop hiding on the side of parkway I was on, also my speedometer was no longer working in my Fifth Avenue. Next thing I know I'm being pulled over for doing 65 in a 55. The officer asks me if my license is clean or suspended and I said well not clean but it's not suspended as far as I know. She comes back about 2 or 3 minutes later saying my license was suspended. I asked what? When? She told me the suspension went into effect the day before, I told her I was unaware of a suspension and that I never received notice, otherwise I wouldn't be driving let alone be going over the speed limit. I explained to her I truly did not know and that I was just trying to get home, and was about 200 feet away from my exit, and only live a couple blocks away. She quietly looked me over and went back to her cruiser, about I guess 5 minutes later she comes back with a stack of tickets and says I'm not going to arrest you or impound your car, but I'm writing you these tickets and I am going to follow you to your house. I thanked her, and started driving, she followed me home, waited till I got out of my car and entered my house before she pulled away. That was in '03 I believe and if memory serves me correctly that suspension was due to an unresolved headlight ticket. The suspension lasted 1 year. I drove when I needed to but always kept an eye out for checkpoints etc.

My license hasn't been suspended since then IRC.

Edited by Delta Force79

if you dont live in Detroit its hard to understand, but police have alot of other pressing issues. like murders? the average investigation time fore a Detroit murder case is 2 shifts. If there is no leads then they go on to a new case. also Detroit cops are subject to high attack rates for simple traffic stops. So when a Det cop wants to pull some one over there's a high chance he will get shot at. also I dont think i heard of anyone gett a ticket from Detroit pd in a long time. I-94 in Detroit is 55mph but if your not doing 90-95 in the left lane then you will probably get rammed off the road. Last week I was doing 98-100 mph on 94 and was passed by a 90's Lincoln sedan.

This isn't news.

and if he "can't drive" he could just cause the accident in that 1.5 hours that' he'd have to respond too.... is madatory insurance in michigan?

yes Michigan no fault insurance is mandatory. but there is a high percentage that don't have it. simple becasue the fine of not having it is cheap compared to the actually cost. For PLPD insurance on a 90 caprice is $300 every 6 months. so $600 a year to drive a beat up car and new cars range from $900-$2400 a year to have full coverage on.

yes Michigan no fault insurance is mandatory. but there is a high percentage that don't have it. simple becasue the fine of not having it is cheap compared to the actually cost. For PLPD insurance on a 90 caprice is $300 every 6 months. so $600 a year to drive a beat up car and new cars range from $900-$2400 a year to have full coverage on.

Outside the hours of 5am to 11am, it's rare to see police in Toronto even caring about speeding.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0