Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: OMG LOL: New study says 93% of Americans favor banning text messaging while driving

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Safety, Technology, Ford

texting-while-driving.jpg

Maybe it's not surprising that Ford commissioned a study that helps bolster a sales case for some of its in-car-electronics, but the Blue Oval seems to have its finger on the pulse of the nation this time. Market researchers Penn, Schoen & Berland polled 1,000 drivers and found that 93% of them agree with the notion of a nationwide ban on texting. Those drivers seemed to be realists, however, with only 42% believing that the same idiots who punch out communiques instead of attentively piloting their 3,500 pound projectiles would actually curtail the behavior if a ban were enacted.

Ford, of course, has a solution with its SYNC voice activation technology. Fully 76% of the respondents expressed interest in a vehicle with technology like that of the Blue Oval, which is probably the main point of the survey in the first place. It's likely safer to keep a driver looking down the road with his or her hands on the wheel instead of fiddling with a handheld, but there's still an issue of distraction when a driver's thinking more about chatting instead of steering, as many studies regarding the use of hands-free phones in automobiles have shown.

For its part, Ford has been looking into driving distractions for a long time, and technology like SYNC and MyKey are the results. There's not yet a speech-to-text function, but if a ban gets enacted, look for Dearborn to be ready with just such a system to sell you.

[source: Motor Trend | Image: Edbrown05 via CC 2.0]

OMG LOL: New study says 93% of Americans favor banning text messaging while driving originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=b_KosXC--v0:JC5VKEXIjg8:wF9xT autoblog?i=b_KosXC--v0:JC5VKEXIjg8:V_sGL
b_KosXC--v0

View the full article

And that was the no-$h!-Sherlock moment of today. Please come back tomorrow for more. :P

I mean, does this actually surprise anyone?

Edited by ZL-1

And exactly how are they going to enforce this?

"Um, let me see, uh, your device... is this the SMS log? Oh, wait, that's your pictures... shes kinda cute... Did you pay for all this music?!?"

So, people who are using their phone to run a GPS map/directions or play music via your bluetooth radio are going to be automatically pestered by the police... and if you do have a relatively recent SMS in your log, you're going to need to delete the log entry ASAP... or are they going to subpeona your SMS records?

We already have a law on the books that covers careless driving... Its called "Careless Driving". Can we just use that and not have the media frenzy call to write yet another BS law on the books in 46 different ways in 43 different states?

And exactly how are they going to enforce this?

"Um, let me see, uh, your device... is this the SMS log? Oh, wait, that's your pictures... shes kinda cute... Did you pay for all this music?!?"

Discussions like that would make for some pretty fun episodes of COPS.

The #1 problem is with banning texting and cell phone handsets while driving is. . .

Will it be ENFORCED?

won't this mostly apply to people that type fast but don't know what buttons to push? cause i can text sorta well with only looking to see where every other button is......

"I guarantee you that more than 7% of Americans HAVE textED while driving. " fixed

Only 1000 votes is hardly conclusive, but I do agree that texting while driving should be illegal. Unfortunately it would be really difficult to enforce. It's easy to enforce people who are talking on the phone while driving, as they're holding it to their face. But texting can be done with the phone out of view (which is the most dangerous way to text while driving).

idiots who punch out communiques instead of attentively piloting their 3,500 pound projectiles

Lol, I like that line.

I don't text while driving (and hardly do otherwise), but what's next : banning interactive LCD screen useage while driving?

How are they NOT distractive? Hand-held cells are illegal most places- are CBs ? Is cell-based NAV OK?

And some have advocated internet access in cars.... :wacko:

This intrusion into cars (let's not forget black boxes / GPS), along with all the electronic control nannies really makes me think of video games; we're on the super highway to the illusion of freedom in 'piloting' our own vehicle.

I think we all know this is a just step typically made by the government to satisfy public opinion. With all the outrage spread by word-of-mouth, not to mention the findings after accidents directly related to texting or cell phone use, it's having to make it a LAW to hopefully make people think about it before doing it. Aside from that, having it in the law books allows for better measures to charge and prosecute violators in the event of an accident. It's no different than drunk driving laws.

A lot of problems came around once auto makers began introducing innovative features to accommodate the traveling office; however, I don't see texting as any more of a problem than doing makeup or hair, reading, tweaking the stereo or searching for a CD, etc. The major issue is the clear lack of responsibility due to the fact that texting for so many is like crack-cocaine. I see the biggest problem being the inexperienced drivers texting while driving (notice I didn't say "younger drivers") as adults are just as stupid behind the wheel with their over-confident sense of ability.

Edited by ShadowDog

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0