Hyundai September 2009 Sales

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Oct. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America today announced September sales of 31,511 units, a 27 percent increase compared with September 2008. For the calendar year to-date, Hyundai sales are up 1.4 percent compared to last year. This also marks the ninth consecutive month of significant year-over-year gains in retail market share. Hyundai leads all automotive brands in market share growth this year.

"While consumer demand following the Cash-for-Clunkers program softened during the month of September, we are encouraged with our continued growth in retail share and overall sales through the first nine months of the year," said Dave Zuchowski, vice president of sales. "With our solid product and marketing plans going into the fourth quarter, in addition to the upcoming launch of the all-new Tucson and Sonata, we are cautiously optimistic during these challenging times."

Genesis continued its strong growth trend with sales of 1,665. The fuel-efficient Elantra had an increase of 104 percent versus 2008, while the Santa Fe delivered a significant sales gain of 50 percent leading up to the introduction of the even more fuel-efficient face lifted 2010 model.

Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced by more than 790 dealerships nationwide.

CARLINE SEPTEMBER/2009 SEPTEMBER/2008 CY/2009 CY/2008

ACCENT 4,864 3,014 55,525 44,393

SONATA 7,898 8,629 93,575 97,442

ELANTRA 7,513 3,681 82,706 86,144

TIBURON 37 677 8,579 7,730

SANTA FE 7,010 4,676 58,067 56,629

AZERA 339 483 2,932 13,437

TUCSON 1,583 1,294 12,772 16,247

ENTOURAGE 28 455 3,423 4,360

VERACRUZ 574 827 8,704 8,427

GENESIS 1,665 1,029 15,934 2,855

TOTAL 31,511 24,765 342,217 337,664

SOURCE Hyundai Motor America

Genesis is selling more than a lot of other smaller sporty cars, such as the 370Z and the RX-8 and so forth.

Think this one is going to be a winner for Hyundai!

Chris

azera sucks

go entourage

genesis hardly lighting it up

I agree. The Hyundai cars are not even my radar and a great deal of their current sales increases are as a result to GM and Ford dropping a lot of their Fleet sales to Rental Agencies. LAst I checked Hyundai sold 35% of their vehicles to Rental... The Genesis has two variations under its nameplate and it managed to still sell a small amount. :confused0071:

I agree. The Hyundai cars are not even my radar and a great deal of their current sales increases are as a result to GM and Ford dropping a lot of their Fleet sales to Rental Agencies. LAst I checked Hyundai sold 35% of their vehicles to Rental... The Genesis has two variations under its nameplate and it managed to still sell a small amount. :confused0071:

You shouldn't talk about fleet sales when GM's fleet sales are probably just as high.

a used dealer broker i have bouht cars from in the past, typically holds an inventory of about 250 cars or so. Mostly they try to sell import luxury cars.

Lately, you go on their website, every week under new arrivals, a whole new batch of Sonata rental returns. Unsold Rondos too. At least 15 or 20 a week, at super low dumping prices.

That is indeed how Hyundai keeps their factories moving, fleet dumping.

genesis is a better car than G8, gen coupe better than camaro? but then add g8 + camaro sales and even with pontiacs demise, who sold a LOT more

Damn... I didn't even realize that. The G8 sold 1,005 models and the Camaro sold 7,961... The G8 is DEAD and still sold 63% as many Genesis Coupe and Sedan combined.

The Camaro may be new but so is the Genesis... and without the Foreign biased press constantly in GAGA-LAND over what they can't believe Hyundai has done after 23 years of using cheap labor to produce a mediocre product.

GM's Fleet sales were down 43% last month... Last year they were kicking about 15% to fleet. Do the math.

Actually, based on this August sales GM's fleet sales are about 23%, and that was during the C4C month.

And if fleet sales decrease by 43%, and retail sales decrease by 46%, the fleet percentage actually goes up slightly.

Buuuuuuttttt... at 23%, GM's fleet sales are far less --percentage-wise-- than hyundais' @ 35%, right ??

I was looking for hyundai fleet numbers via google... came upon a story that mentioned how passing 30% was considered "brand-damaging" and hyundai was then 32%... I think the piece was from '05. I see that number is still climbing steadily : hope they enjoy the ride.

And I am readily willing to repeatedly mention the fact that hyundai is the new rental queen, whenever I remember to.

You know- 'to get the info out there'. :wink:

Edited by balthazar

The Genesis is both an entry level luxury car and a mainstream coupe. The sedan competes with cars like the CTS, TSX/TL, IS/ES, etc, while the coupe competes with cars like the Mustang, Camaro, RX8, etc. Kind of an odd combination to put under one name, don't you guys think?

That being said, the sales are pretty low for the Genesis at 1,665. Would be interesting to see what the split is. The TSX, which is a far inferior vehicle since it isn't RWD (sarcasm) sells quite a few more than the Genesis.

Edited by siegen

Buuuuuuttttt... at 23%, GM's fleet sales are far less --percentage-wise-- than hyundais' @ 35%, right ??

I was looking for hyundai fleet numbers via google... came upon a story that mentioned how passing 30% was considered "brand-damaging" and hyundai was then 32%... I think the piece was from '05. I see that number is still climbing steadily : hope they enjoy the ride.

And I am readily willing to repeatedly mention the fact that hyundai is the new rental queen, whenever I remember to.

Excellent post... This XLR guy doesn't even realize that despite his cheer leading for Hyundai their 35% of 31,511 going to rental means that they really aren't the as successful selling to public as the SPIN would have us believe. GM on the other hand is selling a very strong amount to retail... that means US.

PS... Keep getting the info out there. The SHEEP need to be taught

Their sales are up, they make profit, who cares how they do it. Someone has to sell cars to fleets, and apparently Hyundai can make money doing it, and grow their brand. I am sure any exec at Ford, GM or Chrysler would love to have Hyundai's income statement instead of their own at the end of the year.

I give Hyundai a lot of credit for trying, Chrylser has tons of outdated product and it seems like they don't even care. Hyundai at least took a chance on a rear drive luxury sedan, and the 10 year warranty, and trying to get the Sonata on par with the CamCords of the world.

genesis is a better car than G8, gen coupe better than camaro? but then add g8 + camaro sales and even with pontiacs demise, who sold a LOT more

Who said the Genesis was better than the G8? And when I said the Genesis was selling better than other small sporty specialty cars, I meant cars like the RX-8 and the S2000, which Honda has now discontinued.

At the same time, it is not an apples to apples comparo as Camaro has 35 plus years of heritage and 8 years of no camaro sales-pent up demand.

I think Camaro will rightfully keep the number one spot.

Chris

Their sales are up, they make profit, who cares how they do it. Someone has to sell cars to fleets, and apparently Hyundai can make money doing it, and grow their brand. I am sure any exec at Ford, GM or Chrysler would love to have Hyundai's income statement instead of their own at the end of the year.

I give Hyundai a lot of credit for trying, Chrylser has tons of outdated product and it seems like they don't even care. Hyundai at least took a chance on a rear drive luxury sedan, and the 10 year warranty, and trying to get the Sonata on par with the CamCords of the world.

How does Chrysler not even care??? Your sounding more irrational than the Kool-Aide drinkers here, who are starting to sound plenty irrational as it were.

New Jeep is well recieved and up in sales.

Other Jeep product is Moving

Ram is a good truck

The RWD Stuff is good. They just need smaller cars, which Fiat will give them. Can't blame Chryco for being raped by Daimer and having no fresh product in the lower price ranges.

Chris

sonata fleet numbers have got to be even higher. i might even suggest 40-50%. camry and accord lock the retail sales. malibu and altima and mazda6 sell well also. fusion too. hyundai sells mostly elantras retail.

Who said the Genesis was better than the G8? And when I said the Genesis was selling better than other small sporty specialty cars, I meant cars like the RX-8 and the S2000, which Honda has now discontinued.

At the same time, it is not an apples to apples comparo as Camaro has 35 plus years of heritage and 8 years of no camaro sales-pent up demand.

I think Camaro will rightfully keep the number one spot.

Chris

no the reference was to other posters long ago who suggested the genesis was a better car than the g8 and would sell like hotcakes.

also a reference to all the gen coupe vs camaro threads

not started or posted by you, but it was an opportunity to bring those comparisons up again

Damn... I didn't even realize that. The G8 sold 1,005 models and the Camaro sold 7,961... The G8 is DEAD and still sold 63% as many Genesis Coupe and Sedan combined.

The Camaro may be new but so is the Genesis... and without the Foreign biased press constantly in GAGA-LAND over what they can't believe Hyundai has done after 23 years of using cheap labor to produce a mediocre product.

better yet, lets add camaro and mustang sales and compare those to genesis coupe sales.

The Genesis is both an entry level luxury car and a mainstream coupe. The sedan competes with cars like the CTS, TSX/TL, IS/ES, etc, while the coupe competes with cars like the Mustang, Camaro, RX8, etc. Kind of an odd combination to put under one name, don't you guys think?

That being said, the sales are pretty low for the Genesis at 1,665. Would be interesting to see what the split is. The TSX, which is a far inferior vehicle since it isn't RWD (sarcasm) sells quite a few more than the Genesis.

yeah but it has a big H (the original H) on the car somewhere which gives it lifetime gold cred.

Who said Hyundai was making serious coin... last I checked their Profit last quarter was pretty slim. What many fail to realize is that if theyhad GM, Ford, and Chry's labor contracts before this "situation" they would hardly be pulling in that much.

As for them taking a "Chance" on a RWD vehicle: U have to be kidding. Are U telling me that GM doesn't have any RWD vehicles? Because I have 3 RWD vehicles from GM in my garage... and all are award winners and tops in class. Not even including the Tahoe, GM still has the Vette, Camaro, CTS, and STS on sales for 2010. When the STS dies we are getting a replacement that will be, I'm sure, better in having the Haldex XWD system, larger proportions and more luxury. Truth is the Genesis doesn't compare with the CTS even.. it compares more aptly with the G8 V6 and G8 GT or on the luxo side... a 300C.. and even that's a stretch

Who said Hyundai was making serious coin... last I checked their Profit last quarter was pretty slim. What many fail to realize is that if theyhad GM, Ford, and Chry's labor contracts before this "situation" they would hardly be pulling in that much.

As for them taking a "Chance" on a RWD vehicle: U have to be kidding. Are U telling me that GM doesn't have any RWD vehicles? Because I have 3 RWD vehicles from GM in my garage... and all are award winners and tops in class. Not even including the Tahoe, GM still has the Vette, Camaro, CTS, and STS on sales for 2010. When the STS dies we are getting a replacement that will be, I'm sure, better in having the Haldex XWD system, larger proportions and more luxury. Truth is the Genesis doesn't compare with the CTS even.. it compares more aptly with the G8 V6 and G8 GT or on the luxo side... a 300C.. and even that's a stretch

I didn't mention anything about GM rear drive vehicles. I simply said I give credit to Hyundai for taking a chance making a rear drive sedan, which is way out of their comfort zone. And even more so, they got the Genesis right, it has won more automotive awards than any other car in the past year.

Hyundai is making serious money; here is a New York Times article from July 23, 2009:

"Hyundai Motor outshined its global rivals by reporting a record quarterly profit Thursday, another sign that the once middling carmaker from South Korea was translating the global economic downturn into an opportunity to catch up with American and Japanese auto giants mired in losses.

Hyundai’s net income for the quarter from April through June soared 48 percent from a year earlier to 811.9 billion won, or $650 million, the carmaker said Thursday. That compared with 546.9 billion won in net profit a year earlier and a 225 billion won profit in the first quarter of this year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business.../24hyundai.html

While Hyundai was making money, GM and Chrysler were going bankrupt and taking taxpayer money to avoid liquidation. One of those three companies has better management than the other two.

Just remember everyone, you are comparing Hyundai, entry level, cheap, to all of GM, which includes Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Chevy. Either way, they are both bad. Compare fleet sales to a bigger player, like Honda or Toyota.

Don't call out other companies for something GM is historically notorious for.

I didn't mention anything about GM rear drive vehicles. I simply said I give credit to Hyundai for taking a chance making a rear drive sedan, which is way out of their comfort zone. And even more so, they got the Genesis right, it has won more automotive awards than any other car in the past year.

Hyundai is making serious money; here is a New York Times article from July 23, 2009:

"Hyundai Motor outshined its global rivals by reporting a record quarterly profit Thursday, another sign that the once middling carmaker from South Korea was translating the global economic downturn into an opportunity to catch up with American and Japanese auto giants mired in losses.

Hyundai’s net income for the quarter from April through June soared 48 percent from a year earlier to 811.9 billion won, or $650 million, the carmaker said Thursday. That compared with 546.9 billion won in net profit a year earlier and a 225 billion won profit in the first quarter of this year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business.../24hyundai.html

While Hyundai was making money, GM and Chrysler were going bankrupt and taking taxpayer money to avoid liquidation. One of those three companies has better management than the other two.

$650 Million??? And U call that "Serious Money?"

Problem with Americans.. they never ask WHY?

$650 Million??? And U call that "Serious Money?"

Problem with Americans.. they never ask WHY?

If they make $650 million in one quarter, that would be $2.6 billion in profit over a year. Although the first quarter they made around $200 million, but that is still $850 million over the first half of the year. Pretty good considering GM hasn't been able to make just $1 over the past 5 years. An 11 year old with a lemonade stand runs a more profitable business than General Motors does.

Truth is the Genesis doesn't compare with the CTS even.. it compares more aptly with the G8 V6 and G8 GT or on the luxo side... a 300C.. and even that's a stretch

The CTS is IMHO one of the neatest cars of the post WWII era from any continent, be it Asia, Europe or the US.

The Genesis sedan doesn't even come close.

The Genesis is night and day better than the Amanti, but so is a Schwinn in a rainstorm.

Chris

An 11 year old with a lemonade stand runs a more profitable business than General Motors does.

Reasonind by idiotic analogy won't get you anywhere. The 11 year old probably couldn't build a plastic kit car from Wal-Mart, much less a real car.

GM is building some fantastic cars and selling them in the worst economy since the depression.

And your point again is what exactly?

Chris

Hyundai doesn't have GM or Chryslers legacy costs or older plants or other issues.

Once again, WTF is your point?

Chris

Reasonind by idiotic analogy won't get you anywhere. The 11 year old probably couldn't build a plastic kit car from Wal-Mart, much less a real car.

GM is building some fantastic cars and selling them in the worst economy since the depression.

And your point again is what exactly?

Chris

My point is GM does not make money. They lost $70-80 billion dollars since 2005 and needed another $60 billion from the government to avoid liquidation and closing down forever. That is a combined $130 billion dollars spent, if they were making the best cars in the world, they wouldn't lose that kind of money.

I know Hyundai doesn't have GM's legacy costs, or old, outdated plants and equipment, but who's fault is that? GM put themselves in the situation they are in. Hyundai has good management that is my point. A company with good management will keep growing, while a company with bad management will shrink and eventually go out of business.

The CTS is IMHO one of the neatest cars of the post WWII era from any continent, be it Asia, Europe or the US.

The Genesis sedan doesn't even come close.

The Genesis is night and day better than the Amanti, but so is a Schwinn in a rainstorm.

Chris

Have you driven both? Drive a Genesis 4.6 and you may be surprised.

My point is GM does not make money. They lost $70-80 billion dollars since 2005 and needed another $60 billion from the government to avoid liquidation and closing down forever. That is a combined $130 billion dollars spent, if they were making the best cars in the world, they wouldn't lose that kind of money.

I know Hyundai doesn't have GM's legacy costs, or old, outdated plants and equipment, but who's fault is that? GM put themselves in the situation they are in. Hyundai has good management that is my point. A company with good management will keep growing, while a company with bad management will shrink and eventually go out of business.

GM'slegacy costs over a thirty year period are what killed them. Every $ they had to spend on bennies and so forth above a reasonable level was a $ they could ahve spent on product or R and D or plants.

It's not like GM had bafoons running it.

GM could make money with Hyundai's cost structure.

But I will give you that Hyundai has very good management. We just can't say that all GM management are dunces and all Hyundai management are geniuses.

Chris

Have you driven both? Drive a Genesis 4.6 and you may be surprised.

It's more than just the drive, my friend. I admitted the Genesis Sedan and Coupe are both great cars, I just like the CTS better.

That being said, again the Genesis is leaps ahead of the Amanti. Hyundai is becoming a company to be reckoned with.

Chris