Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Toyota Chief Blames U.S. For Inability To Make A Profit [Carpocalypse]

23 posts in this topic

There's the door...and take ALL of your garbage with you. Thank you. We can make our own cars thank you very much!

I've always thought Jalopnik was the automotive journalism equivalent of a forum troll, but this takes the cake.

Toyoda said that the USD-YEN exchange ratio will make it difficult to return to profitability. That is a simple factual statement and from what I can tell (from the Reuters article, which certainly doesn't have much substance), there was no "blame the US" mentality or attitude. No direct quotes from Toyoda that seemed to be provocative or blaming either. I think this is Jalopnik embellishing on something in order to drive hits and ad revenue. Nothing new I suppose.

Edited by siegen

So now he knows how it feels. The weak (an purposefully manipulated) Japanese Yen has DAMAGED United States business for over 50 years.

I've always thought Jalopnik was the automotive journalism equivalent of a forum troll, but this takes the cake.

Toyoda said that the USD-YEN exchange ratio will make it difficult to return to profitability. That is a simple factual statement and from what I can tell (from the Reuters article, which certainly doesn't have much substance), there was no "blame the US" mentality or attitude. No direct quotes from Toyoda that seemed to be provocative or blaming either. I think this is Jalopnik embellishing on something in order to drive hits and ad revenue. Nothing new I suppose.

Well, if you didn't know, if it isn't sensationalized journalism, it isn't American.

Twin deficits in the US lead to a weak USD. It's something called 'Economics'... now get over it Mr Toyoda.

Even if his words were taken out of context by Jalopnik, I can't say I feel sorry at all for Toyota. They were riding high on the hog a couple years ago and expanded their lineup with all sorts of new vehicles expecting market share to skyrocket to the moon. They got greedy, and this is the payment in return.

There's the door...and take ALL of your garbage with you. Thank you. We can make our own cars thank you very much!

LOL!

Even if his words were taken out of context by Jalopnik, I can't say I feel sorry at all for Toyota. They were riding high on the hog a couple years ago and expanded their lineup with all sorts of new vehicles expecting market share to skyrocket to the moon. They got greedy, and this is the payment in return.

Pretty much. It sucks to be number one.....

Hello Toyota. Welcome to the Backlash.....

I installed this emoticon specifically for stories like this.....

:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

:violin::thumbsup:

I'm not sure the violin is tiny enough for this particular article, however.

God, I hate toyota. everything about them. they are ugly and if they were as remarkable as toyota wants you to believe they are, nobody would buy anything else. they would have already put everyone else out of business. Did i say I hated toyota? I really do. General Motors and Ford are making higher quality vehicles at a lower price and in most cases get better gas mileage than toyota. they are a copycat, phoney ass company. i hope they go completely under. (I know it probably wont happen, but I hate them)

i would hope toyota is not expecting sympathy, because they aren't getting any from here.

i at least admire honda for their technical prowess and innovation despite not liking the character of a lot of their cars.

but toyota, creations of consumer reports, they can go away for all i am concerned. i would prefer even hyundai usurp them.

i would hope toyota is not expecting sympathy, because they aren't getting any from here.

i at least admire honda for their technical prowess and innovation despite not liking the character of a lot of their cars.

but toyota, creations of consumer reports, they can go away for all i am concerned. i would prefer even hyundai usurp them.

:yes:

I can agree with you on all points. While there are very few Hondas that have ever attracted me, I can respect the engineering behind them. Honda seems to carry themselves with humility rather than the hubris of Toyota today and GM of yore.

I can agree with you on all points. While there are very few Hondas that have ever attracted me, I can respect the engineering behind them. Honda seems to carry themselves with humility rather than the hubris of Toyota today and GM of yore.

Toyota has always been a king of reverse engineering. Nothing special has it created on its own, yet it gets a red carpet for everything it does. However flawed Honda's ideology is when it comes to not having a RWD or V8, you gotta respect it. Its engineers always come around and try to solve the problems.

a lot of this for me is growing up with honda atv's motorcycles and other products that honda has built. honda has demonstrated their system in other segments besides autos, and their technological ability and corporate humility in comparison to toyota has been demonstrable for decades.

God, I hate toyota. everything about them. they are ugly and if they were as remarkable as toyota wants you to believe they are, nobody would buy anything else. they would have already put everyone else out of business. Did i say I hated toyota? I really do. General Motors and Ford are making higher quality vehicles at a lower price and in most cases get better gas mileage than toyota. they are a copycat, phoney ass company. i hope they go completely under. (I know it probably wont happen, but I hate them)

:bowdown::metal:

Toyota has always been a king of reverse engineering. Nothing special has it created on its own, yet it gets a red carpet for everything it does. However flawed Honda's ideology is when it comes to not having a RWD or V8, you gotta respect it. Its engineers always come around and try to solve the problems.

My friends who are Honda engineers would agree with you, sir.

And RWD and a V8 isn't nec to have a car company.

My other two fav. car companies other than GM are Mazda and VW, neither of which are known for V8, RWD vehicles.

Toyota on the other hand just feels cheap and under engeneered/under built to me. Have a friend who runs a body shop, had a minor fix on an Avalon, he was going to sell the repair with a clean title to me for less than half of book value. "He said, come on in and look at this thing, great car."

I was really underwhelemed. Looked at a brand new Avalon as a comparo...still not really with the game.

Honda can stay, but I'd like to personally see Toyota go.

Chris

Honda is honestly who and what they are.

Toyota, not so much.

I hope they plummet.

Awwww is this shmuck done crying yet because im pretty sure we don't care. If he doesnt like the way it is in the US then get the hell out!

Honda is honestly who and what they are.

Toyota, not so much.

I hope they plummet.

You know, I think you have to hand it to honda on two counts. The accord and the civic (and much less so on the civic). That car has evolved into a pretty nice car. It's ugly, but I think every japanese car is ugly. It's a high quality piece that pretty much speaks for itself. I think everything else honda does it below par. The ridgeline is such an obvious copycat of the Avalanche with so much less capability. The crv is just so boring and uninspired. The pilot (which began as an isuzu) is the answer to the question nobody asked. But honda has proven to be a good overall company, even though i hate to admit that.

Toyota is a different story all together. They suck at everything and sooner or later they'll be exposed all around. The media, which loves to hate America, has covered for toyota for as long as I can remember. Wouldn't surprise me if they went bankrupt 10 years ago, but the media has just kept it hidden from us.

Edited by GMman

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0