Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Zeta-based Chevy "G8" police car to be unveiled Monday

88 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Government/Legal, Pontiac, Holden, Police/Emergency, Australia

3339021747_93a6452d48_b_opt.jpg

The Pontiac G8 has not deserved its lot in life, and despite the Australians trying to steal it back with the debut of two special edition Holdens that look awfully similar, this rear-wheel-drive sport sedan will find one way or another to stay on sale in the U.S. Unfortunately, its customers won't be the general public since General Motors, after a few crossed wires, has decided not to let the G8 live on as the Chevrolet Caprice. No, the G8's new audience will be the po-po, as in law enforcement.

We've been telling you about GM's plan to introduce a G8-based cop car for some time, and all evidence points to Monday as the cruiser's official debut at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention in Denver, CO. While GM has not technically confirmed that the G8 will form the underpinnings of this new police package, the Zeta platform on which the G8 is based is the only RWD one large enough to accommodate a pair of officers and their collars. In other words, we don't expect GM to unveil a Kappa-based Pontiac Solstice police cruiser next week, as cool as that might be. So keep your eyes and ears peeled on Monday. The cops are coming and they'll be driving a G8.

[source: Automotive News, sub. req'd, Photo by Tom Worthington]

REPORT: Zeta-based Chevy "G8" police car to be unveiled Monday originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=FFHKkYgRnTg:W_E2-jcxD2M:wF9xT autoblog?i=FFHKkYgRnTg:W_E2-jcxD2M:V_sGL
FFHKkYgRnTg

View the full article

These will make awesome used cars in the future..if all pans out!

I love how super-easy it will be to spot cop cars now. Not that there are many old people in Crown Victorias in Los Angeles, but the taxis use the CVs, especially recently-decommissioned cop cars.

Yes, G8s are in and around LA, but too few to really matter.

Will this still have Pontiac badges? That is, if they don't decide to cancel it Monday morning ...

Edited by whiteknight

Pure cruelty. Shows a brazen disdain for loyal customers. This car and its fans do not deserve this. The New General Motors Company... where's your heart?

Pure cruelty. Shows a brazen disdain for loyal customers. This car and its fans do not deserve this. The New General Motors Company... where's your heart?

+1

Chris

Although I am glad to see this one live on.

Chris

Interesting that this is like.... 4 days after the Saturn deal dies.

Who is to say they are done? From what I heard a couple weeka ago there is more going on but the GM people would not detail out what it was or what kind of chances of it being approved. In fact they were unsure how to answer the questions to as how GM wanted it stated as to the Zetas future.

There are changes going on at GM everyday.

Also if enough departments don't bite on this that could leave open slots for civilian cars to help make their expected quota to help Holden.

With tight budgets and if gas goes back up it could effect how well this does. The local department here was going to lay off 80 cops due to tight budgets. They already use Impala's here and love them since they are so much cheaper on gas and have been reliable.

I see this being more something Highway Patrols and State Police wanting more for Highway enforcment vs city departments.

Guess we will have to see how many department want and can afford these as to how well it will do.

Edited by hyperv6

Pontiac is being retired as a brand, so it'll be a Chevy or some other GM brand but not a Pontiac and not a G8.

Maybe Chevy "Enforcer" or "Lawman"? Drop in a Holden hold without the scoops, a bow tie badge and there you have it. A worthy successor to the soon to be retiring Crown Victoria.

Maybe even a list of standard features.

• Front bumper reinforcement
  • Side Mirror Assembly with cabin operated Xenon search light
  • self-sealing fuel tank
  • Airbags disable switch
  • Factory integrated siren
  • Factory integrated light bar (in moonroof cavity)
  • Triple batteries (one in the engine bay two more in the trunk)
  • L99 (6.2 V8) or LLT (3.6 DI V6) power (for uniformity with the Camaro)
  • 6L80 or 6L50 tranny
  • One piece, water proof rear bench
  • Waterproof rear door panels with no window controls
  • Factory integrated cabin divider (OPTIONAL)
  • Factory integrated firearms rack (OPTIONAL)
  • Dupont Sentryglas windows and windscreen (OPTIONAL)
  • DSM Dyneema ballistic inserts in the front doors (OPTIONAL)

Maybe bring back a name from Chevy's past that was used on police trim cars in the '60s-70s---'Bel Air'.

I love how super-easy it will be to spot cop cars now. Not that there are many old people in Crown Victorias in Los Angeles, but the taxis use the CVs, especially recently-decommissioned cop cars.

Yes, G8s are in and around LA, but too few to really matter.

I don't know...I think it will make it more difficult. I'm real good at spotting CVs in my rear from quite a distance. I haven't even begun to get used to Chargers (I encounter very few of those), and a G8 will just add to the vehicles I will have to watch out for.

a plain jane G8 complete with base wheels and interior ala B4C camaro would be great... especially if for some reason it was setup as a GXP below the skin...

I don't know...I think it will make it more difficult. I'm real good at spotting CVs in my rear from quite a distance. I haven't even begun to get used to Chargers (I encounter very few of those), and a G8 will just add to the vehicles I will have to watch out for.

Crown Vics are easy to spot not because of the look of the car. They are easy to spot because (at night) they have two big fat amber lights inboard of the head lights. One look in the rear mirror and you can't miss it.

Maybe bring back a name from Chevy's past that was used on police trim cars in the '60s-70s---'Bel Air'.

That would be interesting.....

Got so many different police cars here... in the city, Crown Vics, Impalas, and Tahoes (and unmarked Escalades)...for the county, Crown Vics, Expeditions, and Tahoes, and the higwhay patrol has Chargers, Crown Vics, Tahoes, and F150 and Silverado crew cabs.

Got so many different police cars here... in the city, Crown Vics, Impalas, and Tahoes (and unmarked Escalades)...for the county, Crown Vics, Expeditions, and Tahoes, and the higwhay patrol has Chargers, Crown Vics, Tahoes, and F150 and Silverado crew cabs.

Yeesh...my condolences. I'll see the occasional Tahoe or Expedition, but that's it other than CVs.

Eh, I thought the same back in Indianapolis when all the Crown Vics started shifting to the Impalas, and then to the current Impala design. You get used to it fairly quickly. At least now, there will be no hesitation whether it is a cop or a taxi or a church lady.

Eh, I thought the same back in Indianapolis when all the Crown Vics started shifting to the Impalas, and then to the current Impala design. You get used to it fairly quickly. At least now, there will be no hesitation whether it is a cop or a taxi or a church lady.

Same here they are easy to adjust to if you know.

The hard part it to pick them out in traffic because of the light bars. Some of the LED bars are so thin you can't see them very far off or if they are a few cars ahead in traffic.

Same here they are easy to adjust to if you know.

The hard part it to pick them out in traffic because of the light bars. Some of the LED bars are so thin you can't see them very far off or if they are a few cars ahead in traffic.

A lot of the CHP don't even have roof mounted light bars.

I hav Sheriff car here that is a Ford Fusion that has no light bar just widow lights. It is not one I alway pick out fast. I blends in well.

Yup, which further complicates the "cop, cab, or immigrant" dilemma. Many immigrants don't even remove the spotlights.

I hav Sheriff car here that is a Ford Fusion that has no light bar just widow lights. It is not one I alway pick out fast. I blends in well.

Unintentionally hilarious?:huh:

Yes it should.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0