Chevrolet Caprice Police Car

I want to see the rear. Good to see the Caprice 9C1 back.

This is a Middle-Eastern Chevrolet Caprice, Australian Holden Statesman/Caprice and Chinese Buick Park Avenue (minus the Buick's interior) in Police clothes. Go to holden.com.au or to chevroletarabia.com for rear shots.

So GM.... what's the problem with building a civilian version of this to replace the W-body Impala?

Chevy might be able to bring in some Civilan versions to make up for the slow sales? Many will love this car but some will not be able to afford them.

Edited by hyperv6

Bob Lutz did not lie. He said the G8 was coming back as a Chevrolet Caprice. It has. That is the Holden Statesman/Caprice body shell. I know they are not going to just have a police version.

And Fritz was right also, this is not a rebaged G8, since it's the LWB Statesman/Caprice...

500x_Chevy-Caprice-Interior_TOP.jpgToday's return of the Chevy Caprice to the police car ranks means more than just serious hoonage potential. With a new optional technology package, we're told it'll be the most high-tech police car ever built.

From what we can see and what we're told in the press release, the folks at Australia's National Safety Agency (NSA) are collaborating with the LAPD, Holden and Chevy to show off an advanced integrated technology system with the new Chevy Caprice. The system will include:

*Large, purpose designed, multi-function, touch screen integrated into dashboard
*Intelligent power management system
*Consolidated user interface
*Automatic Licence Plate Recognition
*In-car video with live broadcast capability
*Advanced wireless connectivity
*Automatic and seamless CAD and computer system updates performed ‘on the fly' minimising down time and costly service calls
*Wireless vehicle telemetry fleet management system
*Forward looking infrared/night vision (FLIR) camera
*Fingerprint and facial recognition capability
*Virtual prisoner cell
*Latest high output low power LED lighting technology

While yes the Carbon Motors E7 would probably beat out the tech package from Chevy, the for-sale date of the new Caprice is much sooner than the expected for-sale date of the E7. Take a look through the photos below of what appear to be two different packages and tell us what you see.

500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-6.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-1.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-2.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-3.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-4.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-7.jpg
500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-INT-8.jpg

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=SpTs2EmQnyg:ShfZYpTwUB8:D7DqB2pKE full?i=SpTs2EmQnyg:ShfZYpTwUB8:V_sGLiPBp
SpTs2EmQnyg

View the full article

And Fritz was right also, this is not a rebaged G8, since it's the LWB Statesman/Caprice...

Yes, he was. The platform was not dead in this country. They said Pontiac and the G8 were dead. It is. It lives on in Australia as a Holden Commodore special edition and part of the HSV range. The "platform" is not. I saw this in another article:

The Caprice is actually sold by Holden in Australia as its flagship luxury sedan as well as in some Asian markets where it wears Buick, Chevrolet and Daewoo badges. If it proves successful as a police squad car and there is enough civilian interest in it, GM may just be persuaded to bring it to local showrooms. However, with GM’s poor financial state and tough CAFE regulations, we wouldn’t recommend holding your breath.

It would be so easy to put a hood ornament on that car and bring this version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrUpCILnbU

So GM.... what's the problem with building a civilian version of this to replace the W-body Impala?

Cost vs Pricing (i.e. GM expecting different margins for fleet and non-fleet sales)? Or this going to the US as a police car only could be a teaser of sorts... There are many possible reasons.

Edited by ZL-1

Well the only thing we know about the Impala for sure since the New GM was formed is it is a ways off.

It will be intersting to see what Lutz has planned. You know he would not settle just for a larger Malibu.

I am not saying it will be RWD but I have a feeling a lot has changed on this and many GM cars recently. GM is no where as open on their plans when they were trying to buy time and keep stock prices up.

Also with the Public Offering coming up you know we will see some big plans around that time to sell shares.

There is a good chance we make get something better than just rebadged older Holden. Only time will tell.

No one had complaints about this front end on the middle east Caprice, so why are we complaining now? Honestly.

Complainig adds a healthy dose of :violin: to every thread, LOL

What I am wondering is if what I read on GMI (which I am assuming is nothing but rumours at this point) about other Zetas being considered for the US means that Chevy could get a SWB Zeta sedan and Cadillac a LWB sedan to slot above the CTS.

Edited by ZL-1

No one had complaints about this front end on the middle east Caprice, so why are we complaining now? Honestly.

Kinda looks like the grille from the mid east Lumina (SWB Zeta), IIRC the middle east Caprice has a fancier grille w/o a bowtie..

I like the big touch screen console. But I think that company in Atlanta with the purpose built police car is going to be a strong option, since it designed with police duty in mind, and not a retro-fitted family sedan. Plus they have a diesel that gets over 30 mpg and still has strong acceleration. This car is a huge upgrade over the Impala cop car, gets them level with the Charger, and Taurus SHO. But if gas prices go back to $4 a gallon, that diesel at 30 mpg is going to look great compared to the 20 mpg Charger and Caprice.

I like the big touch screen console. But I think that company in Atlanta with the purpose built police car is going to be a strong option, since it designed with police duty in mind, and not a retro-fitted family sedan. Plus they have a diesel that gets over 30 mpg and still has strong acceleration. This car is a huge upgrade over the Impala cop car, gets them level with the Charger, and Taurus SHO. But if gas prices go back to $4 a gallon, that diesel at 30 mpg is going to look great compared to the 20 mpg Charger and Caprice.

This will only be a problem IF (and this is a big if) Carbon is able to produce cars, which I doubt will ever happen. Also, by that time, who knows, maybe the PPV will have a diesel in it too.

I think that car and the company (Carbon) is vaporware and will never get off the ground. And even though it's a diesel, isn't it likely to be 2-3x the cost of a regular cop car?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Complainig adds a healthy dose of :violin: to every thread, LOL

What I am wondering is if what I read on GMI (which I am assuming is nothing but rumours at this point) about other Zetas being considered for the US means that Chevy could get a SWB Zeta sedan and Cadillac a LWB sedan to slot above the CTS.

Kinda looks like the grille from the mid east Lumina (SWB Zeta), IIRC the middle east Caprice has a fancier grille w/o a bowtie..

Goebel said the car introduced at the convention today is a concept.

“Some of the elements, some of the styling will be different in the production version. We are not releasing all the details in terms of specs at this point,” Goebel said in a phone interview.

The changes will be made “to bring it in line with the Chevrolet look and feel.”

Diesel is pretty commonly available around here. That is something they should equip the Caprice with, they could beat Carbon to market with it. Assuming Carbon does get up and running. The government is on a big fuel efficiency push, and governments pay for police cars. Caprice needs The Ford ecoboost makes 355 hp also, that will look attractive to police departments looking to keep fuel cost down or appease the gov't greenies.

A certain hairy Proto European has already dropped hints that at least one of those is in the works.

Caprice Royale has that grille and a stand-up hood ornament, IIRC.

A certain hairy Proto European has already dropped hints that at least one of those is in the works.

I'd start with the Cadillac.

Edited by ZL-1

Caprice Royale has that grille and a stand-up hood ornament, IIRC.

Yeah.

Looks like the regular Middle East Caprice grille and trim looks like the cop car concept.

1C_gallery_big2.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

GM is working many things out. There has been a lot of truth to many of the rumours but ther detail are were not always worked out when word was leaked.

The Chevy Brand manager I got some info from said things have been pretty crazy at GM with many old pople leaving and many new people coming in. When many were ready to slit a wrist in August I told them to wait till later in Sept or Oct to see what pans out.

There were many who in August said the Zeta in any form was not going to happen. I guess this proves never to say never.

I guess the best way to sum up what I was told was going on was August was like going back to school after a long summer. A lot has changed and many or in new classes [or Jobs] with new Teachers [New managers].

One guy I talked with said he did not know who he was reporting to at that time. He is very well placed and at that point with the changes he had not yet been told who his boss was and what division other than Chevy he was responsible for in his job.

Many also forgot GM did a lot of work on new projects was rushed to get done before the Chapter 11. We are not just seeing a lot of what they had been working on like the new small Caddy and Malibu. I am not sure of the money part of the push but they also did not want to lose time on projects while they were down with the reorganization.

Things are tough yet for GM to a point but at least they are not like Chrysler saddled with a lot of poor old product for at least 2 years before Fiat can get much new in.

With the way things are now we will learn what they have been doing and watching changes daily from GM as they are not finished yet with all they are planning.

GM is working many things out. There has been a lot of truth to many of the rumours but ther detail are were not always worked out when word was leaked.

The Chevy Brand manager I got some info from said things have been pretty crazy at GM with many old pople leaving and many new people coming in. When many were ready to slit a wrist in August I told them to wait till later in Sept or Oct to see what pans out.

There were many who in August said the Zeta in any form was not going to happen. I guess this proves never to say never.

I guess the best way to sum up what I was told was going on was August was like going back to school after a long summer. A lot has changed and many or in new classes [or Jobs] with new Teachers [New managers].

One guy I talked with said he did not know who he was reporting to at that time. He is very well placed and at that point with the changes he had not yet been told who his boss was and what division other than Chevy he was responsible for in his job.

Many also forgot GM did a lot of work on new projects was rushed to get done before the Chapter 11. We are not just seeing a lot of what they had been working on like the new small Caddy and Malibu. I am not sure of the money part of the push but they also did not want to lose time on projects while they were down with the reorganization.

Things are tough yet for GM to a point but at least they are not like Chrysler saddled with a lot of poor old product for at least 2 years before Fiat can get much new in.

With the way things are now we will learn what they have been doing and watching changes daily from GM as they are not finished yet with all they are planning.

I'm going with hypey on this one...

it makes no sense to make this a cop car only. i would say that gm needs to do more to make the car different from the statemens. Fritz said he does not like rebadges, well this is a rebage of the holden statesmen and the chevy lumina of the middle east. How about having no steering wheel and instead using a joy stick to replace the steering wheel. That will save space, and lives in an accident. the steering wheels have been killing people ever since they were invented. Plus you can then drive the car from either front seat. lets say one officer is incapacitated for some reason (hart attack while driving) then the other cop can drive the car by just placing their hand on the joy stick...

Diamler is developing this first with the slc600 and now the f-cell concept.... from 2006.

it makes no sense to make this a cop car only. i would say that gm needs to do more to make the car different from the statemens. Fritz said he does not like rebadges, well this is a rebage of the holden statesmen and the chevy lumina of the middle east. How about having no steering wheel and instead using a joy stick to replace the steering wheel. That will save space, and lives in an accident. the steering wheels have been killing people ever since they were invented. Plus you can then drive the car from either front seat. lets say one officer is incapacitated for some reason (hart attack while driving) then the other cop can drive the car by just placing their hand on the joy stick...

Diamler is developing this first with the slc600 and now the f-cell concept.... from 2006.

And SAAB has a concept that is much older than 2006, with a joystick instead of a steering wheel. It's sitting on the warehouse at the SAAB Museum in Trollhättan :AH-HA_wink:

And SAAB has a concept that is much older than 2006, with a joystick instead of a steering wheel. It's sitting on the warehouse at the SAAB Museum in Trollhättan :AH-HA_wink:

I think Ford had a concept w/ a joystick in the mid '60s. Nothing can replace the steering wheel for it's simplicity and functionality, I think.