Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Wisconsin Racer Honored With Final Run Down Drag Strip In Hearse [Drag Racing]

11 posts in this topic

500x_Jerome__Miller.jpgJerome Miller loved drag racing, running an AMC Concord until he was 56 and attending races religiously until his death. His family arranged to have his hearse make one final run down his home track — his casket on board.

Miller was a racer from the start, joining the ranks of drag racers in the 1950s and racing at various levels for forty years. He took time off to raise a family, and took his boys to the track on almost every weekend there was racing, lending a hand and talking cars with all who would have it. When the nest emptied, he ran an AMC Concord until an aneurysm limited his sight, and even then he kept going to the track, even attending the Labor Day races this year. He was considered a pillar of the racing community at Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, Wisconsin. He died last Tuesday, and as a fitting tribute, his family arranged to have the hearse bearing his casket take him on one last run down strip. The time wasn't great, 45 seconds at 27 mph, but a fellow racer, upon discovering what was going on, said "So they took him on his last pass. Cool. That's cool." We agree. (Thanks for the tip mytdawg)

[Kenosha News]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=I2AGV0rmxYU:fVm_hp_DGHU:D7DqB2pKE full?i=I2AGV0rmxYU:fVm_hp_DGHU:V_sGLiPBp
I2AGV0rmxYU

View the full article

The time wasn't great, 45 seconds at 27 mph, but a fellow racer, upon discovering what was going on, said "So they took him on his last pass. Cool. That's cool."

Seriously, that was the best quote they could come up with?

Edited by siegen

Pretty cool. I always thought a Northstar would be quicker in the 1/4, though.

Doing stuff like this is the right way to give the guy a send-off.

When my Dad died, we did a classic car lap around our hometown with a bunch of his friends' classics/hot rods - including his '38 Dodge and '98 Firehawk.

I drove the Hawk, and it really felt like we were doing the right thing that day.

And some people still don't understand the strength a man can have with cars.

Awesome tribute- I hope to have a trip around a decent junkyard in my home-made casket...

Cool. Riding in Cadillac DTS with a Northstar V8 would be a cool "last ride". Good idea, glad they did it right by him.

Edited by gm4life

And some people still don't understand the strength a man can have with cars.

Awesome tribute- I hope to have a trip around a decent junkyard in my home-made casket...

They don't get how deep this runs...

^ That's what I meant to type! : 'the strength of a relationship between some people & cars'.

Very nice send off. I'm glad it was done for him.

Speaking of the bond between man and machine, has anyone seen Love the Beast? I really want to see that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room