Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevy Caprice to return as Aussie-made police car Model will be based on rwd Pontiac G8 platform

8 posts in this topic

Chevy Caprice to return as Aussie-made police car

Model will be based on rwd Pontiac G8 platform

RICK KRANZ

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

OCTOBER 5, 2009 - 10:37 AM ET

UPDATED: 10/5/09 12:22 P.M. ET

The Caprice name will return to Chevrolet in 2011 as a rear-drive police car.

The car will be engineered by General Motors Co.'s Holden subsidiary in Australia and assembled there.

The announcement was made today at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention in Denver.

The Caprice will be based on the rwd vehicle platform used to create the Pontiac G8, Chevrolet Camaro and several Holden vehicles -- including the Chevrolet Caprice that is sold in the Middle East.

The car will be marketed to police agencies here as the Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle; V-8 and V-6 engines will be offered. Dealers will begin taking orders in the fourth quarter of 2010. Deliveries are expected in the first quarter of 2011.

Pricing was not announced.

GM spokesman Brian Goebel said the company thinks the Caprice “will be a significant addition to the police community.”

The rwd Ford Crown Victoria has the bulk of the U.S. police car business, but Ford is dropping the Crown Vic in 2011. A police-pursuit front-drive Taurus is under development.

Other players in the police car segment are the rwd Dodge Charger and front-drive Chevrolet Impala. Law enforcement agencies tend to favor V-8-powered, rwd sedans because of handling characteristics and the high horsepower.

Goebel said the car introduced at the convention today is a concept.

“Some of the elements, some of the styling will be different in the production version. We are not releasing all the details in terms of specs at this point,” said Goebel, who was interviewed over the phone.

The changes will be made “to bring it in line with the Chevrolet look and feel,” he said.

Still to be determined is whether all Chevrolet dealers will be eligible to sell and service the car, Goebel said.

“The new Chevrolet Caprice police car is the right tool at the right time for law enforcement,” Jim Campbell, general manager for GM Fleet and Commercial Operations, said in a news release issued by the company.

“We asked for a lot of feedback from our police customers, which helped us develop a vehicle that is superior to the Crown Victoria in key areas.”

The 1996 Caprice was the last rwd sedan offered by Chevrolet with a police-pursuit package. Currently, Chevrolet offers a police package on the Impala sedan and Tahoe SUV.

Goebel said the car introduced at the convention today is a concept.

“Some of the elements, some of the styling will be different in the production version. We are not releasing all the details in terms of specs at this point,” Goebel said in a phone interview.

The changes will be made “to bring it in line with the Chevrolet look and feel.”

Still to be determined is whether all Chevrolet dealers will be eligible to sell and service the car, he said.

“The new Chevrolet Caprice police car is the right tool at the right time for law enforcement,” said Jim Campbell, general manager for GM Fleet and Commercial Operations, in a news release issued by the company.

“We asked for a lot of feedback from our police customers, which helped us develop a vehicle that is superior to the (Ford) Crown Victoria in key areas.”

The 1996 Caprice was the last rwd sedan offered by Chevrolet with a police pursuit package. Currently, Chevrolet offers a police package on the Impala and the Tahoe.

Who gives a sh*t They bring this over but leaves the Park avenue in China. GM should have gone over they have no idea what they are doing

Who gives a sh*t They bring this over but leaves the Park avenue in China. GM should have gone over they have no idea what they are doing

I think I read here or at GMI that the police car market is some 70K units/year. A third of that is some 23K units/year. If the car is successful with Police departments and provides a steady income stream to GM it might be worth more than sending this as a civilian market vehicle. Also, it might be the perfect tease for the civilian market for when new RWD models are ready to be launched.

I think it'd be worse if they fitted a Police package to a Malibu.

Who gives a sh*t. They bring this over but leave the Park avenue in China. GM should have gone over, they have no idea what they are doing

I give a shit and I'm sure there are plenty of members here and abroad, not to mention police officers, who give a shit. That's a pretty big shit, if you didn't notice.

At the moment, Buick has to build some credibility, which seems to be happening. After all, the press seems to agree that the LaCrosse is a better Lexus ES. When the time is right, who's to say that we won't see a rwd Lexus LS-killer from Buick? Let GM build itself back one brick at a time. You can't rebuild Rome in a day.

Edited by whiteknight

I give a shit and I'm sure there are plenty of members here and abroad, not to mention police officers, who give a shit. That's a pretty big shit, if you didn't notice.

At the moment, Buick has to build some credibility, which seems to be happening. After all, the press seems to agree that the LaCrosse is a better Lexus ES. When the time is right, who's to say that we won't see a rwd Lexus LS-killer from Buick? Let GM build itself back one brick at a time. You can't rebuild Rome in a day.

Amen...

And for those mis-informed people that don't think this is a big deal, your right this IS HUGE. Another Zeta platform vehicle coming to North America! Even if they are not offically sold to the public. Departments will sell them used and sometimes you see units on a dealers lots when a department ordered one to many. This is good news, and it will be better when I can run down to my Chevy dealer and get one myself. It is $h!ty that GM thus far won't be releasing them for the public. Also for G8 owners it means lots of parts will be around as well.

Edited by gm4life

+1

What he said.

It's not a re-badged G8. It's the Caprice sold in the Middle East with LHD. It is longer than the G8 with bigger back seat. So, Fritz was correct saying 'no re-badge of the G8'.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0