Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachiroku

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Coupe, Japan, Tokyo Motor Show, Toyota

ms2009_015-620op.jpg

Toyota's President Akio Toyoda has said that Toyota is in desperate need of an excitement injection, and here's the first dose: the Toyota FT-86 Concept.

Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept was designed by the automaker's ED2 styling studio in France and bears a remarkable resemblance to the FT-HS concept shown at the Detroit Auto Show several years back.

Unfortunately, Toyota hasn't released much information about the FT-86's platform, but we do know that it's powered by a Subaru-derived 2.0-liter boxer four sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling and, according to one source, the platform is unique to the concept. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity in check, and the overall dimensions are 163.78 inches long and 69.29 inches wide, with a wheelbase of 50.78 inches.

After the FT-86 bows in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show next month, the production model will be shown sometime next year with sales beginning sometime in late 2011 with a sticker somewhere north of $20,000.

More pics to follow...

[source: Toyota]

Continue reading Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachiroku

Toyko 2009 Preview: Toyota FT-86 Concept brings back the Hachiroku originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:23:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=83BegglM2tg:YK2JITHtPHc:wF9xT autoblog?i=83BegglM2tg:YK2JITHtPHc:V_sGL
83BegglM2tg

View the full article

But Toyota can't sell this here in the US. There just wouldn't be any profit to be made because of our horrible country! :rolleyes:

Interesting. Stopped by a local Toyota dealer to look at a used car while waiting to meet a friend at a bookstore next door.

Salesman said Toyota was giving up on RWD entirely, and even planned on making the Tundra FWD. Another salesman agreed.

Obviously both of those guys were wrong...but I wonder what the real thinking is inside of Toyota.

The Concpt pictured above makes the Genesis look like a nude italian supermodel.

Ughhhh.

Chris

But Toyota can't sell this here in the US. There just wouldn't be any profit to be made because of our horrible country! :rolleyes:

They'll just blame us when this pig doesn't sell.

Interesting...

Chris

So Toyota comes out with a drop-dead gorgeous concept that's aggressive, seemingly close to production, and CLEARLY geared towards enthusiasts, and suddenly C&G has nothing to say? Hilarious.

I hate to say it, but I really don't mind the way that concept looks. The real test will be how much they adhere to the concept for the production version.

So Toyota comes out with a drop-dead gorgeous concept that's aggressive, seemingly close to production, and CLEARLY geared towards enthusiasts, and suddenly C&G has nothing to say? Hilarious.

I like the concept of it. This is the Toyota/Subaru collaboration so I'm sure it will perform well if it keeps weight down and offers a turbo variant. I'm really interested to see what comes of it...perhaps it will convince GM to make something similar. There is no doubt Toyota needs some new designers though. This isn't so bad compared to recent products, but it isn't good.

Edited by Nick

I spy with my little eye...flush mounted light lenses! Happy Day! The profile is nothing amazing, and the front kind of looks like an angry whale shark eating, but overall I think this is actually pretty cool. If Toyota makes it and if it loose close to the concept, there may be a reason for enthusiasts to consider Toyota again.

I don't care much for the styling but that's subjective. What I do love is that it's a RWD, lightweight that'll start in the 20's. What I'm absolutely enamored with is the Boxer engine! That'll be a torque monster compared to the 4-Cylinder Genesis Coupe!

I like the concept of it. This is the Toyota/Subaru collaboration so I'm sure it will perform well if it keeps weight down and offers a turbo variant. I'm really interested to see what comes of it...perhaps it will convince GM to make something similar. There is no doubt Toyota needs some new designers though. This isn't so bad compared to recent products, but it isn't good.

I don't care much for the styling but that's subjective. What I do love is that it's a RWD, lightweight that'll start in the 20's. What I'm absolutely enamored with is the Boxer engine! That'll be a torque monster compared to the 4-Cylinder Genesis Coupe!

Pretty much sums it up.

I wonder how small alpha will be. Something like Solstice would be swell for Chevy along with the Camaro.

i think it's actually kinda cool. reminds me of what an evolved MR2 could belike.... sadly it's at best a 2+2 looking for this car. take out the rear seats, give it a very usable trunk and offer a turbo version. maybe convertible... possible good competition for the Miata? i know mazda goes above and beyond for the miata (other than giving it real brawn, current one has a 2.0L no? )

It's a great concept, much sportier than I was expecting. I wouldn't mind the production version being toned down a little bit.

Speechless. I like it, almost love it actually but ... but it's a ... Toyota. I will find where they screwed this one up, just so I can hate it.

I....like it!

Just like Honda with the CR-Z, Toyota needs to look backwards to see what made it cool at one time.

Yes, Toyota had cool cars...once upon a time.

21379683_1.jpg

93mr2_01.jpg

22.jpg

Well, we've been waiting to see this after a multitude of sketches and renderings. The Subaru engine and chassis layout are fantastic. The general profile is fine, but, like others have said, it will hopefully be toned down for production, as it has some very weird details. How soon before we see a production version?

I'm definitely not a big fan of Toyota but even I have to say that the car in that picture holds some promise. As a matter of fact, it almost kills me to say this but... I kinda like it. I still wouldn't buy it though.

I spy with my little eye...flush mounted light lenses! Happy Day! The profile is nothing amazing, and the front kind of looks like an angry whale shark eating, but overall I think this is actually pretty cool. If Toyota makes it and if it loose close to the concept, there may be a reason for enthusiasts to consider Toyota again.

:yes:

This must be the 'Toyobaru' (or 'Subayota' if you prefer) that has been talked about.

I wonder if the floormats in this one spontaneously combust because you forgot to zip-tie them down?

163" overall with a 50" wheelbase ?? Must have some staggering overhangs !! :P

Good point. I can see this keeping a great amount of its conceptual styling through to production. I would hope it would as it has some exotic appeal.

Some of that instrument panel looks straight out of Star Trek. It doesn't make me swoon like the MR2 but overall I like the concept and hope Toyota starts to release sports cars in NA again.

Anyone see the story on the color of this car?

Tetsuya Tada Cheif Engineer said they wanted a new red for this car so they came up with Shoujyouhi Red.

This is the traditional color of a Japanese Monkeys ass.

Sorry but you can't make stuff like this up. Autoweek reported this and even has a picture of the Monkey in question backside. They do match. Leave it to the Japanese to go to nature for something like this.

I wonder when this car make NA if it will be called Monkey Ass Red? :rotflmao:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0