Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

CELL PHONES MOBILE DEVICES

I grew up in RPV but now go to school in LA (Eagle Rock). Often on weekends I visit my parents in the Peninsula and family in the South Bay in general.

Redondo is cool... in the summer, it's LBJs for calorie-laden Mexican food and then Ave I/Esplanade for the sun.

I'm jealous. That area is, hands-down, the most beautiful place in the LA region by far.

Yeah, the new condo is in Cote d'Azur Villas, just off RAT Beach. Literally the last lot on the Redondo side of the PVE border. I just walk into Riviera Village whenever I'm there. Really nice Trader Joe's, and both Starbucks and Coffee Bean are within a block of each other. Only downside to the area is it's so damn far from any freeways, but PVN doesn't move too terribly most of the time.

--------------------------

Oh, AT&T is building a new tower on USC's campus. Public Meeting posters are all over the border fence.

Really, regardless of what our experiences are Reg, you need to know what towers you're closest too, and what works best in your neighborhood. My freshman year (and into sophomore) at USC, Verizon sucked. No service anywhere. Verizon sponsored the Coliseum, and when one of their guys couldn't make a call during a game, he vowed to build a tower nearby. Suddenly Verizon was on par with Cingular in the area. Now AT&T is a little slower because of the data-hogging iPhone and its popularity, and another tower is being built, this time by AT&T.

I will say this: regardless of what service you decide on, you will not have any problems with a Blackberry. Excellently made phones.

Edited by Croc

The max memory is whatever the largest Micro SD card you can currently buy is... right now, that's 32gb... Android seemed to be pretty snappy for me when I was using it and I haven't read of any speed complaints. With android you can control your home automation and music....yes... there's an app for that. Android can be ported to run on x86 machines if you really wanted to. There are a few Android based netbooks on the way. The Android browser is a cut down version of Chrome.

Google is based in the U.S. also.

The 16gb iPhone 3Gs is $199 with 2 year contract. The 4 gig MyTouch 3G is $149 with 2 year contract + $35 for a 16gb microSD card. Seems pretty much like a wash to me. Oh.. and no need to buy the MobileMe plan from Apple if you want to sync your contacts and calendar wirelessly.

even if a device has a micro sd slot it may not support max memory. check that.

google has a chance to grow more products and market.

but can the android phone play the 'x' number of seasons of friends or spongebob i have purchased through itunes....or winger videos, eh theres the rub.

basically if i get a balls to the wall smartphone its gonna be an iphone. ...i.e. anything requiring a full data plan. but some phones and plans are such that they allow some data for cheap. that is where you can save the money.

i was at the verizon store today. the samsung rogue did not impress me as much as i thought. the LG phones seemed to be the best verizon products. the env3 is free so it may win by default. the nokia twist is an interesting new twist on the cell phone.

motorola karma is prob my favorite lite phone/non iphone from AT&T. Samsung Impression is wrth a look too.

even if a device has a micro sd slot it may not support max memory. check that.

google has a chance to grow more products and market.

but can the android phone play the 'x' number of seasons of friends or spongebob i have purchased through itunes....or winger videos, eh theres the rub.

basically if i get a balls to the wall smartphone its gonna be an iphone. ...i.e. anything requiring a full data plan. but some phones and plans are such that they allow some data for cheap. that is where you can save the money.

i was at the verizon store today. the samsung rogue did not impress me as much as i thought. the LG phones seemed to be the best verizon products. the env3 is free so it may win by default. the nokia twist is an interesting new twist on the cell phone.

motorola karma is prob my favorite lite phone/non iphone from AT&T. Samsung Impression is wrth a look too.

In the case of the of MyTouch, it's currently 32gb.

As far as movies on the MyTouch.... yep, there's an app for that. And you're not locked into iTunes. You can also watch via Hulu apparently.

I'm with Verizon and have the Blackberry Tour... Absolutely love it! I'm also signed up for their HP mini with built-in VPN/wifi/etc... great alternative to the smallish tour screen and perfectly sized when a full laptop isn't required. Service has been perfect in the PacNW over the past 4 years that we've been with Verizon. I'll report on coverage with the new BB on the East Coast and in Europe after the next few months testing it out.

Seriously though... if you don't need to instantly manage a dozen email accounts, web identities, etc while having 24/7 uninterrupted access to company db's, crm's, etc then a BlackBerry really is overkill. It's perfect because I use it for work and personal, but many may find it tech-heavy. Honestly, I'd probably have an enV3 if it wasn't for work.

My dom partner has the enV Touch. He loves it and hates my BB. My business partner is about ready to convert to the Tour. hehehe....

oh... I can't use touch screens... they have problems detecting my fingertips. No big loss IMO.

In the case of the of MyTouch, it's currently 32gb.

As far as movies on the MyTouch.... yep, there's an app for that. And you're not locked into iTunes. You can also watch via Hulu apparently.

sounds good. i just looked at the coverage map for the areas i travel to, and its basically a lot of roaming and spotty coverage. I probably don't have that option then.

oh... I can't use touch screens... they have problems detecting my fingertips. No big loss IMO.

Your a zombie, huh?

Actually, I'd like to know what the screens are detecting, as its not just straight pressure... tried to use a stylus with the G1 and Storm... no go. Been too busy to Google it.

Your a zombie, huh?

Actually, I'd like to know what the screens are detecting, as its not just straight pressure... tried to use a stylus with the G1 and Storm... no go. Been too busy to Google it.

Seems to have a heat component also. My laptop trackpad is that way also and even functions as one of those "mood test" things in the settings menu.

a sales dude told me tonight that areas in question in the parts that i travel, actually do not have AT&T but alltel, but that AT&T was able to purchase the Alltel network in that area so AT&T will be assuming Alltel's network in that region, which will boost the coverage and such greatly.

looked at some more phones this evening. the LG ENv series and versa all seem like nice phones. the side clamshell design i do not initially like, but there are some advantages to it and the keyboards feel high quality. of course i like the versa, but according to what i have read the Versa is not compatible with Ford Sync. Dammit, why else would i need bluetooth then if I can't get the phone to play nice with my car? The Versa and Env3 will fit my budget. I am sure I will miss a simple slider or clamshell phone but you really kind of need to consider a qwerty phone these days. The LG phones are really well made, but not particularly attractive.

Had my wife look at the LG Xenon, Samsumg Impression, and Motorola Karma at the AT&T store. the impression and karma i like both. although the Karma seems quite like a chick phone.

Really would like to get something Motorola but all their interesting phones seem old or out of date. Like the E8 rokr, or Zine. The new Rival seems junky.

I really wish i could just get a simple thin clamshell like my samsung M500 with a little better web browser. simple small cheap phone but with lots of features and good quality.

surfed some C&G on the iPhone. the pinch and swipe and the speed at which you can browse makes the web experience really nice. i tried facebook with a new samsung rogue via verizon and it really seemed pokey. not sure why.

a sales dude told me tonight that areas in question in the parts that i travel, actually do not have AT&T but alltel, but that AT&T was able to purchase the Alltel network in that area so AT&T will be assuming Alltel's network in that region, which will boost the coverage and such greatly.

Interesting..Verizon acquired Alltel, but maybe not all of Alltel's network?

I am sure I will miss a simple slider or clamshell phone but you really kind of need to consider a qwerty phone these days. The LG phones are really well made, but not particularly attractive.

Overall, I've liked my LG chocolate slider. But the browsing is simplified..I can read my yahoo mail and gmail, news headlines, etc. but it's hard to search and surf to specific sites.

Had my wife look at the LG Xenon, Samsumg Impression, and Motorola Karma at the AT&T store. the impression and karma i like both. although the Karma seems quite like a chick phone.

Really would like to get something Motorola but all their interesting phones seem old or out of date. Like the E8 rokr, or Zine. The new Rival seems junky.

I liked the Motorola G60s flip phones I had a few years ago, overall they worked well. But the aluminum case tended to get hot in my pocket. Not good.

I'm leaning towards the Blackberry Tour for my next phone...have read about it, have to check it out in person...if I can browse the web, use Twitter, Facebook, eBay, Gmail, etc then I'd be happy.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

No Verizon bought Alltel stuff in some parts of the country. They have a small disclaimer regarding that. What is the exact story behind Alltel? Is it going to disappear into Verizon or will some of it go into ATT?

No Verizon bought Alltel stuff in some parts of the country. They have a small disclaimer regarding that. What is the exact story behind Alltel? Is it going to disappear into Verizon or will some of it go into ATT?

Here in AZ the Alltel brand is now Verizon...my understanding is the name is being phased out, replaced w/ Verizon.

Here in AZ the Alltel brand is now Verizon...my understanding is the name is being phased out, replaced w/ Verizon.

Its a shame, as Alltel had used similar technology to Verizon for a long time, without the BS... Verizon phones usually have brain damaged, overwrought software. Back when the RAZR was the top phone, You could hack your Verizon phone to run Alltel's HeloMoto firmware. This was similar with many phones, as at the time Verizon and Alltel were the biggest CDMA network users.

Alltel will eventaully become Verizon in all but a few areas. Verizon has to sell those few Alltel service areas though as part of the federal approval for the merger. I believe the situation had somthing to do with Alltel providing service for the GSM carriers in a few markets after some other acquisitions of their own.

Edited by fightingbee

That phone looks awesome.

Haven't heard about this one...will have to check it out. I'm ready for a new phone w/ Verizon now, tempted to get the Blackberry Tour, but also thinking about waiting until early '10 to see what else is available.

Haven't heard about this one...will have to check it out. I'm ready for a new phone w/ Verizon now, tempted to get the Blackberry Tour, but also thinking about waiting until early '10 to see what else is available.

There's a whole bunch of Android phones coming out with Verizon over the next couple of months. I think it's worth it to wait and see how they are. Android has a lot of potential.

Overall, I've liked my LG chocolate slider. But the browsing is simplified..I can read my yahoo mail and gmail, news headlines, etc. but it's hard to search and surf to specific sites.

I liked the Motorola G60s flip phones I had a few years ago, overall they worked well. But the aluminum case tended to get hot in my pocket. Not good.

I'm leaning towards the Blackberry Tour for my next phone...have read about it, have to check it out in person...if I can browse the web, use Twitter, Facebook, eBay, Gmail, etc then I'd be happy.

its a ND thing, at least as far as i know, but maybe the prior post described it better. the state or feds or something ruled it a monopoly so they had to sell off that part of it. verizon bought alltel but could not assume all of it to protect against monopoly.

i played with the LG phones again this weekend. the mini laptop thing is kind of cool. and the keyboard is well made. C&G looked nice on the LG's browser. the Env3 and Env touch are possible. the versa I liked until i found out about the ford sync issue, and if i got the add on keyboard then you have to open the keyboard/case to scroll contacts to make a call. the case is a nice protector for the screen though.

i gave up on the ATT motorola karma. its cool but is a serious chick phone. samsung impression is nice but verizon samsung rogue is a better version of it. I am gonna go look at the rogue again this week.. 2 rogues on a basic plan plus minimal data plan is 40 bucks a month cheaper than i phone and 50 bucks a month cheaper than 2 blackberries.

i seriously am thinking about net10 for a short time, although they have porting issues, and right now because of health reasons in the family we need to make a lot of car trips this fall / winter and i want to make sure our cell service is dependable.

since i have qwest landline i get special discounts to switch to verizon as well as ongoing bundle discounts. plus they will be bringing back one number service as well. if the wireless service is good at my house, i may even park the landline for awhile.

Edited by regfootball