Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM names Docherty as LaNeve's replacement

20 posts in this topic

GM names Docherty as LaNeve's replacement

JAMIE LAREAU

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

OCTOBER 7, 2009 - 6:24 PM ET

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. has named Susan Docherty its new vice president of U.S. sales, replacing Mark LaNeve, according to CEO Fritz Henderson.

“She brings a fresh perspective to the job and she has an extraordinarily high level of energy,” Henderson said in an interview today with Automotive News.

LaNeve, 50, is resigning effective Oct. 15 to accept a job outside the auto industry.

Docherty, 46, is currently general manager of Buick-GMC. That job will remain open for the time being, Henderson said.

Docherty assumes the new post on Oct. 16. She will also become a member of GM's executive committee.

Henderson said whoever replaced LaNeve needed to come from inside GM because the dealership network and sales role is complicated and would be difficult for an outsider to learn. He described Docherty as a very capable.

The CEO said: “I'd be very nervous about putting someone into the sales function who didn't understand how it worked at the time we're going through a dealer restructuring like we're doing.”

LaNeve has served as head of sales since March 2005.

“Mark's done a heck of a job in a very difficult environment going through this,” Henderson said. “I give him enormous credit.”

Docherty was named head of Buick-Pontiac-GMC in June 2008. Before that she was regional general manager for GM's Western Region, a job she began in 2006. There she oversaw sales, service, distribution, marketing and parts for more than 1,000 dealers in 16 states.

A native of Canada, Docherty ran Hummer before heading up GM's Western Region.

hard to know what her real strengths are. the part she was responsible for, part of it went down. and then reward her?

she kind of has the hot mid forties cougar thing going on which for me, i am alright with. doesn't mean she is most capable to lead sales.

GM needs somebody familiar with how the dealership network works and the contractual relationships while they still pare down the franchise numbers.

When it is all said and done, I don't expect her to have this job title for long. Either she will be promoted or "retire"

Boy this surprises me......am I the only one on here that thinks Docherty is about as useless as tits on a bull.....?

You're not alone.

I can't say that I've been impressed with her track record, but I don't know any of the details so I hope this is a good move.

My initial reaction was the same as the one you expressed so eloquently. :lol:

Boy this surprises me......am I the only one on here that thinks Docherty is about as useless as tits on a bull.....?

Nope, you're not.

You're not alone.

I can't say that I've been impressed with her track record, but I don't know any of the details so I hope this is a good move.

My initial reaction was the same as the one you expressed so eloquently. :lol:

Everytime I've heard her speak, or read an interview with her, she comes across as just a kool-aid spewing minion that has no real understanding of what's going on out here in the marketplace.....

GM has way too many of these people still at the helm of vital areas of the company. I remember working for Ed Mertz at Buick long ago.....now he was a GM lifer to the best of my knowledge, but was a sharp individual that truly sounded like he understood what was going on outside of Michigan....since his departure, and others like him, we just seem to have these "figure heads" that seem like they don't know much more than what the next PowerPoint presentation is telling them....

That's about the vibe I got from her too.

EDIT: No pun intended.

Edited by Camino LS6

Could they be using a woman to give the bad news to the dealers to make it sound less harsh than it would from an old man? LOL!

Susan Docherty on the G3: "You don't have to sacrifice sporty design and responsive driving to achieve impressive fuel economy."

I'm glad you had a level enough head to put it in such delicate terms. I read the post earlier today, and I started a rant, but I was so disgusted, I deleted it and turned off the computer shaking my head.

I was glad when I heard LaNeve was leaving because GM needs new blood, and less of the Wagoner regime. But putting Docherty in his place is no good. She is just as bad.

During a recent "webchat"on GM Fastlane Blogs, Susan Docherty mis-spelled the name "Riviera" as "Riveria" not once but three times, so I wrote her a steaming message that day.

Wasn't she the one saying Pontiac had a future when everyone else that wasn't blind to the truth knew the opposite?

gms-docherty-says-no-to-pontiac-g8-based

maybe they plan on getting her out in public to market to women.

its better than some german guy named 'helmut'. or, carl-peter, for that matter.

Everytime I've heard her speak, or read an interview with her, she comes across as just a kool-aid spewing minion that has no real understanding of what's going on out here in the marketplace.....

Judging by the state of Pontiac-Buick-GMC over the past few years, I'd say she has no understanding of what going on in the marketplace.

gms-docherty-says-no-to-pontiac-g8-based

maybe they plan on getting her out in public to market to women.

its better than some german guy named 'helmut'. or, carl-peter, for that matter.

You know, that's what I was just thinking. Maybe they are thinking Mercury?

Mark was alright, I just hope Susan does a good job. If she does as good of a job as she did with B/P/G then we are screwed. She might do a great job, and also I get the cougar Vibe from her as well.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0