Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Toyota's solution for troublesome floormats: Tie them down

28 posts in this topic

Filed under: Government/Legal, Recalls, Safety, Toyota

image002_opt.jpg

Good news for those of you who happen to own a Toyota or Lexus vehicle sans floormats, as the Japanese automaker has reportedly come up with a solution to the 3.8 million-vehicle recall announced last week. We haven't reviewed the documentation ourselves, but it sounds as if the answer is to zip tie the driver's side floormat to the seat rails.

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons tells Automotive News that dealers all around the country should have gotten the instructions on the so-called "semipermanent floormat installation process," which means they can continue to sell new and used vehicles with floormats in place.

Plus, dealerships are being instructed to attach a note to the nylon wire-tie instructing dealers and customers to ensure the mats are properly affixed. The warning also notes that owners should never stack multiple mats on top of one another(!). Apparently, bit of discount MacGyvery satisfies the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you own one of the recalled models, perhaps it's time to visit your dealership to get the fix taken care of.

[source: Automotive News - sub. req'd]

Toyota's solution for troublesome floormats: Tie them down originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=12zoV1uq5Js:tS8hlPd4u5g:wF9xT autoblog?i=12zoV1uq5Js:tS8hlPd4u5g:V_sGL
12zoV1uq5Js

View the full article

So will the zip tie need to be replaced every 60k like the timing belt? Does this become part of their routine "maintenance"

Classy

I'm sure Lexus is relentlessly pursuing the perfect zip tie.

Strange...I've never had to attach floor mats. They just lie there on the floor.

I'm really surprised that they don't have the little hook on the rug that holds the factory floor mat in place and away from the pedals. My Cobalt has that.

I'm really surprised that they don't have the little hook on the rug that holds the factory floor mat in place and away from the pedals. My Cobalt has that.

Yeah...my '00 Jeep has those. Never had any mats w/ holes in them, though, so I haven't used them.

GTO had little rivet-like buttons that held them in place.

My Audi has TWO clips for each of the front floor mats. Take that Lexus.

That's what Toyota uses, too... but they're often installed improperly, especially after express car washes, etc.

My Audi has TWO clips for each of the front floor mats. Take that Lexus.

And it's DBW... so pushing on the brake at speed kills the throttle. Not for left-foot brakers.

Edited by pow

I hear Red Green is performing authoried Toyota repairs now too.

rgreen.jpg

:lol:

Yeah...my '00 Jeep has those. Never had any mats w/ holes in them, though, so I haven't used them.

+1

The stock floormats have the hole strategically placed...ha ha

+1

The stock floormats have the hole strategically placed...ha ha

Though I bought it new off the lot, the dealer didn't put any mats in...on the way home, I stopped at Target and bought 2 sets...carpeted for summer, the deep grooved slush catcher ones for winter.

Here's my take: back in the day, when men were men and cars were tanks {--Sgt DynaFlow}, cars had loop-pile carpet and floor mats had hundreds of little rubber 'spikes' on the bottom. They embedded themselves in the carpet and never slid a fraction of an inch. Engineering: successful... and done. In these same days, gas pedals were anchored at the floor, preventing anything from slipping / wedging under them.

Today, most vehicles have cut-pile carpet, which tends to crush & get more slippery, relatively. My 2500HD has this carpeting, and the 'spiked' mats, but the mats still don't slide around. They have decent spikes. Wife's GP's mats deformed over time, gaining semi-permanent waves in them that could easily snag a gas pedal- those mats' spikes were little more than pimples, tho.

Also, somewhere along the way, gas pedals became these tiny, super el-cheapo plastic doodads that hang like sickly baby fruit bats from under the dash, inches and inches above the floor, annoyingly spring-loaded. Even the most expensive lux cars have ugly, generic, tiny, cheap black plastic gas pedals (even tho every single detail about new cars is 1 billion times better than a car built but 13 months ago).

Someone explain why modern vehicle engineers saw the need to re-engineer the mats so clips hold the mats in place, please. Were the spikes 'cruelty to carpeting' ?

My factory floor mats have spikes and a hook. Though the spikes have worn down, so that hook is nice to have. New floor mats in the future I think.

If the spikes wear down, the mat is moving. What is causing this- poor mat design or carpet choice ??

Here's my take: back in the day, when men were men and cars were tanks {--Sgt DynaFlow}, cars had loop-pile carpet and floor mats had hundreds of little rubber 'spikes' on the bottom. They embedded themselves in the carpet and never slid a fraction of an inch. Engineering: successful... and done. In these same days, gas pedals were anchored at the floor, preventing anything from slipping / wedging under them.

Today, most vehicles have cut-pile carpet, which tends to crush & get more slippery, relatively. My 2500HD has this carpeting, and the 'spiked' mats, but the mats still don't slide around. They have decent spikes. Wife's GP's mats deformed over time, gaining semi-permanent waves in them that could easily snag a gas pedal- those mats' spikes were little more than pimples, tho.

Also, somewhere along the way, gas pedals became these tiny, super el-cheapo plastic doodads that hang like sickly baby fruit bats from under the dash, inches and inches above the floor, annoyingly spring-loaded. Even the most expensive lux cars have ugly, generic, tiny, cheap black plastic gas pedals (even tho every single detail about new cars is 1 billion times better than a car built but 13 months ago).

Someone explain why modern vehicle engineers saw the need to re-engineer the mats so clips hold the mats in place, please. Were the spikes 'cruelty to carpeting' ?

Preach on brother Balthy!

My Tempest didn't have floor mats or rug... just the rubber mat. A set of cheap Pep Boys floormats and I was in business.

Years later, I discovered why they never moved... the exhaust ran close to the floor and everything had melted together.

Wish the '99 Bonne's mats stayed still... without the melting, of course.

Wow, my wife's little Korean car has better engineering in its lousy floor mats than a Lexus?

picard.jpg

There's a swiveling hook that goes through a hole in the mat. It even allows for an extension so I can put winter mats in and have them stay put as well.

Edited by ShadowDog

I wonder if "semipermanent floormat installation process," is part of Toyota's "semipermanent loss process"?

And it's DBW... so pushing on the brake at speed kills the throttle. Not for left-foot brakers.

Interesting, didn't know that. I have a manual so I would never be left-foot braking anyway.

Today, most vehicles have cut-pile carpet, which tends to crush & get more slippery, relatively.

Now that you mention it, the carpet in the past 10 yrs or so has become paper thin on a lot of cars also. My VUE has really thin looking carpet in it, and some cheaper new cars, a Fit or Versa for example, even have this stuff that looks more like a heavy felt for carpeting.

In looking at that pic at the thread head- the toyota carpet looks about as substantial as mini-golf astroturf... ie; plastic. No wonder mats slide around to the point they need to be tethered. Cheap cheap cheap.

Carpet is overrated. You don't have this problem in race cars..just leave out the carpet and the mats and spray the floor with truck bed liner stuff... :)

Carpet is overrated. You don't have this problem in race cars..just leave out the carpet and the mats and spray the floor with truck bed liner stuff... :)

Actually, I do feel that way (at least in trucks) - that's why my last two Silverados were ordered with the carpet delete option.

Carpet would have been ruined in short order, and I saved a few bucks on the deal.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room