Pancake/Waffle Syrup

Croc

Favorite Syrup  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Pancake/Waffle Syrup?

• Grade A (Light) Maple Syrup
    • Grade A (Amber) Maple Syrup
    • Grade A (Dark Amber) Maple Syrup
    • Grade B Maple Syrup
    • Golden Syrup
    • Fruit Syrup (Saskatoon, Chokecherry, etc.)
    • Other (Natural, like compotes, whipped cream, or peanut butter)
    • Other (Artificial, like Corn Syrup/Imitation Maple Syrup)

I prefer Grade B Maple Syrup. I find Grade A to be too sweet, and I like the "Maple-y" flavor of the artificial junk like Log Cabin breakfast syrup, but I cannot bring myself to knowingly consume High Fructose Corn Syrup for health reasons, so I acted upon a recommendation I found on the interwebs that Grade B was most excellent with regards to tasting like Maple. And so it is.

My current jug is a nice large container from Whole Foods' 365 private label.

My father's friend, before he passed away, owned a farm that produced maple syrup. He used to give it to us by the gallon, grade A amber, so that's pretty much all we ate when I was growing up. Other than that, I've only ever had Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth, and then whatever else has been on the table when I've gone out for breakfast. But I, too, feel the same way about high fructose corn syrup and make it a point to eat as little as possible. It's fall in New England; I need to hit a local farm and pick up some of the real stuff, and maybe try some grade B amber since I've never had it before.

I forgot to add above: Grade B is the cheapest of the maple syrup grades (well, excluding Grade C, which is only for commercial uses), and IMO tastes the closest to the artificial stuff. The lighter grades just don't have enough "maple" flavor to them for me.

pow, that's not weird. Honey is good for you. I have honey in the house all the time. It's good in tea and on oatmeal. Honey has medicinal and antibacterial properties, and mixed with a little plain yogurt, it even makes a great face mask. Viable honey has been found in Egyptian tombs. Save the honey bees! :soapbox:

pow, that's not weird. Honey is good for you. I have honey in the house all the time. It's good in tea and on oatmeal. Honey has medicinal and antibacterial properties, and mixed with a little plain yogurt, it even makes a great face mask. Viable honey has been found in Egyptian tombs. Save the honey bees! :soapbox:

Honey drizzled on top of Greek yogurt is sooo good, especially with chopped up frozen mango and fresh blueberries.

kid was eating too much syrup so i got some trader joes for her. the real maple, and then an agave/maple blend. both are good.

when funds are low i get her either what is on sale or LOG CABIN (no HFCS although it still says 'corn syrup').

mrs butterworths tastes the best.

i did get the kid pure agave nectar which tastes like an inbetween of honey and maple.

i don't eat pancakes or waffles anymore (ok, once in a while i will have an eggo). i started buying sugar free syrups. the calories roughly 85-90% less than most reg syrups. the hungry jack is a bit watery. the mrs butterworth sugar free is better. I have not tried carey's yet.

i actually do go through quite a bit of the sugar free stuff. i make oatmeal and flavor it / sweeten it with 1/4-1/2 of the syrup and some splenda.

I don't know the difference, so I had to google Aunt Jemima. That's what my parents would put on my pancakes when they made them for me as a kid. It tasted fine. I looked it up...the original syrup is corn-based.

(Though I have had maple syrups, and they taste great ... I didn't read the label for the type or grade).

Edited by trinacriabob

Love dark amber maple syrup, but I can get buy on the stuff I buy at the store.

BTW, Croc, Log Cabin no longer contains HFCS. :D

Hm. Wonder what the syrup now is, since real sugar is crystalline. It surely isn't Golden Syrup, so next time I'm at a generic grocery I'll have to look it up.

Honey is good for you. It's good in tea

Oh, yeah, in tea. Now that colder weather is approaching, I will be drinking a lot of Earl Grey tea with honey in it, sitting in a coffeehouse somewhere.

Back to pancakes...

I like Grade A dark amber maple syrup.

I love honey... I like honey on waffles but not pancakes. I consume local honey in my tea in the months of April and May to help with my allergies/voice.