Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: VIDEO: 24 Hours of LeMons: Toyota MR2 dicing with a Buick LeSabre at The Lamest Day

16 posts in this topic

Filed under: Motorsports, Videos, Buick, Toyota

lamestday1.jpg
Toyota MR2 chasing down a Buick LeSabre at Nelson Ledges - click above image to watch the video

You might have heard of this 24 Hours of LeMons traveling sideshow by now. You know, a bunch of $500 cars dropping mufflers all over the place as they pointlessly race around a track. Cruel weirdos dressed up like judges forcing confused, sweaty drivers to write, "Even though I wrote I will not go four wheels off one hundred times on my car, I still went four wheels off." Or Worse. Oh, and if you win the race you get $1,500 in nickels.

Despite all that, the one thing you might not know about the 24 Hours of LeMons is that it's real racing. Some of it pretty good, too. The cars might look a little off, and the drivers might not know a racing line from a fishing line, but what takes place on track is about as real as wheel to wheel racing gets. Proof? Make the jump and watch the video of a Toyota MR2 straight up battling with a Buick LeSabre for over seven minutes on the famous Nelson Ledges race track during last weekend's The Lamest Day. Good stuff, if you're into that whole cheapo car racing thing. Tip of the budget Pyrotect to Dave for the vid!

[source:
]

Continue reading VIDEO: 24 Hours of LeMons: Toyota MR2 dicing with a Buick LeSabre at The Lamest Day

VIDEO: 24 Hours of LeMons: Toyota MR2 dicing with a Buick LeSabre at The Lamest Day originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:54:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=76b1-_8LhlA:h720pKISP4w:wF9xT autoblog?i=76b1-_8LhlA:h720pKISP4w:V_sGL
76b1-_8LhlA

View the full article

It does look like fun.

I think the Buick could have dominated with a real set of shocks - did you see it rebounding its way over the rough spots?

Now was that Dynaride, or the Gran Touring suspension package? Whatever it is, it is BAD ASS! Go Buick! That ol' 3800 walked away from the MR2 on the straightaways. Man, I'd love to be out there, it looks like great fun.:) Edited by ocnblu

I so wanted to go to that, Nelson Ledges is a great treack, used to corner work there during my SCCA corner working days.

Haven't been back there since my friend Glenn was killed there. I want to go back some day, but not yet...

Chris

It does look like fun.

I think the Buick could have dominated with a real set of shocks - did you see it rebounding its way over the rough spots?

IIRC shocks are considered a safety item like the rollcage and tires, and do not have to be included in the $500 purchase price of the car.

I've wanted to get a Cheers and Gears team together to do something similar. You don't even need a racing lic to do it, IIRC.

Maybe 68 still has his Buick Roadmaster...hmmm...lots more fun than a demo derby for that old car....

Chris

I've wanted to get a Cheers and Gears team together to do something similar. You don't even need a racing lic to do it, IIRC.

A C&G team is definitely a cool idea. I'd love to set up a team, but I don't have 3-5 other people to go in.

Very cool...I went to a couple events at Nelson Ledges in the early '90s when I lived in Kent. Great track.

IIRC shocks are considered a safety item like the rollcage and tires, and do not have to be included in the $500 purchase price of the car.

Maybe 68 still has his Buick Roadmaster...hmmm...lots more fun than a demo derby for that old car....

Chris

Not to take credit away from you Chris, I was thinking about the exact same thing. May be have a team of teams and participate in different Lemons around the year. For e.g. if it is south may be few of us here can take part, it is in north, you and others. I have seen that we have people who have knack of finding some great deals on craigslist. We can just look around and ship the cars around. It is much more fun than demo derby. All we need is investment in good communications equipment, tools and $500 a piece for every piece of junk we can get and we are in business.

Not to take credit away from you Chris, I was thinking about the exact same thing. May be have a team of teams and participate in different Lemons around the year. For e.g. if it is south may be few of us here can take part, it is in north, you and others. I have seen that we have people who have knack of finding some great deals on craigslist. We can just look around and ship the cars around. It is much more fun than demo derby. All we need is investment in good communications equipment, tools and $500 a piece for every piece of junk we can get and we are in business.

If your serious I could be serious.

And the distance thing is not that hard. Doubt we'd get more than 4-5 guys to do it anyways, and I'd rather drive to Florida than not do it at all.

Maybe we could do this next year.

Chris

If your serious I could be serious.

And the distance thing is not that hard. Doubt we'd get more than 4-5 guys to do it anyways, and I'd rather drive to Florida than not do it at all.

Maybe we could do this next year.

Chris

Hey I always wanted to have a Diesel Silverado and raid the Paris Dakar Rally. May be this will be a starting point. :) I grew up go-karting, so any racing including NASCAR is fun when you actually drive. :AH-HA_wink:

If you grew up Karting you would have a "lap up' on me when it comes to driving.

Chris

If you grew up Karting you would have a "lap up' on me when it comes to driving.

Chris

Naah. I have not raced in 12 years, while you are a consistent SCCA member. You will be better than me. :)

Chris, let's look into the Lemons races. I think we can have something there.

Off/Topic...

Agreed...although in autocross I am usually mid pack at best....and this year I've been running mostly only the Buckeye Miata Club events as work has been a little slow.

Although last Sunday....

Guy running #2 in the Buckeye Miata Club was pulling a 41.2XXX (C Stock)

Guy who was #1 in SCCA local OVR region Was running 41.3XXX

I pulled a 41.6XXX

Real happy with that one.

If your ever coming north again, would love to meet you. Also...Local Ford dealer has a yellow 2 Door 2009 Cobalt SS/TC Two door on his lot for like 18K....5,000 miles....

Might go look at that later today. Not really in a position to buy but 300 HP with the computer upgrade....hmmmm...WOW!

Sorry to go off topic.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room