Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Motor Authority: Marchionne: Chrysler Profitable By 2011

3 posts in this topic

sergio-marchionne_100230499_t.gif With Chrysler’s new partner Fiat making the hard and fast decisions, the automaker is now on track to return to profitability. Even with the still-floundering U.S. economy and fluctuating exchange rates, new CEO Sergio Marchionne is confident Chrysler will be profitable within the next two years. On November 4 Marchionne will ...

View the full article

I'll believe it when I see it.

Honestly, the best thing they can do right now is work on making the Avenger competitive, not rolling out a big SUV like the Durango. Put it on hold.

The Avenger has a good foundation. All it needs is a good interior, R/T suspension tuning on all models, at least the option of a 6-speed with the 2.4, replace the 3.5 with the 4.0 (since its available now), added more sound deadening, and that fixes everything that is wrong with it. Then it would actually be competitive in the largest, most important segment. And it could be done relatively quickly.

If I don't see something like that and actual development mules being spotted for new product, well then I don't have much hope. Which is really depressing.

The Avenger has a good foundation. All it needs is a good interior, R/T suspension tuning on all models, at least the option of a 6-speed with the 2.4, replace the 3.5 with the 4.0 (since its available now), added more sound deadening, and that fixes everything that is wrong with it. Then it would actually be competitive in the largest, most important segment. And it could be done relatively quickly.

Yeah, but it's ugly. Even if they add refinements, no one wants to spend $25K on a car they can get for $10K with 20K miles. The bones may be good, but it needs new sheetmetal, which is costly.

Meanwhile, the Lancia Delta might come over here as a Chrysler.

lancia-delta.jpg