Give me (a) Liberty, or give me death....

daves87rs

:facepalm:

Not again.

Okay, my BIL just traded in his Cavalier for a Pontiac Aztek. He loves it, which is cool.

Now, the wifie wants an SUV. Not a Tek, but a Jeep Liberty. The early models (because they look like Jeeps :sign0200: )

Since they killed her beloved Vibe, her heart is set on one of these things. :yes:

I guess this could work, since I was planning to get her a used one anyways (car).

I have to admit, do like the the looks of em'.........

So, anybody have some good info on these things? I know older jeeps, but not these things.......

Edited by daves87rs

I rode in my cousin's 2001 on Saturday night. She bought it new, it now has 104k miles and the only thing that's ever gone wrong is the a/c quit. It is still very solid. For some odd reason, she wants to replace it with a CR-V, even though she's had good luck with 2 Jeeps in a row.

I rode in my cousin's 2001 on Saturday night. She bought it new, it now has 104k miles and the only thing that's ever gone wrong is the a/c quit. It is still very solid. For some odd reason, she wants to replace it with a CR-V, even though she's had good luck with 2 Jeeps in a row.

Interesting.

I've heard a mixed bag about them....

I don't care for them.

My mother had one and I found it to be twitchy to drive, and a bit unstable on the highway.

Not awful, but far from rock solid.

My sister's definitely felt more sensitive to crosswinds compared to my Grand Cherokee. Felt tall and narrow in comparison. I drove it from Phoenix to San Diego and back a couple times, wasn't a bad overall to drive. The lack of height adjustment on the seat was irritating (base model). The Mercedes-style power window switches on the console take some getting used to if you aren't familiar w/ MB details.

One thing that took some getting used to for me relative to the GC is that the windshield is pretty vertical and the dash very shallow... very upright feeling.

As far as the overall design, for a small Jeep I prefer the XJ Cherokee, but those haven't been sold since '00-01, so it would probably be hard to find one now w/o high miles and wear.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

My sister's definitely felt more sensitive to crosswinds compared to my Grand Cherokee. Felt tall and narrow in comparison. I drove it from Phoenix to San Diego and back a couple times, wasn't a bad overall to drive. The lack of height adjustment on the seat was irritating (base model). The Mercedes-style power window switches on the console take some getting used to if you aren't familiar w/ MB details.

One thing that took some getting used to for me relative to the GC is that the windshield is pretty vertical and the dash very shallow... very upright feeling.

As far as the overall design, for a small Jeep I prefer the XJ Cherokee, but those haven't been sold since '00-01, so it would probably be hard to find one now w/o high miles and wear.

True....

my aunt had a 2003 Liberty Limited 3.7 and it was a boatload of troubles. Over 60k miles almost everything worked itself loose and it needed a transmission.

These SUVs also have very little in the ways of interior space and have a very high center of gravity (ie very rollover prone)

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

As far as looks go, I'd also tell you to go for the Renegade package:

Jeep-Liberty_Renegade_3_7_2005_800x.jpg

I couldn't stand the cheeky-ness of the lesser Liberties. It's too damn cute and not enough Jeep.

Then again, I'm not certain if the 2.8 diesel was available on the Renegade.

I'd also keep your range of what years to buy from 2005 - 2007.

As far as looks go, I'd also tell you to go for the Renegade package:

Jeep-Liberty_Renegade_3_7_2005_800x.jpg

I couldn't stand the cheeky-ness of the lesser Liberties. It's too damn cute and not enough Jeep.

Then again, I'm not certain if the 2.8 diesel was available on the Renegade.

I'd also keep your range of what years to buy from 2005 - 2007.

Now that is a Jeep I could live with.....

If you can find one, you might also think about an older non Grand Cherokee Jeep. Those came with the inline six and were pretty reliable and make pretty good offroad/winter vehicles.

Sadly, what CFC didn't kill of these vehicles age and milage ususally have.

+1 on the rollover and narrowness issue. You all know my passion for salvage yards, I've seen wayyy to many of these (Liberty) rolled over.

Personally, with peak oil and the weak dollar, I would hesitate to buy anything thats less than about 30+ MPG. But that's just ME...and I'm probably the only guy on C and G that feels that way.

Chris

That being said, you have a small son and you will want to do things with him. A Liberty would do fairly well towing a small pop up camper or a light boat.

Chris

...and one last thought, sorry to post slut in your thread. I really, really , really would talk to owners about actual fuel economy before you pull the lever and write a check.

...perhaps it's just my experience, but I've known several people with these that get in the low teens from a fuel economy standpoint, and a few others that get 15-16, maybe 17. For those kind of figures, you may be happier with a slightly larger vehicle.

Harder to drive, but you may not be done having kids...

Chris

...and one last thought, sorry to post slut in your thread. I really, really , really would talk to owners about actual fuel economy before you pull the lever and write a check.

...perhaps it's just my experience, but I've known several people with these that get in the low teens from a fuel economy standpoint, and a few others that get 15-16, maybe 17. For those kind of figures, you may be happier with a slightly larger vehicle.

Chris

That's okay...it's something to think about.

I thought ahead on this one. Whatever SUV she gets, it is not going everywhere. Just when we need it.

I'm rolling a fleet of three compact cars, and all 3 will still be here for a while.

We're still considering a Vue( hoping not) or a Escape also.

I'd rather have an Escape because they seem to hold up very well, and tend to be decent on gas...

If you can find one, you might also think about an older non Grand Cherokee Jeep. Those came with the inline six and were pretty reliable and make pretty good offroad/winter vehicles.

Sadly, what CFC didn't kill of these vehicles age and milage ususally have.

+1 on the rollover and narrowness issue. You all know my passion for salvage yards, I've seen wayyy to many of these (Liberty) rolled over.

Personally, with peak oil and the weak dollar, I would hesitate to buy anything thats less than about 30+ MPG. But that's just ME...and I'm probably the only guy on C and G that feels that way.

Chris

Nope, you're not the only one....

I've heard alot of different opinions about Liberties. Originally that's what I was planning on buying when I got my Grand Cherokee, but after driving it, I just felt like it was skittish, if that makes sense, and definitely did not inspire confidence at high speeds or in severe crosswinds. Also, my Grand Cherokee has the 4.0 inline 6, and it gets better mileage than my friends Liberty with the 3.7. Something to think about though, I only average about 18 in combined daily driving.

:facepalm:

Not again.

Okay, my BIL just traded in his Cavalier for a Pontiac Aztek. He loves it, which is cool.

Now, the wifie wants an SUV. Not a Tek, but a Jeep Liberty. The early models (because they look like Jeeps :sign0200: )

Since they killed her beloved Vibe, her heart is set on one of these things. :yes:

I guess this could work, since I was planning to get her a used one anyways (car).

I have to admit, do like the the looks of em'.........

So, anybody have some good info on these things? I know older jeeps, but not these things.......

Well I'm late to this party.....but I had two of them in the past and loved both of them.......

They are more truckish and the only real downsides are they are kinda sluggish (heavy for the 3.7L) and they do suck the gas.

But other than that, they were really enjoyable. My first one was a Limited with an automatic. The earlier Liberty's had pretty decent leather and plastics (even if hard) and mine was tight as a drum. My second one was a Sport with a 6-speed manual. Those are hard, if impossible to find....I had to special order mine. But the manual was very smooth to shift and drive.....MUCH smoother than the Wrangler with a stick I had awhile back.

I'd say go for it. Just make sure you get one that has been taken care of relatively well......I always liked them because they stood out from the typical crowd of like-sized crossovers....it was meatier, tougher looking I guess.....

Now that is a Jeep I could live with.....

Do alot of research....over the years, there were some interesting packages available like the Renegade package.....some of them might have been regional option packages, but you can find a sharp, kinda unique Liberty out there. I think the "Freedom" package was one of them.....

Chris

Trust me....they suck gas.....but really, I liked mine alot.....and prolly would overlook that if I got one again. It was really the only downside.....for me.....

I think with my automatic, I averaged around 14-16mpg. The 6-speed was much better.....closer to 20.

The 3.7L is not a bad engine.....mine I remember being pretty refined for a trucklet SUV.....it just seemed overburdened at time with the Liberty's weight....but I never remember it being rowdy or rackety....

Also, my Grand Cherokee has the 4.0 inline 6, and it gets better mileage than my friends Liberty with the 3.7. Something to think about though, I only average about 18 in combined daily driving.

Same here...my GC 4.0 l6 averages around 18 mpg in my freeway/in-town/suburbia 50 mile commute. Not bad for a comfortable small-midsize SUV. I've been driving it near daily for over 9 years and 104k miles now..

Do alot of research....over the years, there were some interesting packages available like the Renegade package.....some of them might have been regional option packages, but you can find a sharp, kinda unique Liberty out there. I think the "Freedom" package was one of them.....

I'll have to look into that.....thanks!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now that is cool!