Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Jalopnik Vs. GM: It's On! [GM Vs Jalopnik]

35 posts in this topic

500x_Lutz_Versus_Siler.jpgIt's official. Jalopnik's Wes Siler will race GM's former vice-chairman Bob "Maximum Marketing" Lutz on October 29th at New York's Monticello Motor Club. Better news? You may be able to race Bob and Wes. May the best car win, bitches.

If you're not sure what's going on — here's the back-story. In a media conference call last month, while announcing the General's new "May The Best Car Win" marketing campaign, Bob Lutz told journalists he'd race a CTS-V versus any production car on Laguna Seca out west. Matt Hardigree came up with the idea to call him out on his shenanigans. I agreed he should let Bob know we'd be willing to put Jalopnik's road test editor Wes Siler up against the "Maximum Madman." Lutz accepted and now it's on. Yes, that's right, we'll be racing Bob in a Jaguar XFR (Mercedes wasn't too keen on the idea of the C63 AMG vs the CTS-V, but that's OK, we're comfortable with the XFR) and better news? You can be there too.

Do you want to have a go at Wes and Bob in your own production vehicle? Here's how it's going to work.

● You go to Fastlane and read Bob's post.

● Then go to this website and sign up.

● Then we help pick the folks we'll see at Monticello.

● Then it's on like Donkey Kong on October 29th.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=W-uLMJGpx5I:osTmQAHIXA8:D7DqB2pKE full?i=W-uLMJGpx5I:osTmQAHIXA8:V_sGLiPBp
W-uLMJGpx5I

View the full article

Jaguar XFR? :lol: He's setting himself up for failure against the mighty CTS-V.

Oh this aughtta be good.....

I'm amused that Benz wussed out.

edit: SMK, I see you lurking there.... writing a post full of crow you're gonna have to eat later?

I hope the Jag wins, but it is slower in a straight line so it will be tough. The M5 is really the car to use, it can beat all the other cars in that class in the corners. The XF is too heavy, and needs the aluminum chassis, once it gets that it could be the quickest car in the class.

This really depends on how good a drive Bob Lutz is, the Jag is close in performance, a good driver can win with a slower car.

I hope the Jag wins, but it is slower in a straight line so it will be tough. The M5 is really the car to use, it can beat all the other cars in that class in the corners.

Last time I checked the reviews, it didn't, and corner carving was generally in the CTS-V's favour.

Either way, I can't wait to see this. Automotive companies should be doing this sort of thing against each other, pitting their cars against others. It'd make for some friendly competition, and would maybe make for some even better engineering.

I hope the Jag wins, but it is slower in a straight line so it will be tough. The M5 is really the car to use, it can beat all the other cars in that class in the corners. The XF is too heavy, and needs the aluminum chassis, once it gets that it could be the quickest car in the class.

This really depends on how good a drive Bob Lutz is, the Jag is close in performance, a good driver can win with a slower car.

1. now at least you're not even bother hiding your hate for GM.

2. The current M5 was already beat by the CTS-V at the Nurburgring.... ya know, that race track with all those nasty corners?

3. If/When.... it's great how you can make excuses for Jaguar's "failings"

4. Bob is race trained.

5. The Jag is not close in performance.

Pittsburgh must be a pretty big town.

Will there be video footage of this, complete with Bob doing a touchdown dance at the end, while bikini girls are holding up placards that display the prices of both vehicles?

I could totally take him and his dumb CTS-V.

Just ram him off the track on the first turn like I do in NFS and then go on to victory!

1. now at least you're not even bother hiding your hate for GM.

2. The current M5 was already beat by the CTS-V at the Nurburgring.... ya know, that race track with all those nasty corners?

3. If/When.... it's great how you can make excuses for Jaguar's "failings"

4. Bob is race trained.

5. The Jag is not close in performance.

The Jaguar's biggest disadvantage is in acceleration, I've seen 3.9-4.3 seconds for the CTS-V while the XFR is 4.3-4.4 seconds depending on who did the test. But in 50-70 mph acceleration they are about the same, 1.9 seconds. The XFR's braking is just a couple feet more and handling/skidpad are close. The XFR is designed more for luxury and comfort over being a racer, plus it is too heavy (the aluminum body can't come soon enough). Given the same driver's the CTS-V is going to post a faster time, but the cars are close enough that a really good driver could win with the Jaguar.

Something that is interesting, is the CTS-V has a .36 drag coefficient, an S-class has a .26 cD. Shouldn't a sports car be more aerodynamic? Speaking of which, an S65 AMG and a CTS-V would be an interesting race.

Will Maximum Bob challenge the M5 next summer?

Something that is interesting, is the CTS-V has a .36 drag coefficient, an S-class has a .26 cD. Shouldn't a sports car be more aerodynamic?

Yeah that is why F1 cars have drag coeff. ranging between 0.7 to 1.0 depending on the circuit they race.

It's a great time to be a GM fan...and things like this are making it fun.

May the CTS V win!

Maybe in a few years SMK will realize what awesome cars GM is in the process of giving us.

Chris

The Jaguar's biggest disadvantage is in acceleration, I've seen 3.9-4.3 seconds for the CTS-V while the XFR is 4.3-4.4 seconds depending on who did the test. But in 50-70 mph acceleration they are about the same, 1.9 seconds. The CTS's braking is just a couple feet less and handling/skidpad are close. The XFR is designed more for luxury and comfort over being a racer, plus it is too heavy (the aluminum body can't come soon enough). Given the same driver's the CTS-V is going to post a faster time, but the cars are close enough that a really good driver could win with the Jaguar.

Something that is interesting, is the CTS-V has a .36 drag coefficient, an S-class has a .26 cD. Shouldn't a sports car be more aerodynamic? Speaking of which, an S65 AMG and a CTS-V would be an interesting race.

Will the M5 challenge Maximum Bob next summer?

The Jaguar's biggest disadvantage is in acceleration, I've seen 3.9-4.3 seconds for the CTS-V while the XFR is 4.3-4.4 seconds depending on who did the test. But in 50-70 mph acceleration they are about the same, 1.9 seconds. The XFR's braking is just a couple feet more and handling/skidpad are close. The XFR is designed more for luxury and comfort over being a racer, plus it is too heavy (the aluminum body can't come soon enough). Given the same driver's the CTS-V is going to post a faster time, but the cars are close enough that a really good driver could win with the Jaguar.

Will Maximum Bob challenge the M5 next summer?

I think we all see where you are coming from with this.

Edited by FloydHendershot

Last time I checked the reviews, it didn't, and corner carving was generally in the CTS-V's favour.

Either way, I can't wait to see this. Automotive companies should be doing this sort of thing against each other, pitting their cars against others. It'd make for some friendly competition, and would maybe make for some even better engineering.

They used to to do this sort of thing all the time and when I first read this I thought of the GTO, Pontiac, that is accomplishing things no one thought. But still to this day they do similarly do this kind of stuff in things such as the AMLS, (American LeMans Series), but I don't think a Corvette could compete with most other cars like Porsches or Ferraris. :confused0071:

Edited by FloydHendershot

I think we all see where you are coming from with this.

I am just saying Bob is talking a big game now because his car is compared to a 5 year old M5. Bob (and GM marketers) claim the CTS-V is better than an M5 because it is faster 0-60 and can beat it around most race tracks. They are only looking at 2 criteria, and don't consider luxury, refinement, technology, resale value, durability, etc, etc. A Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is faster than a CTS V6, doesn't mean the Chrysler is a better car, the CTS does 100 other things better than the Chrysler.

So when the new M5 arrives, and it is faster than the CTS-V, what will Bob say? All he can say is the Cadillac is cheaper, so don't buy the best car in the class, by the cheapest. Hmm, sounds like how Suzuki advertises.

And some of these comparisons are a bit pointless anyway, on the track and in the real world are 2 different things. Ariel could issue and open challenge for any automaker to race the Ariel Atom around Leguna Secca or any race track and they'd lay waste to the ZR-1, Ferarri 599, Porsche Carerra GT, etc. But what does that prove, aside from the Ariel is insanely good on a track.

I am just saying Bob is talking a big game now because his car is compared to a 5 year old M5. Bob (and GM marketers) claim the CTS-V is better than an M5 because it is faster 0-60 and can beat it around most race tracks. They are only looking at 2 criteria, and don't consider luxury, refinement, technology, resale value, durability, etc, etc. A Chrysler 300 SRT-8 is faster than a CTS V6, doesn't mean the Chrysler is a better car, the CTS does 100 other things better than the Chrysler.

So when the new M5 arrives, and it is faster than the CTS-V, what will Bob say? All he can say is the Cadillac is cheaper, so don't buy the best car in the class, by the cheapest. Hmm, sounds like how Suzuki advertises.

And some of these comparisons are a bit pointless anyway, on the track and in the real world are 2 different things. Ariel could issue and open challenge for any automaker to race the Ariel Atom around Leguna Secca or any race track and they'd lay waste to the ZR-1, Ferarri 599, Porsche Carerra GT, etc. But what does that prove, aside from the Ariel is insanely good on a track.

CTS-V is currently the best in the class. Nothing wrong with bragging about that while it lasts. When the new M5 comes out Cadillac will likely have to modify the CTS-V to move ahead again... but wouldn't ya know, that'll be right around the time the CTS is due for an MCE anyway.

CTS-V is currently the best in the class. Nothing wrong with bragging about that while it lasts. When the new M5 comes out Cadillac will likely have to modify the CTS-V to move ahead again... but wouldn't ya know, that'll be right around the time the CTS is due for an MCE anyway.

It better be one hell of an interior MCE, and not a repeat of the 2008 STS MCE. And the CTS-V still can't match the M5 on technology, not I'd base my decision on that, but some do. Personally, I'd take the Jaguar, it beats all these cars on styling. The Mercedes CLS looks pretty good, but something about Mercedes interiors seems old fashioned.

They need to have The Stig drive them back to back.

It better be one hell of an interior MCE, and not a repeat of the 2008 STS MCE. And the CTS-V still can't match the M5 on technology, not I'd base my decision on that, but some do.

The interior of the M5 is nothing special at ALL.

The interior of the M5 is nothing special at ALL.

And it has the uber-lame 'iDrive' nonsense.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room