The Regal Buick Returns!

The Regal Returns!

500x_Buick_Regal_China.jpg

Regal Named as Next Buick Sedan

As part of Buick GMC's strategy to engage and listen to its dealers, more than 1,000 dealers this week will be the first to learn the name of Buick's next mid-size sport sedan will be the Buick Regal. The announcement was made at the Buick GMC dealer business meeting.

"The transformation of Buick began with our luxury crossover, the Buick Enclave and continued this year with the launch of the 2010 LaCrosse premium sedan," said Susan Docherty, Buick GMC General Manager. "We're thrilled to announce that the Regal will be the next member of the Buick family."

The Regal name has played a very important role in Buick's history for many years and continues to be one of the top Buick nameplates recalled by consumers even though it's been out of the market for the past six years.
Edited by Oldsmoboi

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in the past that the Regal would be 4-cylinder only. Likely the 2.4 liter, and a 2.0 turbo. The Insignia and the Chinese version both have a 2.0 turbo version making around 215 hp. I doubt the 3.6 liter ends up in the Regal, maybe the 3.0 V6, but GM is downsizing engines, even the SRX, Equinox, and Terrain don't have bigger than 3.0 liters. The Regal isn't going to get a better engine than a Cadillac SUV.

I read in the past that the Regal would be 4-cylinder only. Likely the 2.4 liter, and a 2.0 turbo. The Insignia and the Chinese version both have a 2.0 turbo version making around 215 hp. I doubt the 3.6 liter ends up in the Regal, maybe the 3.0 V6, but GM is downsizing engines, even the SRX, Equinox, and Terrain don't have bigger than 3.0 liters. The Regal isn't going to get a better engine than a Cadillac SUV.

On the 9-5 that 2.0L I4 it is rated at 220PS using DI (for better mpg not more power). I agree on the V6: either the 3.0L V6 or the turbo 2.8L V6. Not sure if the 325PS OPC will ever make it to the US...

Edited by ZL-1

Hope it's more like the Insignia OPC than the Chinese version with its fender trim and raised suspension.

Raised suspension probably has to do with poorer quality of Chinese roads. I'd expect the US version to have a ride height similar to our Insignia.

I agree that the trim has to go... either put something resembling ports (which wouldn't go that well with the Insignia's design IMHO) or use the Insignia's turn signal repeater there and do away with the trim.

Edited by ZL-1

My guess is that we will see the 2.4DI with 190hp and 2.0LDI-Turbo or 3.0DI cranking close to 260 HP.

i think the 3.6L DI would need to be there, unless it's somehow considerably lighter than the LaX... but otherwise i could see this working.

i think the 3.6L DI would need to be there, unless it's somehow considerably lighter than the LaX... but otherwise i could see this working.

Yes, the car is about 500 lbs lighter than the Lacrosse. It weighs like 3,517 lbs according to Chinese specs.

People that want speed don't buy Buicks, so a 2 liter turbo is fine. The Passat is a 2 liter turbo. The Lucerne has 227 hp, so 220 hp in the top end Regal makes sense. I imagine the Malibu will lose the 3.6 liter in favor of the 3.0 V6 or a turbo 4 in time as well.

People that want speed don't buy Buicks, so a 2 liter turbo is fine. The Passat is a 2 liter turbo. The Lucerne has 227 hp, so 220 hp in the top end Regal makes sense. I imagine the Malibu will lose the 3.6 liter in favor of the 3.0 V6 or a turbo 4 in time as well.

I would bet it will go to the 3.0L not a Turbo 4.

People that want speed don't buy Buicks, so a 2 liter turbo is fine.

That's not necessarily the case. Buick has a had a few 'performance' models in its heyday. While modest engine options like the 2.0, or 3.0 are likely to find themselves in most engine bays of the Regal, a turbo variant like the OPC Insignia would give the car some extra flair for those who want it.

That's not necessarily the case. Buick has a had a few 'performance' models in its heyday. While modest engine options like the 2.0, or 3.0 are likely to find themselves in most engine bays of the Regal, a turbo variant like the OPC Insignia would give the car some extra flair for those who want it.

GN!

yeah, but they don't need crash standards in China.

this car had better have the 2.0 260hp turbo and 6 speed manual as an option.

in that regard its a nice option vs a passat CC

I agree this is the combo needed. Then offer the upgrade from the Solstice, Sky and HHR SS to make a cheap 290 HP for those who want more. The 6 sp would make this combo sing.

Mine at 3200 pounds will run with a new Mustang GT with the 290 HP option. If anyone here has never driven this combo they need too. It is one of GM's best engines of all time.

I just do not understand calling it a Grand National? Why name it after a car that is named for a Winston Cup Series from NASCAR in the 80's? Yes the car is names for NAscar since Buick was deep into that series back in the 80's.

They won't put a manual in a Buick. This car is to replace the G6 and Aura basically, and GM needs loads of 4-bangers for CAFE because they make the Silverado. The big question I have is how do they tune the suspension, size and price this will overlap with the Malibu, so do they make it sportier, which doesn't fit with Buick's image at all, or extra soft and quiet.

They offer it with the manual in China.

That's China. Buick is in a different market there. Americans in general can't/won't buy a manual, and a brand like Buick (soft near-lux) attracts 99.99% automatic buyers.

Interesting tidbit- the Riviera, even tho debuting in 1963, never came with an RPO manual in it's entire history.

Just learned this recently & found it pretty amazing (there were a bunch of Wildcat manuals, not to mention the Skylark GS series).

Not surprising, given the luxury nature of the Riviera. I wonder what was the last RWD manual model from Buick? A late '70s Skyhawk, maybe?

Interesting tidbit- the Riviera, even tho debuting in 1963, never came with an RPO manual in it's entire history.

Just learned this recently & found it pretty amazing (there were a bunch of Wildcat manuals, not to mention the Skylark GS series).

There is a manual Riviera out there. Saw a conversion done a bunch of years back.

And I'd bet money a few factory jobs snuck out the back door in the '60s, too, but it was never a RPO.

Last Buick RWD manual well may have been in the '70s Skyhawks. Malibus had manuals in the late '70s, not sure if the Regal followed suit but I've never heard of one.

Grand Prix was a lux coupe (tho more sporting)- thousands of manuals were built/yr in the '60s.

And I'd bet money a few factory jobs snuck out the back door in the '60s, too, but it was never a RPO.

Last Buick RWD manual well may have been in the '70s Skyhawks. Malibus had manuals in the late '70s, not sure if the Regal followed suit but I've never heard of one.

Grand Prix was a lux coupe (tho more sporting)- thousands of manuals were built/yr in the '60s.

I've read about manuals in '78-80 Monte Carlos and Grands Prix as well, remember seeing them in magazine reviews. Don't know about the other A/Gs of the '78-80 period..i.e. Grand Am, LeMans, Century, Regal or Cutlasses...haven't read about any '81 or later A/Gs w/ manuals (other than the famous Iraq Malibus).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

That's China. Buick is in a different market there. Americans in general can't/won't buy a manual, and a brand like Buick (soft near-lux) attracts 99.99% automatic buyers.

And it could also be that those Americans who can drive and want a manual have next to no American sedans to choose from and thus are forced to buy an import. The CTS is one of the few out there. Make it easier to special order a car rather than pushing "lowest common denominator" ordering by dealerships and maybe more would be sold.

The G8 should have offered a manual on all models, not just the GXP.

And it could also be that those Americans who can drive and want a manual have next to no American sedans to choose from and thus are forced to buy an import. The CTS is one of the few out there. Make it easier to special order a car rather than pushing "lowest common denominator" ordering by dealerships and maybe more would be sold.

The G8 should have offered a manual on all models, not just the GXP.

+1. I want GM to unleash the manual transmission mated in at least one SEDAN which is not a Cadillac, on ALL the engines available with it.

+1. I want GM to unleash the manual transmission mated in at least one SEDAN which is not a Cadillac, on ALL the engines available with it.

I'd love to see GM offer manuals across the board in as many vehicles as possible. However, given that Americans overwhelmingly prefer automatics, I doubt if they can make the business case to support the cost of tooling up for vehicles that will never be more than 2-5 percent of sales of a given model (non-performance models).

I'd love to see GM offer manuals across the board in as many vehicles as possible. However, given that Americans overwhelmingly prefer automatics, I doubt if they can make the business case to support the cost of tooling up for vehicles that will never be more than 2-5 percent of sales of a given model (non-performance models).

And yet, as a global manufacturer GM incurs the expense to design, develop and manufacture vehicles with both automatic and manual transmissions just like BMW, Audi, VW, Mazda, Honda, etc yet chooses not to leverage that investment to its full potential by not marketing vehicles with manual transmissions in the North American market, unlike its competitors. The cost of "tooling up"is already handled by being a global manufacturer.

As for Americans "overwhelming preferring automatics" -- you seem to be basing that assumption on vehicles being purchased with automatics when no alternative transmission choice is available. Past market performance is not necessarily an indicator of future market performance -- if a profitable niche market can be pursued for little or no cost, the risk is minimal with nothing but upside...especially if it attracts new customers who wouldn't normally consider a GM car.

ford offers a fusion manual. even if 5% take it ( i think its higher) and sales are say, 200k, that is enough to sell 10k. that's plenty. and that tranny is prob shared with someone else. and in other countries.

the competitors do it. subaru offers a legacy 2.5GT with a stick the engine and tranny combo are exclusive. yet, they offer it. they won't even move 5k of those but they determined it was important to offer it and i guarantee you they are not losing money on it or they wouldnt do it.

the whole point here that people are forgetting. they are saying 'buick never offered a manual'. yet, you don't get that buick in order to survive needs to demostrate that they are doing things different. old buick can not and will not be successful. buick is toast if they do not completely reinvent themselves. if you liked buicks of old, and don't want it to change, tough titty. things needs to change.

at least one buick car should offer an MT. One cadillac should. right now the CTS does. when the ATS comes on it will be interesting to see if the CTS still does but at least one cadillac will have it. buicks compact should for sure if they want to steal sales from anyone relevent in mid to high priced compacts. in my opinion, the Regal needs to duke it out with these cars.....the Accord, Passat and CC, maxima, and prob TSX. On another level it will compete with loaded Camrys and Sonatas also. Chevys small offerings should have manuals offered and i think the Malibu should get a manual offering of some kind. It would have to not compete with Buick. Maybe malibu manual is non turbo and the Buick is a turbo 4.

The Regal is the perfect car to stand in the company of the 9-3, Maxima, CC/Passat, Accord/TSX IF IT IS PROPERLY EQUIPPED TO DO BATTLE. this requires performance engines and hardware.

Most regals will sell with the four cylinder and 6 speed auto. this is fine. i would make sure the four cylinder has been bumped to 2.5 litres or more and has DI and can make 200hp. then, its simply offering a v6 with auto (the 3.6) placates the automatic fans. the 2.0t can be pumped up to 280hp as suggested and add a six speed. the 2.8t v6 is too heavy and not as well served as the NA 3.6. The 4 pot turbo and stick is an accepted perf combo with a manual trans that buyers in this company of car are familiar with. If GM wants credibility with these other nice cars then they have to stick their feet in the pool.

I think the Regal with turbo and 6 speed would sell decently vs a passat or CC if the marketing is correct and its priced to move.

an AWD v6 turbo regal in the vein of a true GNX would be like an R32 Golf, it would command major MSRP and VERY few of them would be built. Buick needs to establish brand cred again before they try to make a spine tingling halo model. they would best leave that as an aftermarket and tuner package....which quite honestly would create more buzz for the brand than if GM tried to market it themselves.

I still wonder if it makes more sense to leave this as the insignia anyways.

i would imagine interior fit and finish in the opel version is fantastic. i bet whatever gets built on this side of the pond suffers in all ways. plastic and leather quality will be downgraded, fit and finish will get sloppy. things that are taut and precise will get cheap, sloppy and loose. that has as much to do with how buick will be perceived as anything. if the interior can't be somewhat compared to a common VW or basic Audi, then Buick is effed regardless how they equip the car.

Edited by regfootball

It appears the US-spec Regal was caught in US soil wearing an Insignia front bumper with a Buick grille instead of the Chinese Regal's front bumper/grille. The picture is in Buick's Facebook page. :AH-HA_wink:

Wow, that makes it much better than the Chinese Regal. How about an OPC grille (but with a Buick logo) for the sporty version?

On second thought, that bumper might not be final US-spec, because it lacks yucky orange reflectors.

Edited by pow

Wow, that makes it much better than the Chinese Regal. How about an OPC grille (but with a Buick logo) for the sporty version?

IMHO the question should be how about OPC hardware for the sporty version? Offering the OPC over there would be way cooler than a 280hp V6 sporty model.

Two Autoblogs posts on this today:

The NA Version from Facebook as mentioned earlier in this thread: Link

buick-regal-spy.jpg

And the rumored performance model with a chop: Link

260619-1280_opt.jpg

I like it. I guessed well at the GS handle.

I like the AWD and 6 speed but not sure I would put a 3.6 in this. I would rather see the 2.8 Turbo. Unless the 3.6 gets a turbo later. GSX anyone?

I expect the 6 speed to make it as the cost will mostly to be get this past the EPA. The rest of the part are aready made to build this very easy. Keeping the cost dow to make 7% of the buyers is key to a manual being offered.

To me the car has a little German look to it. If it had rings in the grill it could pass for a Audi. I just wish the grill was a little more understated and thank God the ports are removed.

After seeing what the VW CC's styling is doing for VW I expect this may get people to relize Buick is changing.

Edited by hyperv6