Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: Energy Secretary Chu - "I would put every cent into electric cars"

18 posts in this topic

300px-steven_chu_official_doe_portrait.jU.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu has a penchant for making some straightforward statements about energy policy. He's said that electric vehicles are inevitable, for example, and that all American cars should be E85-capable. Recently, he apparently said that "if it were up to me, I would put every cent into electric cars."

This quote, which was relayed by unnamed alternative energy developers who were at a recent meeting on alternative fuels, is sure to stir up the whole hydrogen vs. plug-in cars debate that's been going on since the DOE slashed H2 funding in May. The Senate Energy and Water Development Appropriations Subcommittee responded by marking up the FY 2010 DOE budget and restoring the hydrogen vehicle funding.

If Chu did say what it's reported that he said, then it should be clear that it isn't an official reversal of the Senate's work. It just shows that there are some serious disagreements in Washington about how to best fund the future - and what that future should be. But the DOE is in charge of some big things and, this year, it has handed out billions in loan guarantees for plug-in vehicles, including money for Ford ($5.9 billion), Nissan ($1.6 billion), Tesla Motors ($465 million) and Fisker ($528 million).

[source: Biofuels Digest]

REPORT: Energy Secretary Chu - "I would put every cent into electric cars" originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=HqCIeogNiDM:vM6SAGSTkXE:wF9xT autoblog?i=HqCIeogNiDM:vM6SAGSTkXE:V_sGL
HqCIeogNiDM

View the full article

communist

Ethanol and electric? Great! Hoorah for heavily subsidized transportation.

Petrol is most certainly not free market and unsubsidized...

Forget electric and ethanol, spend the money on fuel cell funding and building a hydrogen infrastructure (the most critical part of the puzzle for fuel cell vehicles to become widely available). that is the no compromise way of the future.

Forget electric and ethanol, spend the money on fuel cell funding and building a hydrogen infrastructure (the most critical part of the puzzle for fuel cell vehicles to become widely available). that is the no compromise way of the future.

For the moment, electrical cars are more practical because the major infrastructure for them is in place. Plus, even if traditional methods of generation like coal that emit pollutants are used, it's still cleaner on the whole than running all those ICE's.

While having hydrogen would be nice in order to promote energy diversity, the technology required to store the stuff is still pretty new, whereas battery technology is more proven.

WE NEED NUCLEAR POWER!!!!!!!!!!

+1.

just curious is he the head of DOE? if he is this signals no change from what has been a huge failure for ... ~40 years?

but yeah... cause you know... electric vehicles solves everything.... *wink*

Whut chu talkin' about, Willis?

Petrol is most certainly not free market and unsubsidized...

Last I checked it was heavily taxed...

For the moment, electrical cars are more practical because the major infrastructure for them is in place.

It is?

Ok, here's the scenario: you own an electric car (pure electric), and you need to drive from Boise to Salt Lake City and back again in a day. Explain how you do it.

It is?

Ok, here's the scenario: you own an electric car (pure electric), and you need to drive from Boise to Salt Lake City and back again in a day. Explain how you do it.

A long extension cord. :P

That is the problem with the electric car their range is too short. Not only that but on any similar trip you would have to charge your car on someone else's electric to drive back the next day since the charge takes so long.

It is?

Easy! Just use the ICE in your Volt. :P

eggs-in-one-basket__1226944359_5742.jpg

Exactly.

Exclusively funding any single approach is pure idiocy, and a mistake we should never repeat.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0