Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Yenko brand still kicking 45 years later, new vehicles coming?

12 posts in this topic

Filed under: Aftermarket, Classics, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet

lead_yenko.jpg
1968 Yenko Super Camaro - Click above for high-res image gallery

This post represents something of a dilemma for us. On the one hand, we could tell you about General Marketing Capital Incorporated (GMCI) owner Jeff Leonard and how he's just taken control of the Yenko name and brand. But on the other, we could ask only that you stare at the above image (and those in the gallery) for five minutes in absolute reverential silence. Do you really care that Leonard will more likely than not be bringing new Yenko products to market? Sure, a 2010 Yenko Super Camaro would be sweeter than cookie dough ice cream, but hey... look up.

Additionally, we could explain how almost forty-five years ago Don Yenko gamed GM's COPO (Central Office Production Order) program to build his first factory hot rod, the Yenko Stinger Corvair, but we just cannot take our eyes off of the gorgeous blue 1968 Yenko Camaro with the 427 motor and M-21 four-speed manual. Because really, besides the Stinger Corvair, have you ever seen anything hotter? Really? What?

And what would a 2010 Yenko consist of anyhow? Well, the Yenko formula was simply to put the best performance parts possible under the skin of a given car. Meaning we're talking about a LS9 powered Camaro with carbon ceramic brakes and magnetic-rheological shocks. Actually, that sounds pretty good. The question, then, really is whether or not Mr. Leonard will be able to make new Yenkos as blisteringly desirable to people in 2055 as Don Yenko's products are to us today at the end of 2009. Any bets? Full press release after the jump.

[source: General Marketing Capital Incorporated]

Continue reading Yenko brand still kicking 45 years later, new vehicles coming?

Yenko brand still kicking 45 years later, new vehicles coming? originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=1cfI-MkUKME:aeyb7D7QaMU:wF9xT autoblog?i=1cfI-MkUKME:aeyb7D7QaMU:V_sGL
1cfI-MkUKME

View the full article

I'm not sure GM would be interested in this.....

There's just something about a Yenko Aveo that doesn't sound right.....

It's so much more difficult to do this sort of thing now vs. then.

And it doesn't come-off as genuine somehow.

It's so much more difficult to do this sort of thing now vs. then.

And it doesn't come-off as genuine somehow.

It used to be you had 3 or 4 special cars they made only a hand full of. Now today they have a dozen or so special editions all pretty much alike and in some cases made by the same company like GMMG.

Just seem cheap and not as special.

Rare and Limited are two words I have learned to hate in many present day cars. Too many fail to equate not enough greater demand with too many so called limited models.

Just at the Camaro event the other day we had a Tom Henry racing, SLP, Nickey cars at the event and the Berger would have been there but it was not ready yet.

The one car I liked was Scott Settlmires Moms new Camaro. It was a 2010 Camaro ES. Tom Henry made a V6 with SS trim on a V6 car. The Hockey stick strip was painted on and it had her initials on the car. She sold here 35 ann V6 ES car to get this one. Her son had a Camaro built in the limited edition SS trim but it only was a V6. It had the SS wheels, graphics and trim. THe SS was replaced with a facotry ES emblem. Who ever got that one got a true one off factory car.

The one car I liked was Scott Settlmires Moms new Camaro. It was a 2010 Camaro ES. Tom Henry made a V6 with SS trim on a V6 car. The Hockey stick strip was painted on and it had her initials on the car. She sold here 35 ann V6 ES car to get this one. Her son had a Camaro built in the limited edition SS trim but it only was a V6. It had the SS wheels, graphics and trim. THe SS was replaced with a facotry ES emblem. Who ever got that one got a true one off factory car.

I remember that!

Very cool.

What made a car like the Yenko Camaro special (then & now) was the 'outlaw' aspect of it; a dealer was willing to give you a complete package (esp engine) the factory would not. A modern Yenko-esque car would have to do the same to be as coveted... but regs are stacked against that today.

What made a car like the Yenko Camaro special (then & now) was the 'outlaw' aspect of it; a dealer was willing to give you a complete package (esp engine) the factory would not. A modern Yenko-esque car would have to do the same to be as coveted... but regs are stacked against that today.

\

Yeah...a Yenko special now w/ the ZR1 drivetrain would rock..

Many of these recreations are just not the same. The Yenko is kind of like being someone a Gettysberg vs being at the reanactment.

Magic is created not recreated.

The Present Shelby is one that has. It still has Carroll involved, full support from Ford and if you have the money they will custom build it to your liking. Most of GM's deals are just people using the old names that they bought.

The only ones with any GM creed are SLP or GMMG since they were directly invoved. Everyone else is dead accept for Joel Rosen at Motion. I never did like his cars. Too over done east coast.

We worked with him on his recent Camaro but it was too over priced.

Time might be right for GM to offer a special option code to dealers willing to do their own cars? GM makes money and dealers make money by doing this?

The number of dealers equipped & willing to do emission / reg-compliant powertrain swaps would not be condusive to a nation-wide offering, I would have to believe. These other packages are so rare & coveted because they were local & came out of 1 dealership.

Another point: a '64 GTO 4bbl/ 2-spd/ 3.08 car turning mid 15s had room to improve dramatically.

I don't know what a Mustang GT turns these days (high 13s ??), but you're not going to get it a 4-sec improvement for anything most people are willing to afford. IE; less room for improvement at a far greater cost today.

Edited by balthazar

:neenerneener:

The number of dealers equipped & willing to do emission / reg-compliant powertrain swaps would not be condusive to a nation-wide offering, I would have to believe. These other packages are so rare & coveted because they were local & came out of 1 dealership.

Another point: a '64 GTO 4bbl/ 2-spd/ 3.08 car turning mid 15s had room to improve dramatically.

I don't know what a Mustang GT turns these days (high 13s ??), but you're not going to get it a 4-sec improvement for anything most people are willing to afford. IE; less room for improvement at a far greater cost today.

That is where GMMG has been filling in. They did the work with GM support and then let the dealers tayor the cars to what they wanted. I am not sure what GMMG are doing now they have been quiet on the new car.

Berger Chevy is doing a car like Tom Henry Chevy. Not sure if they are independent of if they are getting help from someone?

Who is doing the Hurst cars?

Tom Clary over at Yenko.net is already making a 2010 Yenko Camaro. Sounds like Lawyers will be involved soon. IMHO Don is dead so Yenko is dead. Call them something else

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0