Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

LeMons-Who else here is nuts?

I'm not sure how a ready made cage Cavalier would be accounted for. Is that a $1 car with a $499 cage or a $499 car with a $1 cage? Someone would have to closely examine that cage to ensure it fits the LeMons rules.

It says "race ready", but what engine is that? It would be nice to get any Cavalier up to LNF specs, if possible. ;-)

Wouldn't the cage be exempt from the cost even if it came with the car, since it is under the safety equipment category?

I know V8s are hard on gas, but how about a '90s Caprice? I have noticed a number of Caprices and Crown Vics on the circuit....

I thought about the B-bods, but the rules seem to preclude anything with an original weight over 4200 pounds. The late Caprices and Crown Vics get real close... but obviously people are running them. Someone had a full size Chevy van in the last race... they are about 5000~5500, IIRC.

I would prefer to try to run a '77~80 Caprice, as they are MUCH lighter, yet parts are plentiful.

I would think Crown Vics are hard to keep under the $500 limit.

Wouldn't the cage be exempt from the cost even if it came with the car, since it is under the safety equipment category?

It would be, but in this case, erring on the side of caution, I would think they considered this a $500 car with a free cage. Actually, $250, as there is a second car in the deal. However, it would be nice to try to get a bill of sale for $50 for the car, leaving $450 or so for the upgrades. A race ready car is likely to have little stuff that can be sold off, fuel cell notwithstanding.

I thought about the B-bods, but the rules seem to preclude anything with an original weight over 4200 pounds. The late Caprices and Crown Vics get real close... but obviously people are running them. Someone had a full size Chevy van in the last race... they are about 5000~5500, IIRC.

I would prefer to try to run a '77~80 Caprice, as they are MUCH lighter, yet parts are plentiful.

I would think Crown Vics are hard to keep under the $500 limit.

I was wondering about that too. Box Caprices ran about 3500 lbs, while Bubble Caprices were closer to 4000.

I was just watching videos from the People's Curse, and a late model P71 Crown Vic was one of the ones crushed.

I was wondering about that too. Box Caprices ran about 3500 lbs, while Bubble Caprices were closer to 4000.

I was just watching videos from the People's Curse, and a late model P71 Crown Vic was one of the ones crushed.

Even less! The '77-'80 boxes were as low as 3326... for the Buick! They put quite a few aluminum parts on these early cars. Race prepped, I think these would be around 3050~3100.

Well, Guess I'll have to kill a J.... :mind-blowing:

A good choice might be a 95-99 Cavalier/sunfire with the 2.2 motor. These take Add ons pretty well, and we should have no problem finding one under a grand.

Not a very powerful motor, but I think it should hold up well.

I've been considering taking my 2004 Cavalier auto-xing, and found the upgrades are as pricey as I thought...(ebay is your friend)

I've seen a few auto xed Js, and they seen to do well......

Almost makes me wonder is my old 93 is still in the yard....(but I'm gussing they crushed it already..)

Where do you live in KY?

How much of a Drive is Cinncinnati from you?

To all of you guys-I don't care which car we race-I just want a GM car so we can all get together and do something cool.

A V8 would be great, I just want us to be realisitic about the costs of fueling a V8 during a 24 hour race. If you guys are down for it, I am down for it.

How do you guys want to "organize" our effort?

...and I'm not trying to sell anybody's abilities short by saying we need training or development to drive. I would say the same for myself as well.

Chris

Great ideas so far guys. Do not worry about racing we will have FUN. The idea is to:

• To have fun
  • To be competitive
  • To make ourselves proud

As Stang has been stressing - this is endurance, not power race. The car needs to be a NAVY SEAL, not a WWE fighter. A car which can be beaten the crap out of and yet be easy to fix. Even if it is a heavier sedan, we can take off the back seat and everything we can find and make it as light as possible.

I can handle the logistics and everything if you guys want to.

If it is a C&G car, it really needs to be GM.

I vote for a 305/5spd. 3rd gen F-bod.

Yes, I would want it to be a GM car, because if we are representing C&G, a GM car would be fitting.

That may be an exception. Those 924's are thorough race bred horses.

We need to start another thread on how we are actually going to do this-who will be in charge, how we will organize things, etc.

NEED input from you guys!

Like I said, I can do logistics but I cannot be the "ringleader" of the group. We need some kind of president/leader, a book keeper, etc.

So Somebody figure out how we move forward...or help me figure it out.

Chris

Fixing the Firebird to run in LeMons is not the problem...assuming we choose the 'bird.

Which seems somewhat logical.

Getting a team together is the real part...who does what, etc.

Chris