Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Edmunds: GM market share will grow in October

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Marketing/Advertising, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GM, GMC, Earnings/Financials

gm-logo.jpg

According to the number-crunchers over at Edmunds.com, things are looking up for General Motors in the month of October. If preliminary figures hold up, The General's market share should come in at 22.4 percent, a notable gain from the 19.1 percent share the automaker averaged throughout the third quarter of 2009.

Driving this newfound marketplace success is thought to be GM's recent abundance of new product launches, which include important models like the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac SRX along with the Equinox and Camaro from Chevrolet. GM has received mostly favorable reviews on each of these vehicles and has invested money into advertising and media campaigns.

Still, maintaining the measure of success seen over the last month and continuing to grow that momentum in the long term won't be easy, and GM isn't likely to recapture its position as the dominant player in America that it once was any time soon. Of course, we'll be watching.

[source: Auto Observer | Photo: Tom Pennington/Getty Images]

Edmunds: GM market share will grow in October originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 17 Oct 2009 14:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=gaofkAFZaow:MNHOwWYe4yM:wF9xT autoblog?i=gaofkAFZaow:MNHOwWYe4yM:V_sGL
gaofkAFZaow

View the full article

I'm noticing a lot of Equinox and Traverse TV ads up here. I don't see many around yet, tho - but that's probably because there are NO GM dealers left in the central core of Toronto. Nada. Zip. And with several more slated to close in the next year, there will be almost no dealers left witin the metro area, only the outlying areas.

Sigh. Yet there are 2 Honda and 2 Toyota dealers downtown. Yech. GM is going to have to do something about that in the not too distant future or it will be finished in the Toronto market.

My sources told me 4 years ago that GM was down to 16% market share in the Greater Toronto Area, at that time tied with Toyota - and that was when Canadian national figures were still in the mid-20s!! I can only imagine where GM is now with no dealers left in the center of the city! Judging by how few new GM vehicles I see downtown (only Malibu and the odd Vibe), it's not pretty.

I'm noticing a lot of Equinox and Traverse TV ads up here. I don't see many around yet, tho - but that's probably because there are NO GM dealers left in the central core of Toronto. Nada. Zip. And with several more slated to close in the next year, there will be almost no dealers left witin the metro area, only the outlying areas.

Sigh. Yet there are 2 Honda and 2 Toyota dealers downtown. Yech. GM is going to have to do something about that in the not too distant future or it will be finished in the Toronto market.

My sources told me 4 years ago that GM was down to 16% market share in the Greater Toronto Area, at that time tied with Toyota - and that was when Canadian national figures were still in the mid-20s!! I can only imagine where GM is now with no dealers left in the center of the city! Judging by how few new GM vehicles I see downtown (only Malibu and the odd Vibe), it's not pretty.

I have been watching for a Nox on a dealer lot. They are sold as soon as they come in. We have many on the roads here and I am seeing more of the GMC's too. They all seem to be Black and loaded.

What is out there depends on where you live.

I'm noticing a lot of Equinox and Traverse TV ads up here. I don't see many around yet, tho - but that's probably because there are NO GM dealers left in the central core of Toronto.

I've seen quite a number of new Equinox's on the road. Since I live in Vancouver, that has to mean something.

The amount of ads for GM is amazing, not only on TV, but also in the papers (CanWest's Vancouver Sun at least). I hope this is maintained, especially because the Canadian ads are more or less identical to the American ones, which is good, because the Canadian ads traditionally blew.

No Terrains yet but the new 2010 'Noxes are popping up everywhere in Calgary.

I've seen quite a number of new Equinox's on the road. Since I live in Vancouver, that has to mean something.

The amount of ads for GM is amazing, not only on TV, but also in the papers (CanWest's Vancouver Sun at least). I hope this is maintained, especially because the Canadian ads are more or less identical to the American ones, which is good, because the Canadian ads traditionally blew.

Advertising will likely be just what they did the the Malibu. Advertise it a ton for 3-6 months, then they disappear. It has been a long time since I saw a "Car you can't ignore" ad. Thus it has become easy to ignore the Malibu for many consumers, and the Camry, which is a bad car keeps selling a ton.

I think Lutz has changed the let forget about it since it has been out 6 months kind of thinking.

Howie is pushing the Bu again in a new spot and the entire Chevy line up has shown up in the MPG spots etc. Of late I have seen many GM models I have not see for a long time on TV. Heck they even have spotlighted the Cobalt at the end of it's life.

At least unlike the old Saturn spots the name of the cars are being used not some guy from a dealer saying how they have changed with 3-4 name less cars behind him.

Edited by hyperv6

I think Lutz has changed the let forget about it since it has been out 6 months kind of thinking.

It helps to have vehicles that are actually worth mentioning after 6 months! I think the new Malibu is, whereas the old one wasn't. You'd do the obligatory launch blitz, then act like an ostrich and hope that the "usuals" came back and bought the newer model without noticing that there were better options.

I think another advantage of not having so many models/rebadges is that you can spend the same amount of money as before but advertise the same vehicles for longer as well as give the model name more emphasis.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0