Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT sticks its nose out for us

21 posts in this topic

Filed under: Performance, SUV, Crossover, Mitsubishi, Off-Road

2010mitsubishioutlandergt---00.jpg
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT - Click above for high-res image gallery

We're starting to think that Mitsubishi might just have a shot at making it in the States yet. Not necessarily based on product, although that's looking better all the time, but because half of their team seems to hang out at our favorite weekend car meet in Southern California. We love the fact that they bring their best and brightest right to us instead of making us chase them down. A little while ago, they gave us a sneak peek at the new 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Touring, and today they brought out the pre-production version of the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT.

That's the jacked up Outlander with the pumped up V6, S-AWC, aluminum racing pedals, multi-color 3.5-inch LCD between the gauges, upgraded navi, Rockford Fosgate stereo, leather, sunroof and trick new FUSE handsfree media gateway. We saw the prototype in New York, sporting an aluminum roof and Brembos, neither of which made it through to production. What did make it through was the new corporate schnoz, which apparently has been focus grouping well. It definitely makes it next to impossible to mistake it for anything other than a Mitsu. Love it or hate it, this is an Outlander Evo in all but name.

Photos copyright ©2009 Frank Filipponio/Weblogs Inc.

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT sticks its nose out for us originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:47:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=3VLIWYM0n_c:GUEBDr66TV8:wF9xT autoblog?i=3VLIWYM0n_c:GUEBDr66TV8:V_sGL
3VLIWYM0n_c

View the full article

I actually really like the look of it.

ALWAYS HAVE LIKED THE OUTLANDER it is spacious, large cargo area. nice youthful dash. 230hp is no racer. however. looks are plain but in this segment this is a breath of 5 yr warranty fresh air. a nicer rav4 alternative. not sure i take this over a terrain though

i wonder what a new galant or diamante would look like now adays... i thought the D was fairly nice back when... the newest Galant looked like a GP...ugh.

it's certainly no T product ugly... while being unmistakable. good job.

Great move: putting your only-respected, 'sports car' nose on a family truckster.

Next up- Corvette nose on the Tahoe.

BTW... is a 4-foot frontal overhang actually legal in all 50 states ??

Perhaps Hertz & Avis will lobby for it, if it isn't.

BTW... is a 4-foot frontal overhang actually legal in all 50 states ??

Apparently, GM got away with such (or more) massive front overhangs for years with the W-Body. :wink:

No- there's a GP in my driveway- it doesn't look NEARLY as massive at that pictured above, nor out-of-proportion, really.

Maybe it's the blockiness of the mitsu that makes it look that way.

No- there's a GP in my driveway- it doesn't look NEARLY as massive at that pictured above, nor out-of-proportion, really.

Maybe it's the blockiness of the mitsu that makes it look that way.

O RLY?

2008.mitsubishi.outlander.20170984-E.jpg

2002.pontiac.grand%20prix.20184379-E.jpg

That ain't the '10 outlander^ there, is it, sport ? :P

My eyes! There's not one but TWO of these ugly vehicles AND a Grand Prix in ONE thread?!

Has ChryCo hired DF to blind GM customers? :P

Hey "sport" the dimensions of the front end won't drastically change. I would think you of all people would know that. I had to do a little more hunting since you insist, but here you go.

2010-mitsubishi-outlander-3-450.jpg

Well whdduya know, the length hasn't really changed. Funny that.

And the GP still has a longer front overhang.

>>"And the GP still has a longer front overhang. "<<

So does an Enzo, doesn't make the mitsu look decent. And yes- the blocky front of the '10 absolutely looks 'more huger' than the previous one, but apparently you're in love. :smilewide: :wink:

GP is a nice design, overhang aside. I don't get the hate at all. Perhaps the fact it isn't 42" high at the top of the grille is more the reason.

Maybe if the outlander had a low, pointy nose it wouldn't be so unavoidable. But that's like 20 cubic feet ahead of the front wheel centerline. Yikes.

I have to agree with Balthazar. The blockier front end does make it look like a larger overhang than the previous version.

Coming from a bodyshop perspective, Mitsubishi uses junk steel in their cars and then they don't do a good job of rustproofing it. They're miserable.

Coming from a bodyshop perspective, Mitsubishi uses junk steel in their cars and then they don't do a good job of rustproofing it. They're miserable.

But according to a certain C&Ger, Mitsubishi makes the best cars available anywhere on the planet.

>>"And the GP still has a longer front overhang. "<<

So does an Enzo, doesn't make the mitsu look decent. And yes- the blocky front of the '10 absolutely looks 'more huger' than the previous one, but apparently you're in love. :smilewide: :wink:

GP is a nice design, overhang aside. I don't get the hate at all. Perhaps the fact it isn't 42" high at the top of the grille is more the reason.

Maybe if the outlander had a low, pointy nose it wouldn't be so unavoidable. But that's like 20 cubic feet ahead of the front wheel centerline. Yikes.

I don't have an issue with the GP at all. I actually like that generation (almost bought one). It's simply the fact that you decided to complain about the overhang, which I'm sure you wouldn't have had it been a GM product, calling it massive and asking if it was legal in other states. I just called you out on it and showed you that if the even larger overhangs on the W-Bodies are "legal" than that must be too.

Its cute to see you try and squirm out of it though. :wink:

Also this:

outlander.jpg

Even if my resize is off by a bit the point remains that the overhangs are basically the same, perhaps even a bit smaller.

I don't even care about the car that much, just asinine statements.

If anything, the new nose makes it more distinctive..it's not a bad looking CUV, and it's not truckish looking. The nose gives it a familial resemblance to the Lancer.

>>"It's simply the fact that you decided to complain about the overhang,... calling it massive and asking if it was legal in other states."<<

I was being satty-ish. You should be used to that.

But to not completely invalidate my earlier post, I should have clarified the volume of overhang as it appeared in the opening pic...for those strict literalists here. :wink:

Further, looking at the '10 outlander and the Vue above, note how the fender flare on the mitsu crosses onto the front door, while the Vue's does not. That alone does much toward giving the impression the wheels are farther back realtively on the outlander. Grids don't always tell the whole story, tho they very well may be factually correct.

>>"which I'm sure you wouldn't have had it been a GM product, "<<

Orly ? Since when have you seen me be a blind loyalist for GM, rubber-stamping even most new offerings & defending even most moves ?? C'mon.