Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Shop Techs Give Seven Reasons GM Went Bankrupt [Carpocalypse]

21 posts in this topic

Hmm....add no hardtops and no BOF RWD models to that list... :)

so LT1's are good but opti-spark is bad? how do you seperate those two ideas?

Wot's 'opti-spark' and how does it relate to the LT1 engine?

Wot's 'opti-spark' and how does it relate to the LT1 engine?

thats that thing the (whoa alliteration) autobots and decepticons were fighting over right?... right?

thats that thing the (whoa alliteration) autobots and decepticons were fighting over right?... right?

Ah, yes. Optimus Prime was after Optispark.

By the way, this made me think of...has anyone seen the trailer for 'Black Lightning'--it's a Russian movie w/ a plot not unlike part of the Transformers plot--kid gets his first car, an old Volga with secret powers..it's actually a cold war flying car experiment..uses it to battle crime in Moscow...the trailer looked like a fun movie.

Ignition system on LT-1, and LT-4 engines that is prone to certain failures.

Not a big deal. Just need to be aware of it and there're proactive steps to take to thwart any problems.

Don't go through a car-wash with one that's failing though. ;-)

Not a big deal. Just need to be aware of it and there're proactive steps to take to thwart any problems.

Lucas Electronics isn't responsible for Opti-spark, are they? ;)

I can't say. I'm looking into a beefed-up version to reasonably put any concerns with the original unit to rest. I picked up a low-mileage-turn-key '97 Z28 in near-mint cond. recently to suppress some pangs of nostalgia. To see what's said re: OptiSpark you can Google-up about 35,000 hits to see what is out there. It pays replace the water pump at the same time as the units (pump & opti-spark) are cheek-by-jowl in their positioning.

Agreed.

Not a huge problem.

And the answers (fixes) are well known.

Golly, you know, I think a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood might have Opti-Spark on it.

I can't say. I'm looking into a beefed-up version to reasonably put any concerns with the original unit to rest. I picked up a low-mileage-turn-key '97 Z28 in near-mint cond. recently to suppress some pangs of nostalgia. To see what's said re: OptiSpark you can Google-up about 35,000 hits to see what is out there. It pays replace the water pump at the same time as the units (pump & opti-spark) are cheek-by-jowl in their positioning.

I put the MSD Opti on my and was very happy.

Most people with Opti problems have malfunctioning Optispark Vent Harnesses... which you can buy cheap over the 'net and its a pretty easy install.

The only other complaint I have with the LT1/LT4 is that GM cheaped out on the exhaust manifold bolts... replace them before they break and you are good. Otherwise, the rear-most two tend to break first. Exactly the problem with my Caprice at the moment... I have two broken bolts... I got the one on the passenger side out with a MIG welder... the driver's was already fubared by someone who was actually WORSE with a MIG than me (I have about 2 hours MIG experience on my cheap POS welder)... and the project stalled out at that point. I figure I will be working on that again soon, as the weather is getting too cold to work outside at the other house.

Ah, yes. Optimus Prime was after Optispark.

now that i think about it... maybe they were after the spark plugs from a dodge...

i think the opti-spark was the gobots last hope...

I put the MSD Opti on my and was very happy.

Most people with Opti problems have malfunctioning Optispark Vent Harnesses... which you can buy cheap over the 'net and its a pretty easy install.

The only other complaint I have with the LT1/LT4 is that GM cheaped out on the exhaust manifold bolts... replace them before they break and you are good. Otherwise, the rear-most two tend to break first. Exactly the problem with my Caprice at the moment... I have two broken bolts... I got the one on the passenger side out with a MIG welder... the driver's was already fubared by someone who was actually WORSE with a MIG than me (I have about 2 hours MIG experience on my cheap POS welder)... and the project stalled out at that point. I figure I will be working on that again soon, as the weather is getting too cold to work outside at the other house.

Good advice re: Those bolts. I'm on it. Thanks.

So I skimmed through this thread early without reading closely. I can conclude that the All Spark is in a LT1 so Optimus need to look in a Camaro or something for it so he can start up Cyberton (or a Caprice), but because Megatron is also looking for it GM went bankrupt.

After reading only the original post I can conclude that GM went bankrupt because a vast majority of the people who didn't want to see GM go bankrupt were too busy losing teeth and drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon to go get a job that would allow them to afford a new GM vehicle.

After reading only the original post I can conclude that GM went bankrupt because a vast majority of the people who didn't want to see GM go bankrupt were too busy losing teeth and drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon to go get a job that would allow them to afford a new GM vehicle.

cynical, but not as good as the transformers tie-ins A for effort though.

Mitsubishi. 'course their stuff never caused problems in the 90's. :spit:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0