Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Tokyo Preview: Toyota Mark X enters second generation

12 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Japan, Tokyo Motor Show, Toyota

toyotamarkx000_opt.jpg
2010 Toyota Mark X - Click above for high-res image gallery

Here in the U.S., if you want a rear-wheel drive sedan from Toyota, you'll have to buy a Lexus. That's not the case in Japan. There the motor buying public can opt for the Mark X, the second generation of which will be revealed at the Tokyo Motor Show this week. Based on the same rear-wheel-drive platform as our own Lexus GS, the new Mark X gets a redesigned exterior and interior, the latter of which also benefits from increased interior volume. Two engines will be available: a 2.5-liter V6 producing 203 horsepower and a new, larger 3.5-liter V6 reportedly producing a healthy 315 hp. Both models will come with a six-speed automatic transmission and paddle shifters, though only the 2.5-liter model is available with all-wheel-drive.

It's pretty snazzy looking, no? Compared to the Toyota-branded large sedans we have to choose from here in North America (*cough - Avalon - cough*), we'd say the new Mark X is an exciting proposition indeed. Think of it as Toyota's answer to the Chrysler 300C or now-defunct Pontiac G8, or even the FWD/AWD Taurus. But alas, the big T would rather you look to Lexus and buy a GS than they spend the time and money to offer the Mark X to Americans.

[source: Toyota via Carscoop]

Continue reading Tokyo Preview: Toyota Mark X enters second generation

Tokyo Preview: Toyota Mark X enters second generation originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 19 Oct 2009 19:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ztt4_A64ry4:RQ-MHEEFFxU:wF9xT autoblog?i=ztt4_A64ry4:RQ-MHEEFFxU:V_sGL
ztt4_A64ry4

View the full article

Love the horrendous center stack. It complements the Hyundai Elantra taillamps well.

Profile: Very nice!

Everything else: Not very nice! It's like they took a Camry and melted it some more.

After looking at the exterior I am scared of opening the photo gallery... :ph34r:

Edited by ZL-1

Some views look ok, but it is a mish-mash of styling elements from Toyota and other manufacturers. For the rear (esp. the c-pillar) Camry instantly comes to mind with some Hyundai thrown in. A hint of Volvo and Lexus can be found in the front, and Mazda in the front quarter panels. The only thing unique is the gee-whiz chrome "X" on the grille.

Wow that dash looks inspired by 1996, or in other words, it sucks.

The midsection looks so much like a Camry...so did the 1st gen.

Is the Mark X related to the Crown? I believe it is RWD also..

2008_Toyota_Crown-Hybrid_01.jpg

Speaking of the Crown, there is a trim level called the Crown Royal. I was browsing a Japanese model kit dealer, and they have an older Crown Royal kit on their site--but the listing is misspelled..says 'Clown Loyal'...LOL!

Clown Loyal (Crown Royal)

Japanese speakers learning r and l

This is why - many Japanese people simply don't understand the difference between R and L.

...which is why I find the fact that Acura called their flagship the RL so funny.

The RL moniker was probably made up by their NA marketing...it's the Honda Legend in the ROW.

It is not very good looking but the Crown posted in here is alright I suppose. Still not my cup of tea as far as styling goes.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0