NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: VIDEO: Lexus LF-A breaks cover before Tokyo unveiling

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Coupe, Performance, Tokyo Motor Show, Lexus, Luxury

lfa-vid-cap-620op.jpg
Click above to view the video after the jump

In less than six hours the wraps will officially come off the Lexus LF-A at the Tokyo Motor Show. And about 36 hours after that, we'll be piloting Lexus' first foray into supercardom on and around Florida's Homestead-Miami Speedway.

But in this day and age, any auto expo wouldn't be complete without one last leak in the final hours leading up to the show, and YouTube - along with the NAGTROC forums -- have delivered.

After the jump you'll find video of the production LF-A making its way around the Nurburgring GP course, along with a slew of still shots that show the Lexus 500+ hp supercoupe sans disguise. Although we've seen everything aft of the A-pillars before, the LF-A's nose is finally revealed - and opinions are split on the chosen headlamp and fascia design. Although we could do without the red-leather steering wheel, the rest of the interior receives high marks, particularly the animated, customizable central LCD display and massive tunnel running through the cabin. And if the video wasn't enough, NAGTROC forum member Adrey has snapped a few shots of the LF-A in Miami as it's being prepped for our big day this week. Expect our First Drive soon, and all the official details to drop in the next few hours. But in the meantime, check the video after the jump and the spy shots from Miami in the gallery below.

[source: YouTube, NAGTROC]

Continue reading VIDEO: Lexus LF-A breaks cover before Tokyo unveiling

VIDEO: Lexus LF-A breaks cover before Tokyo unveiling originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:26:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=L-OboLvT4t8:fNSL8-wPZXc:wF9xT autoblog?i=L-OboLvT4t8:fNSL8-wPZXc:V_sGL
L-OboLvT4t8

View the full article

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Tokyo Motor Show, Lexus, Luxury

02-lexus-lfa-press-620op.jpg
Lexus LF-A - Click above for high-res image gallery

The Tokyo Motor Show countdown continues with yet another round of Lexus LF-A leakage courtesy of OmniAuto. Check out the gallery below to get up close and personal with the official shots of the LF-A before we bring you live impressions from the floor. But before you do, get a load of the preliminary specs:
  • 4.8-liter 72-degree V10 putting out 560 hp at 8,700 RPM (that's 116.5 hp/liter) and 354 lb.-ft. of torque at 6,800 RPM
  • Redline: 9,000 RPM
  • Titanium valves, connecting rods, forged aluminum pistons, dry sump lubrication and a titanium exhaust manifold
  • Six-speed sequential gearbox
  • Torsen limited slip differential
  • 3,263 pounds with a 48/52 front-to-rear weight distribution
  • Power-to-weight ratio of 5.8 pounds/hp
  • 65 percent of the body is carbon fiber
  • 20-inch BBS wheels wrapped in 265/35 ZR20 Bridgestone tires in front and 305/30 ZR20 in the rear.
  • 0-62 MPH (100 km/h) in 3.7 seconds
  • Top speed of 201.94 MPH
  • Production limited to 500 units
More to follow. Stay tuned.

Gallery: Lexus LF-A

01-lexus-lfa-press_thumbnail.jpg02-lexus-lfa-press_thumbnail.jpg03-lexus-lfa-press_thumbnail.jpg04-lexus-lfa-press_thumbnail.jpg05-lexus-lfa-press_thumbnail.jpg

[source: OmniAuto]

One more massive Lexus LF-A leak, with specs originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:48:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Oq6MH0oEYtk:lbNh0-DY_40:wF9xT autoblog?i=Oq6MH0oEYtk:lbNh0-DY_40:V_sGL
Oq6MH0oEYtk

View the full article

I like it. Nice to see a real, dedicated performance car come out of Toyota. Maybe they have some balls there after all.

Exterior doesn't blow me away but at least it isn't ugly and has a few neat touches. The interior is cool.

Sounds like a race car too.

Nothing cohesive about it, IMO. Scoops overlapping the quarter windows are just plain weird. Why doesn't the hood close all the way? Those monstrous fake rear 'grilles' had better be powder-coated aluminum and not IM plastic... but knowing toyota- they'll have cheaped out.

>>"...the interior receives high marks, particularly... {the} massive tunnel running through the cabin."<<

At first I was like: WTF?? Then I remembered when the reviewers raved about the doghouse intrusion in the Hummer H1 and decades of vans, too. Clearly; great designs speak to the same enthusiasts, that's for sure.

Maybe I can construct some sort of semi-permanent intrusions jacketing the existing structures in the cabin of my 2500HD- I can still move my elbows about : not sporty!

Looks like it's from the future and not derivative. So what's up with the rear grilles--are their radiators back there? I seem to recall something like that on the LF-A concept a few years ago. Looks like they are aiming to outgun the GT-R. Wonder where the price point will be? $200k with all the CF, I would think...

Nice to see Toyota build a potentially world class sports car and not another FWD generic or green FWD generic.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Front end reminds me of a last-gen Supra a couple of years on.

The price point is $375,000. 9,0000 rpm is incredible.

Ouch...at that price point, it better be really good if they are serious about taking on the big league exotic sports car brands...

Ouch...at that price point, it better be really good if they are serious about taking on the big league exotic sports car brands...

Too big a jump too soon IMO.

If Toyota/Lexus had consistently proven itself as a purveyor of ultra performance cars, that would be one thing. But my money's on this car underperforming most of the supercars it outprices.

Too big a jump too soon IMO.

If Toyota/Lexus had consistently proven itself as a purveyor of ultra performance cars, that would be one thing. But my money's on this car underperforming most of the supercars it outprices.

I'm surprised they didn't build something more down to earth to compete with the GT-R, 911, etc. This is up in rarified air...I suppose it's a statement of what they can do w/ an unlimited budget to build a low volume model.

Toyota has a history of some decent mainstream sports/sporty cars (long ago w/ the Celica, Supra, MR2) and a mediocre track record in F1, but they are still known fundamentally for building reliable, boring FWD appliances. Lexus' reputation is quality, quiet luxury cars. This doesn't fit with either brand image. It's hard to see Lexus playing in the same league as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Pagani, Koenigsegg, McLaren, etc..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The exterior is downright repulsive. It didn't occur to me right away, as the pictures I saw did an ok hiding its ugliness (thanks to the mostly extreme angles). But after watching this video, I was certain. It certainly has the go-fast exterior "details" and the low-slung stance, but otherwise it is a monstrosity.

Even the official Lexus video, despite its best attempts to mask the ugliness, shows it in several scenes.

That being said, it does sort of resemble a Supra successor. Probably the greenhouse shape.

The exterior is downright repulsive. It didn't occur to me right away, as the pictures I saw did an ok hiding its ugliness (thanks to the mostly extreme angles). But after watching this video, I was certain. It certainly has the go-fast exterior "details" and the low-slung stance, but otherwise it is a monstrosity.

Even the official Lexus video, despite its best attempts to mask the ugliness, shows it in several scenes.

That being said, it does sort of resemble a Supra successor. Probably the greenhouse shape.

I think by going for a violently ugly design, they hope it's looks alone will scare and intimidate other exotic cars off the track.. :) I see a slight similiarity in the greenhouse (ignoring the lame high scoops) to the last Celica hatchback. With this design, it needs to painted flat/matte black like the Reventon, maybe.

I'd be more interested if they released one or more of the Supra, Celica or MR2 successors in their old market niches from $25-50K.

At its projected asking price its gotta be pretty spectacular performer.

I'm just glad they're only building 500. I have to give props for the engineering and performance, but it's awkward and probably not worth the price...

From MotorTrend's review:

Toyota admits that LFA purchasers will be largely hand-selected for maximum visibility and marketing value.

Btw, Toyota worked heavily with Yamaha in designing the high revving engine and its acoustics. And all LF-A engines will be assembled by two Yamaha engineers.

Edited by siegen

Ugly? Check. Over Priced? Check. Toyota? Check. Man the three things I hate most all rolled into one car. I give them credit for making something with balls and soul, but it still is ugly and NOT worth that price. Who would really buy this over say a C6 ZR1 or Nissan GT-R. So over triple the price and it is slower to sixty than both the cars I just mentioned, sounds like another case of Toyota quality saving you money. :rolleyes:

Edited by gm4life

We agree on this Ugliness (as we did for the Forte). :)

After looking at the specs, I can say - so what? What is so special about this car to be that exclusive and cost THAT much? Toyota entering the exotic car market to make appliances.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead