Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Red Devil

I had a chance to snap a few pics of the Cutty today after returning from Pigeon Forge. I didn't take any pics of the back because the bumper that I still haven't replaced sort of ruins it all (the chrome is peeling off). OPGI has a holiday special on '71-'72 Cutlass rear bumpers so I'm going to order one soon. I'm also thinking about slapping a new coat of paint on it next year or the year after that (black this time).

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Are you thinking new wheels to go with the black paint?

I have a set of 15x7 Olds SS2 Rally Rims that I'm going to have painted before Winter officially arrives. They'll be painted black. :AH-HA_wink:

Wasn't it only just repainted? Why would it be repainted again?

I'm pretty unhappy with the overall quality of the paint job. You can't see it in the pics, but there's a lot of rough spots in it (there's a really nasty one on the driver's side fender). On the bright side, I do like the sheen of the clear, but the painter really got lazy with the wet sanding in places and if you had the chance to see the car in person it would really show.

There's also another reason: the Cutty isn't true Matador Red. To darken the color a bit, I had the painter add a touch of maroon to it. Well, if you check out the eyebrow trim above the outboard driver's side headlight that fell off on a trip out of town, it's pretty chipped and beaten up. I can't have another painter match it up perfectly because I'm not sure exactly how much maroon was added to the paint (I think it's more than what I wanted). I'm a bit OCD so if it's a notch off and I can see it, it will bother me until it's right.

It's better to start over with a clean sheet. The Cutty is rust free and the bodywork is 90 percent straight, so it won't be expensive to translate the car to a nice, rich hue of black.

There's a guy back home that can do a better job about a grand cheaper than the amount given for the Cutty's current shotty paint job. First priority is getting the Regal painted, though.

And thanks gm4life! I'm glad you like 'er! :)

Edited by whiteknight