Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Toyota Exec Blames Video Games For Slow Vehicle Sales [LOLCars]

25 posts in this topic

500x_FM3_Celica_Supra_2.jpgFirst it was violence, then bulging wastelines, now video games are being blamed for falling vehicle sales in Japan, at least by one unnamed Toyota exec. The argument? Games are so good lately there's no interest in buying actual cars.

The translated quote goes something like this:

Home game machines are no good. Playing something that realistic makes the need for cars disappear.

It's a bit of a leap if you ask us, but something has to be responsible for falling sales, right? Could just be the combination of cars being wildly expensive to own and of limited utility in Japans crowded urban centers, but video games are probable just as likely a culprit. While the statement is something of a blind item, it does provide a peak into the growing societal issues plaguing modern Japan. Young men are forgoing family life in favor of extended bachelorhood, meaning enjoying video games and other hobbies seen as undignified perversions by the elder generation. Heck, video games could just be the downfall of Japan, but killing car sales is a good start. [Kotaku]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=X4DIuDCQaDA:N0-LfL6PKtw:D7DqB2pKE full?i=X4DIuDCQaDA:N0-LfL6PKtw:V_sGLiPBp
X4DIuDCQaDA

View the full article

hey, yeah is this where i need to drop off the tanker load of STFU at?

really i had a friend of mine tell me the other day that GT5 is to drop Q1 next year, and he was telling me that damage will be included in the gameplay this go round to an extent. manufacturers know to what level of realism polyphony digital is reknowned for and dont want the game to effect how people perceive the crash survivability of their cars.

Maybe Toyota should consider that a big reason their sales are off are perhaps because their cars are too good, too reliable? If they really are as reliable as people percieve them to be, what's the point of trading on a new one, except every 10 years or so?

Maybe it is because all of Toyota's new cars are bloodly boring and ugly? Could that be it?

Edited by gm4life

Maybe Toyota should consider that a big reason their sales are off are perhaps because their cars are too good, too reliable?

I supposed 6 PM isn't too early to be completely tanked, but you might consider some moderation before making public comments.

I supposed 6 PM isn't too early to be completely tanked, but you might consider some moderation before making public comments.

Actually, that was 3pm this afternoon (PST). I was being sarcastic. In general, though, it seems people keep cars longer these days. And the public considers Toyota, for better or for worse, to be one of the best, if not the best (based on Consumer Reports, etc).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Maybe Toyota should consider that a big reason their sales are off are perhaps because their cars are too good, too reliable? If they really are as reliable as people percieve them to be, what's the point of trading on a new one, except every 10 years or so?

since all the toyo bangers seem to get sexual thrills from saying 'i plan to keep this car till 473,000 miles just like my 1984 tercel'

Maybe it is because all of Toyota's new cars are bloodly boring and ugly? Could that be it?

This.

well i think the financial pinch may have taught a few people a lesson. everyone's numbers are down... toyota is like walmart expecting a profit every year.

my aunt drives a honda. has had a honda as long as i can remember. 88 prelude, then a new one every 2 years since. until the 05 she bought. she has kept it the longest.

That was my take... if there were affordable cars as exciting as they are in GT5 instead of a bunch of boring Camrys, people would buy them. Instead, its more exciting to own something a decade old or take the bus.

Edited by SAmadei

No hip/young/bachelor/whatever is going to want to own a Camry. And that's basically all Toyota makes currently. Different sizes of Camry.

The world fails to sympathize, the world fails to care.

hehe its great being on top... except the higher up the mountain you go, the colder it gets...

Actually his remarks (although I understood the intended sarcasm) may not bee too far off the mark. Toyota attracts the sort of buyer who really doesn't like autos or know much about them, so they buy the appliance out of necessity, baby them and drive them into the ground. Around these parts, I am seeing an awful lot of old farts driving Camries and Corollas. It is a well known fact that obsolesence is the cornerstone of our industrial planning, regardless whether the product is built to last or not.

I have long made the assertion that the typical Honda/Toyota buyer 'perceives' their vehicle is better, therefore takes care of them better and keeps them longer. I am sure there are studies out there that back this up, but of course the usual suspects would declare that is because American autos don't last as long. Hell, if you drive the car like you stole it, never wash or wax it, never do the oil changes - of course the damned thing is going to fall apart! Many of these Camrys have never gone over 60 mph! Ever.

On a National Post blogsite, recently a woman whined about the demise of Saturn. She bitched that her 15 year old Saturn was running great and she'd gladly buy another. HELLO, beyitch! But you DIDN'T buy another, and that is why the plug is being pulled on Saturn because the buyers it attracted just kept on driving them! Sometimes good irony is just wasted.

(All the stuff you wrote goes here)

I semi-agree with that to the extent that the buying public is quite different when it comes to manufacturers. I'm not so sure this Toyota Exec. had anything particularly deep implied with his comment, though. I think he really was just bitching about how video games have taken the experience of owning a car away from young buyers. I fail to see how, since if most people buy a car because they need one now ride their console-controllers down the street? "I love my virtual-Corolla so much I ride a pedal bike to work"? How does any of this fit? Is he talking about more expensive sports cars, instead?

... and back in the article it mentions how bachelorhood ties in to the lack of sales. I'll be a 'big picture' kind of guy here and say that problem is only a good thing for the world's population.

No hip/young/bachelor/whatever is going to want to own a Camry. And that's basically all Toyota makes currently. Different sizes of Camry.

And of course, this is the direction GM has been moving... unfortunately.

I was thinking about this the other day and as there have always been backlash to the vehicles your parents drive... Hip, young drivers didn't want mom's family truxster wagon. Then the generation raised in Minivans are turned off them. You already see a group of people shunning the excess of the SUV era.

I wonder is when will young, influential drivers start to villify the sedan. And, of course, what will they choose as an alternative?... as the wagon, minivan, SUV, coupes and convertibles would be virtually extinct.

I wonder is when will young, influential drivers start to villify the sedan. And, of course, what will they choose as an alternative?... as the wagon, minivan, SUV, coupes and convertibles would be virtually extinct.

I'm young so I guess that makes me influential? Let the record show I have never owned a sedan. Few make the cut for me (mainly the Charger, G8, and a select few BMWs that are out of my price range) but there's always a two-door alternative out there that wins me over instead. The four cars (the two trucks I've owned were two-door regular cabs too, ha) I've owned (Cutlass, Firebird, Monte, Regal) have all been coupes and I think it's going to stay that way.

That was my take... if there were affordable cars as exciting as they are in GT5 instead of a bunch of boring Camrys, people would buy them. Instead, its more exciting to own something a decade old or take the bus.

Exactly Toyta had some cool stuff in the 70's especially the 80's. After the 2005 Celica and MR2 Spyder went away nothing has interested me in Toyota since, therefore will never set foot in a showroom to even look at one.

Edited by gm4life

Why on Earth should people my age vilify the sedan?

Stupid thing for him to say in general. As others have mentioned, I think driving game people wouldn't be interested in any new Toyotas... They're probably into Genesis coupes, Mazdas, Imprezas, Lancers etc.. You know the kind of mainstream priced cars that actually would make appearances in driving games that youth like.

Because it is boredom incarnate?

Many people don't judge the excitement of a car by the number of doors it has.

Many people don't judge the excitement of a car by the number of doors it has.

Obviously.

The point is that the sedan is ubiquitous at this point, so much so that anyone wishing to set himself apart from the herd will need to choose something else.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0