Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gm4life

Camino this Caddy is for You! w/UPDATE

17 posts in this topic

Camino I got to thinking about your flagship request, and decided why not try! Anyways with my interest in the Caprice growing I thought seeing if it could pass for a Caddillac would be great fun. So here it is! (I did base it off a Holden Statesman not an HSV because I could not find a large enough photo to work with!) Please leave your comments, and keep in mind this is one of my few chops I have done. I think it looks pretty good!

How it started...

Statesman.jpg

...Finished...

Cadillac_Fleetwood_FTS_Gold_800.jpg

Bonus if anyone can tell me what I changed and what Cadillac model all the added parts came from. (Hint I only choose one Cadillac to get the parts from, with the exception of the blade antenna that came from a 2010 LaX.)

UPDATE and now the Interior...

Cadillac_Fleetwood_FTS_Interior_800.jpg

Edited by gm4life

I'm guessing you got the parts from a an XLR.

You've deleted the rear quarter windows, changed the wheels, front fascia, headlights, taillights and antenna.

Not bad, though the lights look a little short. But a good quality chop.

Hey thanks guys, all parts came from the 2009 XLR. I did end up also extending down the lower kick plates (under the doors) along with the rear panel as well (to make make the car look a little lower to the ground and tie in with the drop in the front). I might try to adjust the back light again. Thanks for the kind words, I certainly had enough time in it.

Clean, good quality chop but the front overhang got longer (and my favorite thing about Zeta is the short front overhang) and it still doesn't look like a Cadillac.

Clean, good quality chop but the front overhang got longer (and my favorite thing about Zeta is the short front overhang) and it still doesn't look like a Cadillac.

Thanks DF, that means alot coming from you. Good eye I had to extend the front overhang to make the XLR head lights and nose job work well. I know it still isn't edgy enough to be a Cadillac especially in the green house/window department. Although some Fleetwood badges and chrome mirror caps might not hurt either. :scratchchin: I really only had some much to work with and given my limited skills (like the 4th or 5th chop, I had ever done) I really didn't want to get in over my head.

Edited by gm4life

Yeah the problem with chopping the Holdens is that they are very handsome but also very understated. Like pre-Bangle BMWs. Cadillac is going for more edgy and dynamic designs these days which are hard to chop onto a car like the Statesman/HSV.

Honestly, if I were to do one I would have the Holden as a reference for proportions but use a Cadillac model of some sort as the source.

Yeah the problem with chopping the Holdens is that they are very handsome but also very understated. Like pre-Bangle BMWs. Cadillac is going for more edgy and dynamic designs these days which are hard to chop onto a car like the Statesman/HSV.

Honestly, if I were to do one I would have the Holden as a reference for proportions but use a Cadillac model of some sort as the source.

I think this model, above all others, could use a bit more understated class and less bling.

That said, I'd like to see your version DF.

Not bad!

I had actually forgotten about my request.

Thank you sir, I will take a "not bad" any day. Well in your defense it was ALONG time ago, but I was busy and had to think about it alot before going for it. I wanted to make sure if I went for it the chop would be clean and good quality. I will not use MS paint or half a$$ a chop in photoshop, it must look good for me even to consider keeping it and not destorying it via the eraser tool!

I think this model, above all others, could use a bit more understated class and less bling.

That said, I'd like to see your version DF.

I kind of see it both ways, understated like the Holden is a good thing but nor should it be so "plain" or wild like a CTS. I tried to give a balance of that in the chop. Having said that understated in this class is a good thing, but with some Cadillac swagger. A chop based off of the sold in China SLS would be interesting to see though.

This is very true, and a STS/SLS based chop with more Zeta sizing might be a good idea. You can only do some much to a clean design like the Statesman/Caprice/Park Avenue. One reason I like them so much is the understated elegance.

The exterior looks much better than either the current STS or China market SLS. I think you and Dodgefan have both definitely proven that there is no reason why a Cadillac flagship sedan can't be built on the LWB Zeta platform. Good job!!!!!

:convertible:

The exterior looks much better than either the current STS or China market SLS. I think you and Dodgefan have both definitely proven that there is no reason why a Cadillac flagship sedan can't be built on the LWB Zeta platform. Good job!!!!!

Well thank you sir for the kind words! I think it turned out well too!

:convertible:

Well thank you sir for the kind words! I think it turned out well too!

I think I would pick your version to be the proper Zeta based flagship sedan for Cadillac.

I would use Dodgefan's ZTS version as a 4-door flagship sports coupe built on an extended version of the Corvette's Y-body platform.

I think there is room in Cadillac's lineup for both versions. Both of them look phenomenal and serve distinct purposes.

I would use Dodgefan's ZTS version as a 4-door flagship sports coupe built on an extended version of the Corvette's Y-body platform.

Say, there's quite an idea...

Say, there's quite an idea...

Thanks! I would still like to see a Corvette platform mate in Cadillac's lineup. A 4-door "coupe" on a stretched Y-body might sell better for Cadillac than the retractable hardtop XLR did. Combining a little "practicality" with a killer design might appeal to a wider audience.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0