Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Spy Shots: 2011 BMW 5-Series

14 posts in this topic

bmw_5_spy_pat.jpg

The 2011 BMW 5-Series is slowly undressing as far as camouflage goes, and its looks are going the "more substantial" route to match its more substantial, modified 7 Series chassis along with a dose of 5 Series Gran Turismo in back. The front end gets a less sculpted treatment while, if the swirls don't deceive us, the rear glasshouse slopes more steeply into the trunk lid. The lower rear fascia gets the same severe angle as that on the 5Series GT.

Inside - at least according to the forms, since everything but the shift lever and iDrive is covered - it is beginning to look like a 7 Series in miniature.

Under the hood will be the usual suspects, with the 550i supposedly getting the brand's eight-speed auto. There are also rumors of a turbocharged four-cylinder and Active Hybrid. The car should make its first public appearance sometime early next year.

View the full article

The 7 series is not something that will win any style awards. So I don't expect the 5 series to either.

I like the 3 series much more.

Does a car really need 8 gears? Pretty soon cars are going to have more gears than big-rigs.

There is no way something like a BMW 550i needs 8 speeds! The torque curve on that thing has got to be pretty meaty and fairly flat.

There is no way something like a BMW 550i needs 8 speeds! The torque curve on that thing has got to be pretty meaty and fairly flat.

I suppose they are trying to upstage Mercedes and their 7-speed. Watch for Lexus to trump both of them, w/ a 10 speed.. :)

Since it's got so much torque, maybe 8th gear allows for 900 rpm at 80 mph for less highway fuel consumption...

550i torque will be 450 lb-ft @ 1800-4500 rpm. But with Lexus offering 8 gears and Mercedes having 7, BMW had to join them. The Genesis is getting an 8-speed in 2011 also. It does seem like it could be a lot of shifting though, but BMW I suspect will get it right.

I thought the 'my transmission has more gears than yours' war went out with a whimper with Lexus' 8 speed.

wouldn't it be easier to have a 5 speed... and have a 2 speed behind it....and have a "city mode" and a "highway mode"....?

550i torque will be 450 lb-ft @ 1800-4500 rpm. But with Lexus offering 8 gears and Mercedes having 7, BMW had to join them. The Genesis is getting an 8-speed in 2011 also. It does seem like it could be a lot of shifting though, but BMW I suspect will get it right.

I forgot it's got twin-turbos on it now... ridunkulous. BMW, how about a nice 520d, please?

wouldn't it be easier to have a 5 speed... and have a 2 speed behind it....and have a "city mode" and a "highway mode"....?

A 5-speed auto with a 2-speed differential.....nice

I forgot it's got twin-turbos on it now... ridunkulous. BMW, how about a nice 520d, please?

this...

But that doesn't enhance your penis like 8 speeds would.