When GM had all its domestic brands, which was your favorite?

When GM had all its domestic brands, which was your favorite?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. When GM had all its domestic brands, which was your favorite?

• Chevrolet
    • Pontiac
    • Oldsmobile
    • Buick
    • Cadillac
    • GMC

I was thinking about the consistency with which I liked GM brands. I was looking through a classic Pontiac magazine at Borders last night.

Pontiacs had the most interesting styling, both externally and internally.

- My Dad's 70 LeMans coupe (with an inline six) looked better than Cutlass/Skylark/Malibu of the same year.

- Except for 77-78, I always liked the Firebird over the Camaro.

- The 70s and 80s Cutlass Supremes were cleaner, but the Grand Prix and Grand Le Mans had commendable Pontiac grilles and dashboards.

- Pontiac put out nicer full-sizes in the 70s and 80s than did the competition, particularly in 75 and 76 when the Grand Ville and Bonneville sported the 5-spoke Pontiac rally wheels.

- The 80s Grand Prix handled a little bit better than did its stablemates.

- Lately, the Bonnevilles have been the nicest FWD full-size (2000-2005).

- The G8 is outstanding, from every angle.

My answer is Pontiac.

Next would have been Oldsmobile (for 76-77 Cutlass and 82-84 Cutlass + all Intrigues).

Next would have been Buick (for 88-96 Regal coupe and for 08-09 LaCrosse).

No Chevrolet or Cadillac products have been of extreme interest to me.

:scratchchin: What's wrong with my judgment, though? My 2 favorites are no longer around. :lol: well, not that funny.

Edited by trinacriabob

My answer is Pontiac.

Next would have been Oldsmobile (for 76-77 Cutlass and 82-84 Cutlass + all Intrigues).

Next would have been Buick (for 88-96 Regal coupe and for 08-09 LaCrosse).

No Chevrolet or Cadillac products have been of extreme interest to me.

My order is similar... Pontiac clear #1, followed by Olds at 2. Chevy and Buick tie for a distant 3rd. Chevy ends up here due to sheer popularity and models never really exploited by other brands... like the Corvair and ElCamino (yeah, I know about the GMC Sprint)... generally a Buick of the same platform will trump a Chevy for me. Cadillacs are last.

My favorite was Oldsmobile.

If I had to rank them, it would be:

1.Oldsmobile (tie)

1. Pontiac( tie)

2. Cadillac

3. GMC

4. Chevrolet( these two could flip flop)

5. Buick ( these two could flip flop)

If you asked me now about GM overall in 2009:

1. Holden

2. Cadillac( tied)

3. Vauxhall( tied)

4. Chevrolet

5. GMC

6. Opel

7. Daewoo

8. Buick

I'm gonna make you guys guess :P

BTW! Where's LaSalle, Oakland, Marquette, Viking and the others?!? :cussing:

Well, this isn't your Grandpa's GM fan site.. :) Those brands have been gone for over 7 decades (LaSalle almost at 7 now).

In the pre mass FWD era (70s-80s), I'd say my preferences were:

Pontiac

Oldsmobile

Buick

Chevy

Cadillac

GMC

in that order

In 2010,

Cadillac

Chevy

Buick

GMC

in that order.

For me, I can think of many models from all the GM brands that I find interesting from about 1960 to 1980. A smaller number in the '80s, and only a handful in the '90s and the '00s. Too many appliances from GM (and other makers) in the last 30 years, IMHO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well, this isn't your Grandpa's GM fan site.. :) Those brands have been gone for over 7 decades (LaSalle almost at 7 now).

Where's 68 when you need him?

Chris

Yay, a thread asking about people's favorite brands that purposely denies the existence of brands based on the favorite brands of the thread author. Do me a favor - stay out of journalism, it's biased enough. :rolleyes:

I apologize. I outright forgot. I grew up with "5 + GMC" etched in my brain.

Oldsmobile

Cadillac

Chevy

Saturn

Pontiac

Buick

GMC

Obviously none of them have managed to build consistently average or above average models the last 30 years across their lineups but of the last 30 years I probably admired Oldsmobile's design the most the last 20 it was around and Chevy has always had the Vette.

I voted Oldsmobile, its it amazing that Oldsmobile has this much support 5 years after they stopped building it?

Right now its Olds in the lead with 11 votes, followed by Pontiac with 8, Buick and GMC have 0. I hope a GM product planner comes across this poll.....

Maybe I should have voted for GMC instead of Pontiac then :P

Out of the four core GM brands post-2009, GMC would be my #1 preferred choice, followed by Buick, Cadillac, Chevy (though Chevy would be the next affordable price range for me being realistic).

I voted Oldsmobile, its it amazing that Oldsmobile has this much support 5 years after they stopped building it?

Right now its Olds in the lead with 11 votes, followed by Pontiac with 8, Buick and GMC have 0. I hope a GM product planner comes across this poll.....

I saw that, too, but keep in mind that this forum is populated by hard-core aficionados of those brands, Olds/Pontiac, who (unfortunately) do not represent the general car buying public.

I saw that, too, but keep in mind that this forum is populated by hard-core aficionados of those brands, Olds/Pontiac, who (unfortunately) do not represent the general car buying public.

Olds was still selling over 250k a year until the announcement. They were the only division to have DOHC engines available across the line (except for Silhouette), It was the only division to have the cruise not mounted on the turn signal (again except for the minivan), they regularly got compliments for their interior and exterior styling, they were one of the first to have NAV and Oldsmobile cars were generally considered to be the best version of whatever platform they sat on.

but there I go ranting about something that can't be changed.....

Olds was still selling over 250k a year until the announcement. They were the only division to have DOHC engines available across the line (except for Silhouette), It was the only division to have the cruise not mounted on the turn signal (again except for the minivan), they regularly got compliments for their interior and exterior styling, they were one of the first to have NAV and Oldsmobile cars were generally considered to be the best version of whatever platform they sat on.

You see how GM doesn't always make the right decisions? GM should have kept Olds and let Buick go. But GM doesn't keep the best cars and brands, only the cheapest.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Taking a look at the Oldsmobile decision from the perspective of a few passed years is a worthwhile exercise.

When GM had all of it's brands:

1) Pontiac

2) Chevrolet (A very close second)

3) Buick (A lot of it has to do with what Buick MADE and their amazing concepts)

4) Saturn -- new line up (could interchange with GMC, but gets the nod because I'm more of a car guy)

5) GMC (Love GMC, but I'm just not a truck enthusiast.)

6) Cadillac (Love it's history and the CTS and Escalade are hella nice, but aside from that caddy is highly overrated)

7) Oldsmobile (Not that Olds isn't cool. I dearly miss it. It just didn't appeal to me as much as the other classic stuff. And their is no really new stuff to compare with.

NOW:

1) Chevrolet (Eventhough MOST of the new stuff is too bland for me)

2) Buick (Buick could pass Chevrolet if Chevy continues to forget about affordable performance and good design)

3) GMC (again, only this low because I'm a car guy. Could climb if they keep making stuff like the Terrain)

4) Cadillac (see above comments)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Olds is winning!! LOL Have loved them since I was a little girl, second would be Pontiac. Mom's a big Pontiac fanatic and third would Cadillac. Never really ha a soft spot for Chevrolet until I started working for them. Always liked BOPC for their uniqueness and styling.

^ That's the wife's car, not mine. Only the 'clunker' was mine. :P

Where you'd find the irony is that I drive a Silverado 2500HD.

Certainly not my first choice, hemmed & hawed over it quite a bit, bought it (an '04) in '06.

The original owner only wanted wholesale, not retail value, and the spread there was $5K.

Hard to pass up, esp with my F-150 at 146K and with only a regular cab.

37K miles later... it's a great truck, suits every one of my needs,

but I'm not in love with it as I've been with most of my other daily drivers.

-- -- -- -- --

BTW- this is the only Chevy I've had (are we really going to count the shell of a '63 Nova convert I owned for 2 weeks??), and I've owned 7 Pontiacs.

Edited by balthazar

Actually I love a lot of Pontiacs but I've never owned one.

Wish I could buy a car like Balthazars Grand Prix off of the showroom floor. Now THAT was a Pontiac.

Chris

My "order" for the 1970s to 1980s....

1 ... Chevy

2 ... Oldsmobile

3 ... Buick

4 ... Cadillac

5 ... Pontiac

6 ... GMC (never really understood why this was a separate brand....)

7 ... Saturn

And today:

1 ... Cadillac

2 ... Buick

3 ... GMC

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...drive south, Nov 09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The tables finally turned" ... Randy Travis / Carrie Underwood ... 'I Told You So'