Should I?

Someone offered me a '78 Camaro rolling chassis for trade on what's left of the Firebird today.

I'm seriously thinking about having a project to put away and begin working on when I finish up with the Regal's interior and paint. While I would really like to have a tired old Cutlass to work on and eventually slip the Regal's Rocket 350 into, I'm mulling over pulling the trigger on this particular trade. Winter's getting close and the Firebird has to go as soon as possible. Factor in that I could be moving soon into a house with a nice garage to work in and well ...

The Camaro has one big downside: the sheetmetal is full of rust. I'll just let you guys check it out for yourselves from this pic the owner sent me.

camaro2.jpg

Replacement sheetmetal isn't too expensive. I'm just wondering how far has the Camaro's cancer taken over? Is the frame as rusty as the sheetmetal? Are the floorpans and motor mounts bad?

I think I'm bad for biting off more than I can chew ...

Edited by whiteknight

Yeah I'm giving this a resounding no.

However, not more than four hours after this offer, I received a much better one: a chance to finally own a dream car of mine that really makes this Camaro look even more like a POS. If all goes well, it could be in my hands this weekend. :AH-HA_wink:

If the body on the Camaro had been clean, it would have been a good deal.

Yeah, it's too bad it wasn't in better shape. It would have made a great project, perhaps a nice Z/28 clone.

As soon as the pics of the new offer get to me, I'll let you guys give me your opinion on it. I know it needs far less work than this and it actually has a running engine.

A hint as to what I've been offered: http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?s=...st&p=549119

Edited by whiteknight

That Camaro is a turdwagon. If you really want it, offer to take it off his hands for whatever a junkyard would pay (about $100 at the moment) and cobb it back together with the cheapest parts you can find. It's a pile now and will NEVER be a nice car, but could be a fun burnout machine/around town rat with a couple of bucks and some elbow grease.

S6000?

Dammit, this is going to jinx me, but I'm too excited to play mind games.

79%20Trans%20Am.jpg

That's not the car, no, but that's what I've been offered and that's what I'm hoping and praying will be mine.

I'm going to knock on all of the wood in the house.

Edited by whiteknight

By judging from the pics, nothing on that car is beyond my skill to fix. Just about the only labor I will have to pay for will be for a few spots of bodywork (I can cut out the bad section of the passenger side rear quarter with a cutting tool myself) and to patch the floorboards, but I do know a few people that will do all of that cheap. I could have this thing roadworthy by this time next year, finances permitting.

I would be stupid not to take it.

I think this has the Olds 403 in it too. I do expect it to have leaky valve pan gaskets, but that's nothing big.

Edited by whiteknight

I wouldn't mind having another older car to tinker with, not a money pit, but something nice...but I'll usually always prioritize my disposable money for vacations before another car. I don't have enough garage space either. A few years from now, though, once I have a bigger house w/ more garage space far, far away from AZ, then maybe I'll have time for another 1:1 toy..

From your pics it does look rough but doable. When you see it in person, look for some bubbling around the A-pillar and around the rear glass. I'd consider walking away from it if either of those are present. Anything else is repairable.

Good luck.

I feel like a greedy asshole now, Captain. :P

I just have an itch for a Trans Am I just have to scratch. What else can I say? I've wanted one since I was a kid and considering all of the factors, something tells me I had better jump on one now before I'm 30, Trans Am-less, and watching Barrett Jackson seeing them sell for fifty grand, thinking to myself "Goddammit" over and over again.

Edited by whiteknight

Good luck on the new 'bird if you get it...sorry I was late getting back to you on your wrecked bird. Tried to save it...but looks like it's hurt pretty bad.

I've always liked those 70's birds, and regret not owning one when I was younger.

Congrats on being as nuts as the rest of us!

Chris

Good luck on the new 'bird if you get it...sorry I was late getting back to you on your wrecked bird. Tried to save it...but looks like it's hurt pretty bad.

It's cool 66. No worries. :)

I just hope that the other buyers I have lined up will get it out of here.

I've always liked those 70's birds, and regret not owning one when I was younger.

An automotive fear of mine, summed up in one sentence.

Congrats on being as nuts as the rest of us!

Chris

Well, at least I'm getting congratulated and not stuck in a straight-jacket. :D

I feel like a greedy asshole now, Captain. :P

I just have an itch for a Trans Am I just have to scratch. What else can I say? I've wanted one since I was a kid and considering all of the factors, something tells me I had better jump on one now before I'm 30, Trans Am-less, and watching Barrett Jackson seeing them sell for fifty grand, thinking to myself "Goddammit" over and over again.

It's your call dude. But to me, plunking more money on vehicles, while cool, seems like a bad time in your future. Especially now that you're looking at student loans. Call me a pessimist, but I have this feeling you'll end up parting with a ride or two just to pay those loans and their interest, or to finance lucrative endeavors in the future. Don't mortgage your future for the sake of just another car.

I'm gonna stop Negative Nancyin'g, and being a stick in the mud now. :P

Do what makes you happy. 8)

Play it safe. I have 3 cars in my posession and drean about a few more but I just cant. And mine dont really need much work at all. Like I said, play it safe.

It's your call dude. But to me, plunking more money on vehicles, while cool, seems like a bad time in your future. Especially now that you're looking at student loans. Call me a pessimist, but I have this feeling you'll end up parting with a ride or two just to pay those loans and their interest, or to finance lucrative endeavors in the future. Don't mortgage your future for the sake of just another car.

I'm gonna stop Negative Nancyin'g, and being a stick in the mud now. :P

Do what makes you happy. 8)

If worse comes to worse, I know my dad would "buy" the Cutlass from me for all that it's worth and I could "buy" it back from him over time.

I'm going to find a sensible approach to all of this after I sell the Firebird and get my next paycheck here. I had another buyer lined up just in case I backed out of this deal. I just hope they're still interested.

Edited by whiteknight

On the other hand, if you do this...good for you.

I've owned Chevelles but never a 70-72 Cutty, one of the best ever GM designs IMHO.

Like I said, I regret not having a Bird when they were around cheap in good condition. People are not fixing these up en masse like Chevelles, GTO's, Cutty's, Camaro's, Mustangs, Chargers, ETC.

Not that people aren't restoring them but...if you want it get it now.

Chris

Not a T/A, but still worth my time:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1411247324.html

Great T/A clone candidate:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1441054371.html

It's a '76, but still:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1443554910.html

None of these cars would break my bank (I'm actually going to check into the second one).

Edited by whiteknight

Indeed, you will learn all too quickly how much bills and student loans will f*** in the @$.

One nice thing about student compared to other bills... they can take your car... your home... your 65" screen TV and all your stuff... but they can never take your education away from you. Assuming you got a real degree, you can always rebuild your financial status.