Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Rumormill: BMW looking at cheaper 5 Series Gran Turismo, rules out M model

17 posts in this topic

Filed under: Performance, Wagon, Europe, Crossover, Hatchback, BMW, Rumormill, Diesel

325_535i_opt.jpg
BMW 535i Gran Turismo - Click above for high-res image gallery

The famed automotive pot-stirrers at Autocar are at it again. According to two blurbs from the UK publication, BMW's new 5 Series Gran Turismo may spawn at least one less costly, less powerful variant, but a high-performance M version is apparently off the table.

On the fuel and financial economy front, Bimmer is reportedly considering adding four-cylinder powerplants to the controversial new five-door, including the 175 bhp diesel from the 320d. A twin-turbo diesel may also be in the cards. The fear here is that the premium-priced 5GT may in fact be priced too aggressively, as it stickers above a comparable 5 Series Touring model. In any case, we don't expect to see the less-powerful diesel Stateside, although we wouldn't be terribly suprised if the company chose to shoehorn in something like the twin-turbo 3.0-liter diesel already on offer in the 335d.

On the M side of the equation, Autocar says that the gasoline V8-powered 550i will remain the pinnacle of the range, as BMW has "ruled out" a M-Technik variant. Given that BMW has recently seen fit to move M beyond traditional cars (see: X5 and X6) and that these higher performance models often have thicker margins attached, this strikes us as somewhat curious decision - especially as the 5GT figures to be the most dynamically promising of the bunch. This source also doesn't jibe with what we heard from BMW officials just last month when we drove the car in Portugal. At that time, the official line was that no decision had been made, but knowing glances and meek smiles seemed to indicate that things looked good for the model.

In other words, we'll believe it when we (don't) see it.

[source: Autocar]

Rumormill: BMW looking at cheaper 5 Series Gran Turismo, rules out M model originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=7VOSVzCuhgs:saT0dabJZ1I:wF9xT autoblog?i=7VOSVzCuhgs:saT0dabJZ1I:V_sGL
7VOSVzCuhgs

View the full article

>>"BMW has "ruled out" a M-Technik variant."<<

Oh-doh !! Someone's world has just crumbled to dust.

I wish someone would put BMW out of their misery. They are taking much too long to do it themselves...

Odd...thought it was going to be a hatchback, but it has a short decklid instead.

I wish someone would put BMW out of their misery. They are taking much too long to do it themselves...

Sad, isn't it?

This is a quite stupid car. Why BMW feels the need to make cars like this and not focus solely on their core models is beyond my understanding.

So it looks like a hatchback, but has less versatility than a sedan. Where do I sign? :rolleyes:

So it looks like a hatchback, but has less versatility than a sedan. Where do I sign? :rolleyes:

The trunk opens in two ways.

If you're chauffeuring, say, "business associates" around and want the vehicle to behave like a traditional business sedan with a fully-enclosed, separate trunk compartment, you can open just the bottom portion... which won't expose the passenger compartment to weather, smell, noise, or God forbid, "other acoustic disturbances."

But say it's the weekend, and you want some "activity" in your life. Instead of borrowing an SUV to lug around bicycles and other lifestyle equipment, the 5-series GT can handle that, too. For these occasions, the entire liftgate opens, leaving a much larger SUV-like opening.

Hence, "progressive activity sedan."

A rubber-ringed orifice. ULTIMATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ULTIMATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is now a meme.

If you say it's a meme, then it's automatically not.

Also repeating what pow said about the rear opening both like a trunk and a hatch, a la Skoda Superb, for all the haters.

gt535i_fd006.jpg

Ceci tres etrange.

The rear 3/4 view oddly reminds me of the Prius. It's just so tall and frumpy looking. I wouldn't mind a BMW hatchback if it were sleek. Look at the Audi A5 Sportback. That is a sharp looking midsize hatchback.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar