Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: SEMA Preview: Lingenfelter to show off Camaro-based Pontiac Trans Am

22 posts in this topic

Filed under: SEMA Show, Classics, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Specialty

lingenfelter-lta.jpg
2010 Lingenfelter Camaro LTA - Click above for high-res image gallery

Apparently, there are more Trans Am-obsessed Pontiac aficionados in the world than we initially suspected. While we have a major soft spot in our hearts for the old Poncho F-Bodies, we'd never actually go to the trouble of converting a perfectly good 2010 Camaro into something featuring T-tops and emblazoned with tons of Screaming Chickens. Some, though, seem to feel a life without the Trans Am is no kind of life at all.

First, there was the so-called Phoenix conversion from Kevin Morgan. Now, well-known tuning firm Lingenfelter Performance Engineering is entering the fray with its 2010 Camaro LTA, which resurrects another of Pontiac's most famous muscular lumps: the 455 cubic inch V8. In this case, the mill isn't really a Pontiac engine at all - the 655-horsepower engine is based on an aluminum GM LS-series block that's bored and stroked to equal the desired 455 cubes and capped with ported and polished LS7 heads.

Styling obviously takes its inspiration from the 1971 and 1972 TA, complete with the white and blue paint scheme and prominent twin-grille beak (Endura bumper not included). Naturally, front fender vents join a ducktail spoiler at the rear and 20-inch honeycomb wheels complete the visual package. So far, there's no word on pricing, but we wouldn't expect it to come cheap. Stay tuned for an official debut at the upcoming SEMA Show in Las Vegas.

[source: Camaro5.com]

SEMA Preview: Lingenfelter to show off Camaro-based Pontiac Trans Am originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:40:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=rruXOwPJVVQ:IexuQSpr64c:wF9xT autoblog?i=rruXOwPJVVQ:IexuQSpr64c:V_sGL
rruXOwPJVVQ

View the full article

So in essence the last Pontiac is a Trans Am. That's cool. Don't care for it, but cool.

The artwork looks decent, but I have my doubts about the actual finished product.

I like the concept, but I doubt I'd appreciate the execution. No to honeycomb and the rendition of the old body style that looks like a woman's shoe with a serious overbite. Not that the overbite thing was any better, but I'd prefer something closer to pre-70's styling.

69_TA_HT.jpg

I like the concept, but I doubt I'd appreciate the execution. No to honeycomb and the rendition of the old body style that looks like a woman's shoe with a serious overbite. Not that the overbite thing was any better, but I'd prefer something closer to pre-70's styling.

69_TA_HT.jpg

A woman's shoe? Watch your mouth, son.

I'm glad someone else thinks that pre-second generation styling is the better approach.

A woman's shoe? Watch your mouth, son.

I'm glad someone else thinks that pre-second generation styling is the better approach.

It's obviously the better approach given the basic body shape they have to work with, but the second gen is arguably the best loved - so I can see why so many are trying that.

[source: Car and Driver]

Lingenfelter 445 T/A Concept - Auto Shows

Take one part 2010 Camaro and add some '70s Trans-Am . . .

BY JAKE HOLMES, PHOTOGRAPHY BY PATRICK M. HOEY

October 2009

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_7_cd_galler

Given Pontiac's demise, it's clear there won't be any factory-baked Pontiac Trans-Am coming from General Motors. Enter the aftermarket, which has become suddenly eager to serve buyers wanting a new-school T/A. Indeed, joining the conversion kit offered by Phoenix is this Lingenfelter take on turning your brand-new Camaro SS into the modern Trans-Am of your dreams. The concept debuts in the metal at this year's SEMA show in Las Vegas.

Of course, Chevy looks won't do, so there's a new front fascia, a shaker hood, revised rear quarter-panels, functional front fender vents, and an integrated decklid spoiler. New lighting front and rear as well as 20-inch honeycomb wheels complete the exterior transformation, while new blue woven-vinyl seats and a metal-turned instrument panel add retro feel to the inside. We have to admit, this thing really does resemble the 1970s original, and we like it.

Given the company's penchant for pumping up horsepower, of course Lingenfelter would rework the engine, too. Under the striped hood—there's no huge screaming chicken as of now—sits an aluminum 455-cubic-inch (7.5-liter) V-8 block with a lofty 11.5:1 compression ratio, ported-and-polished Lingenfelter heads from the Corvette Z06's LS7, a forged crankshaft, and high-flow intake. The custom stainless-steel exhaust comes courtesy of Corsa. Power output is quoted at 655 hp and 610 lb-ft of torque, up significantly from the 426 hp of a stock manual Camaro SS. Also present are a new twin-disc clutch and flywheel assembly and tougher rear half-shafts to withstand the extra grunt. Handling alterations are limited to the addition of Nitto tires.

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_21_cd_galle

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_20_cd_galle

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_13_cd_galle

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_40_cd_galle

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_9_cd_galler

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_8_cd_galler

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_11_cd_galle

lingenfelter_445_t_a_concept_40_cd_galle

Lingenfelter 445 T/A Concept - Car and Driver

Take one part 2010 Camaro and add some ’70s Trans-Am . . .

BY JAKE HOLMES, PHOTOGRAPHY BY PATRICK M. HOEY

Given Pontiac’s demise, it’s clear there won’t be any factory-baked Pontiac Trans-Am coming from General Motors. Enter the aftermarket, which has become suddenly eager to serve buyers wanting a new-school T/A. Indeed, joining the conversion kit offered by Phoenix is this Lingenfelter take on turning your brand-new Camaro SS into the modern Trans-Am of your dreams. The concept debuts in the metal at this year’s SEMA show in Las Vegas.

Keep Reading

View Gallery

I like the blue interior, but the view of the car in profile says "FAIL" in three-story letters.

Love the Lucerne Blue interior color!

Also the Snowflakes... and tho the overall works, basically... something is slightly off for me.

Something about the front fascia looks slightly.... tumescent to me.

I suppose its only fitting that this car be, in Pontiac tradition, a Chevy with different front and rear fascias and some interior tweaks.

Overall, I don't like it. partly because of the above (looks like they did almost nothing with the body), but mainly because the retro, rounded front end doesn't mesh with teh shape lines of the Camaro's body, and the rear looks half assed.

As for the interior, like the leather insert on the door panels and the idea of an interior color besides dark gray, but not blue. I mean why not go all out and add some velour :P

Or just mix the blue with some more black for contrast.

As an aftermarket thing its cool, certainly a better last Pontiac than a $h!ty G3, G5, or Vibe, but not my thing.

Wow, the only part of this that's not really doing it for me is the taillights, I feel they could have been handled more deftly. Otherwise, I like this for what it is, an aftermarket conversion. Love the huge honeycombs.

It just doesn't work with the basic Camaro body shape.

The details are nice, but...

I suppose its only fitting that this car be, in Pontiac tradition, a Chevy with different front and rear fascias and some interior tweaks.

The second gen cars really were designed as Pontiacs and then were watered down to make the Camaro.

I actually like this design... though I would like to see it in another color, to get a better feel for the contours. I feel the headlights are too dark... the HIDs or whatever look like they are empty holes... I think some chrome is needed in there.

The only thing I don't like was the original chrome bezels on the parking lights... it just doesn't match and looks outdated on this car. I'd rather see something like the split round fog/parking lights from the Solstice/Grand Prix down there, but that's just me.

I would like to see pricing.

The second gen cars really were designed as Pontiacs and then were watered down to make the Camaro.

I actually like this design... though I would like to see it in another color, to get a better feel for the contours. I feel the headlights are too dark... the HIDs or whatever look like they are empty holes... I think some chrome is needed in there.

The only thing I don't like was the original chrome bezels on the parking lights... it just doesn't match and looks outdated on this car. I'd rather see something like the split round fog/parking lights from the Solstice/Grand Prix down there, but that's just me.

I would like to see pricing.

Maybe that's why the 2nd gens are my favorite. :wink:

With everyone clamoring for a new Trans Am so bad, you would think GM would take notice.

With everyone clamoring for a new Trans Am so bad, you would think GM would take notice.

They are trying to get their house in order. You never know in the future. They have that GTO and now this. Hmmm....

GM is noticing, they just cannot do anything about it right now. That is why the Pontiac name and the emblem are not on this car. GM will have a feel if they decide to do something what people want.

A small Pontiac consisting of GTO, Firebird, Bonneville and Grand Prix would be enough. You could also sell them at the Buick GMC dealers as a sub brand of GMC. They would be the car brand of GMC.

Who knows?

IMO, the only way we will ever see a Pontiac again is if GM can arrange it so that it's not a brand in the division sense, but like consumer goods brands are managed. No dealerships labeled as Pontiac, no major management structure for only Pontiac - just a brand name that comes & goes on select product as market demand dictates. Perhaps the name returns for a Trans Am until it falls out of favor, and then the brand disappears again until demand rises. No contracts, dealerships, union agreements, management, or any of that to negotiate with, fire, or try to appease. Simply a marketing team that moves on to another product under another brand. I can't imagine GM spending the time, money, and effort in dropping a brand only to pick it back up again with all the burdens it carries.

The first thing that would be nice to do if they could is to install a Buttler Performance ALuminum Pontiac Engine in one of these remakes. I mean if you want it to be a Pontiac what better than a modern Aluminum Pontiac style block and heads at 455 inches.

I was there when Buttler ran well over 200 MPH in the 1/4 mile with one of these engines and I have many friends who have them in their Pontiac street and race cars. There is so much they can so with this combo and the rear main seals don't leak.

It would add to the cost but none of these are cheap and the presents of a Pontiac based engine would help convince this was not just another Camaro body remake.

Kind of like how the interior helps in this case.

With the body lines they have to work with it is odd that no one has attempted a 69 TA? That style would better fit this profile.

Edited by hyperv6

The first thing that would be nice to do if they could is to install a Buttler Performance ALuminum Pontiac Engine in one of these remakes. I mean if you want it to be a Pontiac what better than a modern Aluminum Pontiac style block and heads at 455 inches.

I like the idea, but unfortunately, I fear this would be really difficult to do from an state emissions point of view, as its no longer a tweaked engine, but a whole new monster. You are looking at a aftermarket engine management system... it wouldn't be OBD2 compliant and it would not talk properly with the rest of the car's CAN protocol. The cost would be outrageous... I'm sure pushing the car to the 6 figure range. Not saying its impossible... just hard.

With the body lines they have to work with it is odd that no one has attempted a 69 TA? That style would better fit this profile.

I agree.. I'd like to see a '69 influenced version... but I think that has been tough to do due to the inability to put a big chrome beak on the car... either stylistically (chrome does have a dated look in manys' eyes), environmentally (chroming is a nasty process) or from an anti-glare perspective (lots of chrome is frowned upon by federalization... you can't legally replace your vintage chrome-backed mirror with a street legal repro... they are all 'for offroad use only').

Of course, a '69 could be done without the chrome beak, but I think it comes off looking a bit too GTO-ish.

Also, while there is a lot of 1st gen Firebird faithful, a lot of people feel the 1st gen is too Camaro like... especially the '67-'68... which is somewhat true, considering Pontiac was invited to the party so late... but for all the Chevy people who like to point out the Firebird's Camaro DNA, I like to point out that without the Firebird's sales in '72~'73, the Camaro would not have survived the mid '70s, and it would have been a mere footnote in automotive history.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0