The SF Bay Bridge is CLOSED

SoCal all the way, and I think LA is more photogenic only because it looks "warm" in just about every picture. SF looks...not "warm."

:lol:

that's why Northern Californians get a slightly better reception when they transplant to the PNW...it's a little more of a "two peas in a pod" situation...the Southern Californian is a little bit too unbridled for the walk-on-eggshells sensibilities up there.

It's kind of weird. The SF Bay Area is clearly the more "photogenic" of the two, especially with the (now somewhat less alarming) smog problem in LA, but I really like the vibe of the Southland better than that of the Bay Area (and this thread was about the Bay Area).

I think most people clearly like one over the other as their preferred place to live, if they have a choice in the matter, and that's how it shakes out. I know very few people who would be "indifferent" on this one.

I presume the Bay Bridge is now operational, but they did say another closure is foreseen to perform a more complete repair.

To me, I'd rather "live" in southern California, but "visit" San Francisco for fun.......

The weather is just so much better down here.......and the people are way more laid-back in many respects.....people in SF seem so uptight.....and they have a real inferiority complex with L.A......hell, L.A. is the "New York" of the west coast......a world-wide powerhouse of a city with influence that reaches the world over many times.....for all it's beauty and culture, SF simply cannot compete in that arena......

San Francisco is beautiful and there is no denying the international appeal of the city in terms of dining, museums, and the like......all much more centrally located.......but then again in Los Angeles, you can get just as much culture, entertainment, and high-society......you just have to drive around for it more......lol

As far as which is more beautiful.......I call it a "draw." There's nothing like driving into San Francisco over the Bay Bridge and coming into the city.......one of the most beautiful sights anywhere.....and the "Manhattan"-like feel of the city is awesome......

......but then again, almost as beautiful is the (often-seen) picture of downtown L.A. with the snow-capped mountains in the background, and beautiful palm trees in the foreground......and the coastline along southern California could be said to be some of the most beautiful in the world......

the people are way more laid-back in many respects.....people in SF seem so uptight.....hell, L.A. is the "New York" of the west coast......a world-wide powerhouse of a city with influence that reaches the world over many times.....

I call it a "draw."

There's nothing like driving into San Francisco over the Bay Bridge and coming into the city.......one of the most beautiful sights anywhere.....

......but then again, almost as beautiful is the (often-seen) picture of downtown L.A. with the snow-capped mountains in the background, and beautiful palm trees in the foreground......

+1 - I vote So.Cal.

I agree with everything you say, with the minor exception that San Francisco has always been regarded the financial/banking center of the West, though that has even out over the years.

That's right, the "procession" over the SF Bay Bridge...accelearting up ono the East Span...temporarily disappearing into the Yerba Buena tunnel...and then doing 4 spans of Bay Bridge, with the skyline always visible on your right hand side, is NEVER tiresome.

But, you're right, too. SF doesn't have any snow-capped mountains in its backdrop. So that's L.A.'s trump card.

+1 - I vote So.Cal.

I agree with everything you say, with the minor exception that San Francisco has always been regarded the financial/banking center of the West, though that has even out over the years.

That's right, the "procession" over the SF Bay Bridge...accelearting up ono the East Span...temporarily disappearing into the Yerba Buena tunnel...and then doing 4 spans of Bay Bridge, with the skyline always visible on your right hand side, is NEVER tiresome.

But, you're right, too. SF doesn't have any snow-capped mountains in its backdrop. So that's L.A.'s trump card.

And of course, the center of the universe for software and hardware technology is in the Bay Area also...with feeder schools of Stanford and Berkeley and immigrants from all over the US and the world coming to SF and the Silicon Valley for it's established companies and startups, and all the VC financing on Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park. I've had the opportunity several times over the last 15 years to move to San Jose/Sunnyvale/etc but for one reason or another, haven't.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar