Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: A new Chrysler logo takes wing?

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: Chrysler, Design/Style

chrysler_newwinglogo.jpg
New Chrysler logo filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

Tomorrow, we'll get the official skinny from Chrysler on what the automaker's product plans are over the next few years. As the Fiat-directed new (and new again) Chrysler looks to break free from the shackles of mediocrity and reinvent itself, a filing at the U.S. Patent and Trademark office appears to confirm an Allpar report published earlier this month, showing the new winged logo that will presumably adorn cars coming from the Chrysler division. The look is sleeker and clearly more modern than the previous winged logo, which incorporated the old Chrysler seal. The new one has an almost Aston-esque vibe to it, featuring "Chrysler" embossed in a blue emblem centered between the outstretched wings. Allpar also reports that Dodge cars will ditch the Ram's-head logo for something all their own as well. We've got a feeling everything will be revealed during Chrysler's marathon six-hour press briefing tomorrow, so stay tuned for more. Thanks to Mike for the link!

[source: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office]

A new Chrysler logo takes wing? originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=4VZaZctkarg:Yzx0vuQJWZ4:wF9xT autoblog?i=4VZaZctkarg:Yzx0vuQJWZ4:V_sGL
4VZaZctkarg

View the full article

Almost feels too Aston-esque, but it does look nice.

Yuck.

They should just go back to this

chrysler_logo.jpg

Yuck.

They should just go back to this

chrysler_logo.jpg

You're kidding, right?

I know a lot of you are into nostalgia and heritage, but that logo has always been awful. At least they kept it small enough in the past to the point that you never noticed it much, and in more recent interpretations it has been surrounded by the "wings".

Not the best new logo, but it's definitely better than the seal without the wings (YUCK!). Hopefully it will be nicely placed on a 200C in the future....

It's much more sleek and modern looking than the current one. I'd like to know what is contained within the blue area. I would have liked to have seen them keep the center part of the old logo, (the circular part that actually says Chrysler) maybe modernize its design, but then I see the new logo as sort of forward thinking, a fresh start if you will. How much of that ideology makes it to the product will be key.

I like the new logo but they should incorporate the Pentastar into it somehow.

That would have been cool.

Unfortunately, I only like seeing the Pentastar on the side of the Chrysler headquarters building.

While the Pentastar is a fantastic logo, Chrysler ruined it by forcing Dodge and Plymouth to use the logo, watering it down... and for many, it conjures up images of K-cars and worn out minivans. I've felt Dodge has done well with its ram logo and the "old new" Chrysler was fine... even if its somewhat cumbersome for some formats due to its length.

I've always wondered what the significance of the five sided logo was.

As for Dodge, if they are losing the ram logo, I'd seriously like to see a Fratzog-inspired logo, but I would fear it would be too much like the Mitsu logo. While thinking what a modern Fratzog would look like, I kept coming up with something like the Klingon insignia. ;-)

... and for many, it conjures up images of K-cars and worn out minivans.

That's exactly what it does for me - instant K-car flashbacks. *shudders*

That's exactly what it does for me - instant K-car flashbacks. *shudders*

well the current logo conjures up visions of all the crappy chryslers of the last decade (300 excluded).

5 sides:

1) Dodge

2) Chrysler

3)Plymouth

4) Jeep

5)Eagle

5 sides:

1) Dodge

2) Chrysler

3)Plymouth

4) Jeep

5)Eagle

In olden days (1957, for example), they may have been:

1) Plymouth

2) Dodge

3) DeSoto

4) Chrysler

5) Imperial

1) Plymouth

2) Dodge

3) DeSoto

4) Chrysler

5) Imperial

This is most likely, the pentastar has been around a long time.

I'd like to know what is contained within the blue area.

"CHRYSLER" is embossed into the blue section.

Yeah I see that now. the original image I saw on LHF (where I copy/pasted that post from) was too small to read it.

1) Plymouth

2) Dodge

3) DeSoto

4) Chrysler

5) Imperial

True, but DeSoto was gone when the Pentastar appeared in '62~63.

And depending on how you count, Chrysler has had a lot more 5 brands at that time... Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial, Hillman, Simca, Humber, Fargo... etc.

And depending on how you count, Chrysler has had a lot more 5 brands at that time... Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial, Hillman, Simca, Humber, Fargo... etc.

I wasn't sure when the Pentastar first appeared.. at one time (1960 or so), Valiant was considered a separate brand. By '62 it was considered a Plymouth, I think.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Pentastar useage began quickly after it was designed, appearing in advertising beginning during the '63 MY.

DeSoto was discontinued in Nov of '60 (thoDeSoto trucks (overseas) went on into the '70s).

Hillman, SIMCA, Humber, etc., were not considered 'core brands' but satellites.

Pentastar was NOT designed with the simplistic guidance of '5 sides = 5 divisions'.

-- -- -- -- --

>>"...the five points do not stand for the five car divisions; at the time, Chrysler sold cars (Valiant, Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial, Hillman, Sunbeam, Singer, Humber, Simca), trucks (Dodge, Fargo, DeSoto, Commer, Karrier, Barreiros), industrial and marine engines, boats, army tanks, air conditioners, heating systems, chemicals, plastics, missiles, electronics, and financial products.

The Pentastar was created by Robert Stanley, at the Lippincott & Marguiles design firm. He wanted, according to his blog entry, “something simple, a classic, dynamic but stable shape for a mark that would lend itself to a highly designed, styled product. What that meant, basically, was a classic geometric form. We wanted something that was not stolid. That’s the reason that we broke up the pentagonal form that became the Pentastar. It provides a certain tension and a dynamic quality.” "<<

-- allpar.com

-- -- -- -- --