Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Toyota Quits Formula One, Cries About It [Racing News]

15 posts in this topic

500x_Toyota_Chairman_Crying.jpgAfter spending nine years and over $2.4 billion dollars without a single race victory, Toyota has officially dropped out of Formula One. As you can see from the photo, Toyota Motorsport Chairman Tadashi Yamashina was quite broken up about it.

Of course, this means there's no longer a Japanese manufacturer in Formula One with Honda gone and no carmaker from the Land of the Rising Sun in a position to throw that much money away. [AutoNews]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=UkoTLhouFWY:KTLkSnkhfhY:D7DqB2pKE full?i=UkoTLhouFWY:KTLkSnkhfhY:V_sGLiPBp
UkoTLhouFWY

View the full article

It's an expensive sport. Bridgestone is dropping out also, and Renault is rumored to be leaving as well, in the wake of the '08 Singapore scandal.

Which is why I like racing at the grassroots level, where Toyota has Celicas, old Supras (remember the 80's Supras, not the 90's ones the Fast and Furious wannabe's drive but the 80's versions) MR2-'S, MR2-Spyders, Scion TC's et al---

Get there ass handed to them every weekend.

Chris

Honda, BMW, and now Toyota.

Honda has eleventy billion times the motorsport credibility of Toyota IMHO.

Honda builds the Indy car motors, the Civic SI is quite competitive in showroom stock racing and rallycrossing, the S2000 is a fantastic track car, the Integra (while not my first choice for a race car) is able to be raced, and is raced, in several venues, et al.

Toyota-Not so much.

Chris

Honda has eleventy billion times the motorsport credibility of Toyota IMHO.

Honda builds the Indy car motors, the Civic SI is quite competitive in showroom stock racing and rallycrossing, the S2000 is a fantastic track car, the Integra (while not my first choice for a race car) is able to be raced, and is raced, in several venues, et al.

Toyota-Not so much.

Chris

It's too bad Honda exited F1 last year.. their engines were so competitive during my favorite era of F1, the late '80s...loved watching the Prost-Senna McLaren Honda MP4/4s...

Rob

Honda IMHO builds the worlds best motors, in some ways. Remember the era of F1 you are talking about findly, Cubical.

Honda has some great design.

Toyota...not so much.

Reality will set in very slowly.

Really, as far as European racing goes I like rallying much better...as well as lower level open wheel racing like Formula Ford.

Chris

I still don't really get why any manufacturer participates. I understand that some minor technological innovations end up in the showroom eventually, but whats' the average return on investment here?

They participate cause they would rather spend the money on what they want to (racing) then getting taxed on it and letting somebody else spend the money. (Government)

Sounds like F1 needs to re-evaluate.

They needed that 10 years ago. It's not about the mechanics of a car anymore, it's about the technology and the driver being able to handle it. I lost interest in F1 years ago because of this.

Sounds like F1 needs to re-evaluate.

It is known as Bernie's circus. Ecclestone is like the dictator of F1. F1 has become too expensive for its own good.

As for Toy - I do not feel sorry at all. With the highest spending budget in F1 over the last few years and nearly 200 races and 9 years into the F1 circuit if a company still does not win ONE race then it really shows the technological prowess and innovation the company has.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room