Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: 2012 Dodge Charger: First Look [New Cars]

36 posts in this topic

500x_2012_Dodge_Charger.jpgAmong the news from today's New New Chrysler briefing was this slide of the 2012 Dodge Charger. The design is so good it apparently made Ralph Giles weep with joy. Look familiar? There's a reason...

This image reveals a sloping belt line and strong curve building from the front to the shoulders, reminiscent of the 1999 Dodge RT Charger Concept (below) it seems to borrow heavily from. We're also told the new Charger initially had rear door handles in the roof line rather than the door panel — giving it a two-door look — but this was eventually dropped. Any other details stick out?

500x_Dodge_Charger_RT_Concept.jpg

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=DFnvELlz_c4:el7nGHNFTZg:D7DqB2pKE full?i=DFnvELlz_c4:el7nGHNFTZg:V_sGLiPBp
DFnvELlz_c4

View the full article

I'm talking about the '99 concept - gorgeous car. I must have walked around it a hundred times at the Philly show back then.

Imagine that.

Me

Gawking at a sedan.

The '99 concept certainly has aged well and with minor detail changes could make this sedan a real stunner.

It seems there will be at least one sedan I can have respect after the G8.

I have my doubts that the front of the car will look similar to that illustration and I hope that they're right.

I have my doubts that the front of the car will look similar to that illustration and I hope that they're right.

Yeah, the first pic of the front looks kind of Mustang like.

The 99 Charger concept was beautiful. I actually had it as my background for a while, and normally I don't like Dodges. Could it be the Italian influence pushing for that design?

The old concept is pretty ungainly. But I guess what would you expect from Chrysler in the 90's?

I'm sure the new thing looks a lot better, even if it draws some cues from the old concept. That obscure side shot doesn't give much to work with.

The Chrysler-supplied photo looks extremely promising. The renders do not. Model year 2012? That's sooo long to wait to see this thing in the metal.

The old concept is pretty ungainly. But I guess what would you expect from Chrysler in the 90's?

I'm sure the new thing looks a lot better, even if it draws some cues from the old concept. That obscure side shot doesn't give much to work with.

In the 90's I expect their stuff to look better than most of what the competition offered.

But I will say I was never much of a fan of the concept. Proportions weren't right to me. This should be better.

In the 90's I expect their stuff to look better than most of what the competition offered.

But I will say I was never much of a fan of the concept. Proportions weren't right to me. This should be better.

That surprises me a bit.

But then, you like the current Charger, right?

Actually, Chrysler had arguably the best concepts in that entire decade.

The styling was amazing.

Actually, Chrysler had arguably the best concepts in that entire decade.

The styling was amazing.

Yes, I do like the current Charger, though the concept had a much better interior. I like elements of the concept but from some angles it just looked awkward to me. I also prefer how the current one looks angry.

Interesting tidbit from Allpar:

The 1999 Dodge Charger R/T caused a lot of excitement, but according to one insider, it could not have been built on the same line as the Intrepid and Concorde, and crash testing would probably have required changes as well.

Quite a bit of work and money would have to be invested to put the Charger into production; and the entire LX project was trashed as soon as Mercedes took over, though it had been ready to go. There was no money to continue the Charger after the takeover - to quote that insider, "things went to Hell in a handbasket in a BIG hurry in both places."

So once again, you can thank the Germans for another element of Chyysler that got f**ked up.

Thankfully, the stupid back window kick up is gone... clearly the worse bit of the existing Charger.

Thankfully, the stupid back window kick up is gone... clearly the worse bit of the existing Charger.

The window kickup was about the only retro touch on the car, I assume that detail was meant to be a similar shape to the '68-70 quarter window..

Current Charger - 2 thumbs up.

'99 Charger concept - 2 thumbs down. Highly overrated IMO. Never cared for it at all, tho I would never call it 'ugly' or the like.

white allpar car - 2 thumbs down. Mismash of various designs, a lot less aggressive/ more generic.

The window kickup was about the only retro touch on the car, I assume that detail was meant to be a similar shape to the '68-70 quarter window..

Yeah, but its upside down. The '68~'70s kick up only a hair... but slope down at the top a lot... and the slope down is the major part of the look. The kick up looks like Dodge is stealing from AMC's Rebel and Gremlin... and kick ups are showing up all over the place.

I think the 1999 Concept Charger was one of the best styled concepts out of the "Domestic three" for a long, lonnngggg time.

The Charger concept was a gorgeous car, but I'll have to assume some here didn't like the "styling" of the nameplate attached.....?

:AH-HA_wink:

LOL

1999-Dodge-Charger-425-2.jpg