Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Can Martha Stewart help sell Buicks?

wildcat

When GM launched the Pontiac Solstice with a segment on Donald Trump's Thursday night NBC reality TV show "The Apprentice" last season, a thousand people pre-ordered the car within an hour of watching the broadcast. Can similar interest be generated for Buick ^_^ , when it sponsors a "full-episode product integration" on the new Wednesday edition of "The Apprentice," hosted by Martha Stewart? (Maybe it won't necessarily be the same kind of episode, as which Trump's protegees helped to create an advertising campaign for the Solstice. GM isn't revealing details yet.) For the report, here is a direct link

I presume they will hype the tasteful, new Buick Lucerne. I didn't watch Martha Stewart's talk show, etc. so how good of a fit is her approach with Buick's intended image? No prison jokes :o, please. Edited by wildcat

I don't know.. I mean, if I were Buick, I'd be ashamed of their products right about now. There's nothing exciting. There's nothing unique. I mean, the only reason I still have interest in them is because I'm a huge Buick fan--but man, they are having a hard time keeping me interested.

Paulie... a 275hp full size Buick sedan with magnetic ride control has to be some-what exciting for you :)

[post="5193"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, that might be nice if I didn't have to spend like $44,000 on it.

How about a LaCrosse that has something powerful like that... maybe a CXS with the 3.6L that gets 260hp and has magnetic ride control for about 32K?

No no no , please not Martha Stewart. I thought GM was trying to improve Buicks image, qeeze this is just going to make them the laughing stock. Cant anyone else see it or is it just my outlook on Buick automobiles being associated with better housekeeping. then theres the jail bird thing and the idea the movie implanted in most peoples heads that she was a controlling arrogant bitch This is a serious wrong move. Bad new. Bad, bad, bad, Dont do it please.

Martha Stewart won't be the only outlet for Buick marketing... but it is a smart move in my opinion. The marketing won't appeal to you in particular, but it wasn't meant to either. :) Buick needs to be exposed to several different markets and become a viable brand in those markets. Martha Stewart is in this to make money and rebuild the empire. Buick will get the chance to be associated with several current and up-and-coming premium brands. All the while still getting coverage with the 30-50 year old female audience.

...I'm a huge Buick fan--but man, they are having a hard time keeping me interested.

Change "Buick" to "Chevrolet" ... and you have my sentiments exactly....

*sighs*

I think part of the reason I may sell my 5 MCs is because the current stuff isn't anything I'm interested in.... Sad, isn't it?

Anyway...regarding Martha Stewart and Buick...not sure how well that'll go over. I'd think the Martha Stewart brand connection is a bit dicey considering recent history, but then again ... well, ya just never know. Sometimes, recognition/media attention can spark interest/enthusiasm.

Guess we'll see.

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"I'm fading away" ... Simple Plan ... 'Untitled'

*softly spoken* "And tonight ladies and gentlemen, we will be learning how to make faux wood for the interior trim of a Buick LaCrosse out of ordinary candle wax, chewing gum, and cinnamon sticks. But first, a word from my Paroll Officer, errr.... my sponser." Okay people, now I'm worried about this, did the joke land alright or did I just make an ass out of myself? :P

OK I shall try t be positive or rather ignore this idea of marketing. Now Buick is no longer going to be the old folks car but its going to be a woman car. Just great, now we Buick drivers wont be called Grandpas , we'll be called Bitch's.
-
-
-
that was my attempt at a joke

[post="5323"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LOL!!!

Honestly this is probably Buick's best marketing move I know of. Tiger Woods doesn't sell Buicks, I don't care what anyone says. Old people like golf and Buick wants old people to see the new Buicks but they have the Buick Open to advertise- the money they spend on Woods is ridiculous. Then they usually advertise during the Emmys... yea- wow, I can't think of another award show I wait all year for. That was my attempt at a joke. NOBODY watches the Emmys- old, young, male, or female. This new Apprentice thing (even though I hate Donald Trump and I hate Martha Stewart) is creating a lot of buzz in the Newspaper. Just Friday the USA today put Martha right on the front page taking up the whole damn newspaper like it was a big deal that she was going on the Apprentice. The last Apprentice was a marketing success and pulled in a lot of viewers, Martha Stewart's is drawing in a lot of curious people and I think Buick will get noticed there. But if you didn't know my opinion yet (which I doubt)- Buick needs more cars and they need to be sportier. I like the Lucerne and am proud it's in the lineup... but going from the Regal to the LaCrosse is upsetting because the LaCrosse basically killed any sportiness Buick ever had... It's sad that the Lucerne, a full sized sedan, is more sporty than any option on the LaCrosse.

If Martha were to actually drive a Buick, what would she choose? I think she would buy a Rainier. It's practical to carry all her crafts and it will get her through snow and sleet on her way to Turkey Hill.

'That umbrella in the back cargo area...I made that with my own two hands (well, I had help, I have 300 people working at the studio), it's made from rare Japanese rice paper and made waterproof with many layers of hand rubbed beeswax.'

Posted Image

So how does having Martha Stewart help market the car to a younger target when the people interested in her are becoming the old generation themselves?

Martha Stewart does not appeal to me at all; nor my wife, and we're approaching our 30's. I figure someone with a more independant appeal would be a better choice. Everyone I know of in the neighborhood of their 40s are becoming sheeple, conforming to the mindset that if 'I read it in the paper or saw it on the news it must be 100% accurate'.

Martha Stewart appeals to these people, and these are the kind typically buying into the foreign car marketing with no clue as to what quality means. GM has some huge leaps to secure their perception of their Buicks if the only way people will buy one is if it scores high in the magazine review articles.

I guess Tiger Woods didn't exactly help for the youth movement? Martha will certainly help to keep things looking old and tired.

all she gotta say "the all new buick lucerne, going fast with class" then she winks and takes off

[post="5711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There you go.

I think this is a smart move. Martha's return, IMO, is going to be pretty big. Many people still like her and will watch her shows, buy her magazines and enjoy her products. Many also think she didn't do anything that bad. Whether you like to admit it or not her demographic is close to Buick's. Why should Buick try to act outrageous and hire Nelly, etc? No current Buicks appeal to Nelly's demographic and using Nelly in an ad will turn off Buick's demographic. Be (relatively) safe, aim for your demographic and sell some cars.

At the very least, Martha will generate interest in the Lucerne and some people will get some more information on it. Nothing wrong with that.

Safeway grocery stores sell Lucerne dairy products, a perfect tie-in. Martha drives up in here brand-new Lucerne, pops the trunk, camera zooms in, and she lifts out all her Lucerne stuff...goes in and makes a smokin cheese cake from scratch. Then she goes on a field trip to Lucerne, Switzerland and tries her hand at making goat cheese. Now that's a televison program. Edited by HarleyEarl

• 4 weeks later...
LOL! Maybe try product placement in the OC. Desperate Housewives. Or other shows that might have a hip, upscale image. I really don't watch TV enough to know what's best. Buick should build great cars that sell themselves rather than be dependent on commercials or product placement to sell cars.

zoomtm, I can attest that my 2000 Buick Regal is a great car but, for some reason Buick aspires to target Lexus. That's nice. I still say Buick should be the American Toyota of GM. What I mean is that Buick should take what Toyota does good , disregard Japanese quirkiness, add good old American know-how,Buick's luxo features, and do it better. When Buick does that even the import-bias will see a Buick as a great car. While Buick's fans(myself included) already know this,its about time we hammered the truth home on the autobuying public. C&G is a start! :CG_all: Oh Yeah, I like the Buick Lucerne but, I wish it had a 3.6L 240hp V-6(or a 3.9L 240hp V-6) std and a optional 4.6L 290hp V-8. The LaCrosse should be with a 2.8L 210hp V-6(or a 3.5L 210hp V-6) & a 3.6L 260hp V-6. Of course all should have 5-spd autos with availible autoshifts on the CXS models. To be honest I don't think that a Epsilon car could hurt but, perhaps that its too rash for some Buick fans. Well, Buick is a great car, as zoomtm said. I just want to see Buick kick some import ass asap. :) Edited by carman21

Apparently the woman can sell sand to an Arab. Her "cottage" in Maine is worth a few million dollars, sits on a 60 ace property and has a guest house bigger than my entire house.

BUICK: It's a good thing.

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Buick doesn't have the lineup to attract people that are into the show. At this point they will only show how their cars are made to attract an older crowd. Until they have something like the Solstice, they need to stay away from shows like this. It will only hurt their image.

I don't know.. I mean, if I were Buick, I'd be ashamed of their products right about now.

There's nothing exciting.  There's nothing unique.

I mean, the only reason I still have interest in them is because I'm a huge Buick fan--but man, they are having a hard time keeping me interested.

[post="5156"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maannn, that's how I've been feeling. More than any other car company, I'd love for Buick to come back. They get close, but never close enough. I still have a big issue with the Lucerne's powertrain. Not only should it have the 3.6 HF standard, but the Northstar should be making atleast 300HP, IMHO. And since the Aura will be getting the 6sp. auto, I hope that BOTH Buick and Caddy's full line (of cars, atleast) will get it. Though I'd love the Lucerne to be RWD, I understand the cash restraints that's kept Zeta away from Buick, and that's okay (for now). But if you're got the 3.6 HF at your disposal, and you know the Northstar makes more HP, then give it to a supposed luxury Lexus fighting sedan, damnit.

LOL! Maybe try product placement in the OC. Desperate Housewives. Or other shows that might have a hip, upscale image. I really don't watch TV enough to know what's best.
Buick should build great cars that sell themselves rather than be dependent on commercials or product placement to sell cars.

[post="21623"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Buick did try product placement in Desperate Housewives last season. Carmen Miranda herself was the model showing the car off in a shopping mall. Give credit where credit is due. I may not buy any upcoming Buick but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for dull, curvy, mid-lux cars. Not an insult but fact.

SingleStylish, I take no offense to your remarks. I just don't watch desperate housewives period so I wouldn't really know. I am not a TV person. I'm just a car person. Now I do remember something mentioned about a LaCrosse in Desperate Housewives or something perhaps that is what you were talking about?

One of the main "Houswives" drives a Rendevous. The one with all the kids. Car nuts may roll their eyes, but reality is women have a strong say in over half of car/truck purchases. But, the "cute chick car" ads of the past do not work either. Appealing to smart women with full lives is the key. And it can be done without turnign off husbands too. And yeah some want the Grand National to come back, but that will happen only if Buick makes their own engines again.

Buick did try product placement in Desperate Housewives last season.  Carmen Miranda herself was the model showing the car off in a shopping mall.  Give credit where credit is due.  I may not buy any upcoming Buick but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for dull, curvy, mid-lux cars.  Not an insult but fact.

[post="22110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Carmen Miranda was not showing off the car. It was the actress Eva Longoria playing Gabrielle on the show.

One of the main "Houswives" drives a Rendevous. The one with all the kids.

[post="22161"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That'd be Lynette. Love her character.

Carmen Miranda was not showing off the car.  It was the actress Eva Longoria playing Gabrielle on the show.
That'd be Lynette.  Love her character.

[post="22165"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No offense but, no shit. It was a joke... I can't help but, here about her and Tony Parker ALL THE TIME. San Antonio likes to hype the actors that live here.

Martha selling Buicks to the 30-50 female crowd makes perfect sense. Who are the largest purchasers of the ES and RX? Women in the 30-50 age range of course.... In fact.. it makes "Martha sense.." Edited by Oldsmoboi

• 1 month later...
NBC announced yesterday that ''The Apprentice: Martha Stewart" will end its run Dec. 21, only months after it started. An average of 6.7 million viewers have watched it this season. I believe the November 23rd episode centered around the Buick Lucerne will go on as scheduled.

If Martha were to actually drive a Buick, what would she choose?  I think she would buy a Rainier.  It's practical to carry all her crafts and it will get her through snow and sleet on her way to Turkey Hill.

'That umbrella in the back cargo area...I made that with my own two hands (well, I had help, I have 300 people working at the studio), it's made from rare Japanese rice paper and made waterproof with many layers of hand rubbed beeswax.'

Posted Image

[post="5517"][/post]

I doubt she drives herself anywhere.

We just got out launch kit for the whole Martha Stewart thing and I think it's a waste. I don't understand why they hired a spokesperson for PETA to promote a car that will mostly sell with leather (looks like Martha's going to be driving a CX :lol: ) I just don't think it's an attractive match for Buick.