Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Reversal of fortunes sets back Moscow’s plans

6 posts in this topic

Reversal of fortunes sets back Moscow’s plans

Russia’s bold gambit to build a partnership with Opel and win access to technology vital for transforming its battered car industry lay in tatters on Wednesday.

Vladimir Putin, Russia’s prime minister, said he was “surprised” at the decision by General Motors to hold on to Opel and indicated Russia could still battle for the sale to go ahead. A spokesman said the Russian government had understood a trust charged by GM to manage its European operations had the final say over the deal and not GM.

The trust had signed off on the deal in September after months of negotiations. The official said Magna and Sberbank would conduct a “deep legal analysis” of GM’s sudden U-turn.

However, the trust said it backed GM’s decision to keep Opel.

link:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/24c0d38e-c973-11...?nclick_check=1

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Speaking of 'trust,' why is Putin even a spokesperson for Russia? I thought he was defeated in the last 'election.' Oh, that's right, Russia has a sham democracy. At least the Chinese don't even pretend to be democratic!

Again, why are we trading with these people? Let them sink into their own excrement, until their people finally tear down the ramparts. Handing them our technology, allowing them unfettered access to our market, allowing the truly disenfranchised to emigrate here only serves as a pressure relief valve. Both Russia and China need a good old fashioned revoultion to sweep away the corruption.

Then MAYBE, just maybe, they can join the 21st Century.

Truth came out in this article. The funny part to me in the article is where they said the United States government had something to do with the decision. I assure you Russia, Obama and the Obama Administration had nothing to do with GM deciding to keep Opel. GM made that decision. The other part I liked is how the truth came out about how bad off the Russian auto industry is right now. They wanted the GM technology and intellectual property. GM said not in this life time.

Speaking of 'trust,' why is Putin even a spokesperson for Russia? I thought he was defeated in the last 'election.' Oh, that's right, Russia has a sham democracy. At least the Chinese don't even pretend to be democratic!

Again, why are we trading with these people? Let them sink into their own excrement, until their people finally tear down the ramparts. Handing them our technology, allowing them unfettered access to our market, allowing the truly disenfranchised to emigrate here only serves as a pressure relief valve. Both Russia and China need a good old fashioned revoultion to sweep away the corruption.

Then MAYBE, just maybe, they can join the 21st Century.

+1. Russia's government is just a corrupt, criminal enterprise posting as a government...Putin is a KGB thug, nothing of significance. GM is right to be wary of any of their technology ending up in their corrupt hands.

Again, why are we trading with these people?

isolationism is never the answer.

hopefully the right decision will be made. i hope "the new" gm can trim opel up to get it in the shape it needs to be and be very beneficial to gm.

isolationism is never the answer.

hopefully the right decision will be made. i hope "the new" gm can trim opel up to get it in the shape it needs to be and be very beneficial to gm.

Nuke the bastards!

Oh sorry, General Patton got to my keyboard again ... :smilewide:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room