Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Ford unveils industry's first* production inflatable seat belts [w/VIDEO]

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: SUV, Safety, Crossover, Ford

inflatseatbelts_2653_opt.jpg
Ford's Inflatable Seat Belts - Click above for high-res image gallery

They started out in our steering wheels before taking up residence across the dash. They then migrated to the side of our vehicles and grew to be full-sized curtains. Automakers seem to stick them everywhere, so where else can airbags go to protect our fleshy, organic bodies when metal meets metal in an accident? Ford has the answer: seatbelts.

Today Ford is introducing the auto industry's first* inflatable seat belts, which are scheduled to enter production in 2010 on the next-generation Ford Explorer before being offered across its global lineup. They're designed for rear-seat occupants only (front passengers already have a plethora of airbags) and, in the event of a frontal or side impact, will inflate the belt across a passenger's chest in 40 milliseconds. When expanded, the belt cover five times more surface area of the body than a normal seat belt, which helps better distribute the forces of a crash.

The mechanics of Ford's inflatable belt system use cold compressed gas to inflate the bags, unlike traditional airbags that rely on a heat-generating chemical reaction. The seat belt bags also inflate slower and to a lower pressure than a traditional airbag, mainly because they don't have to cover the distance between the passenger and an object (steering wheel, dash).

This isn't the first time we've heard about Ford's inflatable seat belts. The automaker has been working on the idea for several years and revealed their intentions right before the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. Unfortunately, Ford may not be the first to market with the idea. The Lexus LFA, also set to enter production next year, features an SRS seatbelt airbag as well. We don't know if the next-gen Explorer will beat the LFA to dealer showrooms yet, but Ford can at least take pride in knowing that its technology will be protecting more than just 500 lives.

UPDATE: Videos added after the jump.

[source: Ford]

Continue reading Ford unveils industry's first* production inflatable seat belts [w/VIDEO]

Ford unveils industry's first* production inflatable seat belts [w/VIDEO] originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=GnIB5sT2g1A:z2YSbM7Fhfc:wF9xT autoblog?i=GnIB5sT2g1A:z2YSbM7Fhfc:V_sGL
GnIB5sT2g1A

View the full article

sounds like a good enough idea, but what happens when you have a child seat secured with the seatbelt and it inflates? wouldn't that launch that child seat forward?

What is with the '*' asterisk after first?!? You either are first or not.

The article does not seem to include what the asterisk is disclaiming. I am getting really sick of stuff that puts an asterisk on a claim, then doesn't put the disclaimer somewhere nearby, or even at all.

I bought a new thermostat recently, and it says "Works with most* heaters"... I looked all over the packaging... no matching disclaimer... it was inside the blister pack, where you could normally only read it after opening it. I would have been pissed* if I bought it and it didn't fit.

* Really angry, not actually urinated.

What is with the '*' asterisk after first?!? You either are first or not.

The article does not seem to include what the asterisk is disclaiming. I am getting really sick of stuff that puts an asterisk on a claim, then doesn't put the disclaimer somewhere nearby, or even at all.

I bought a new thermostat recently, and it says "Works with most* heaters"... I looked all over the packaging... no matching disclaimer... it was inside the blister pack, where you could normally only read it after opening it. I would have been pissed* if I bought it and it didn't fit.

* Really angry, not actually urinated.

Did you read the whole article? The answer is in the article.

Did you read the whole article? The answer is in the article.

Yeah, I read the article, but I didn't think that it was real clear that they asterisked it because the Lexus LFA have them and would beat them to the market.

Nothing about safety equipment will peak my interest until we see the car turn into a Cannoli ala Demolition Man.

LOL... yeah, but that was so cool that I'd want to drive the car into a wall just to see what it was like!

More explosives. Wonderful. I'm expecting one of these to fail and blow someone's torso apart.

That is technically incorrect.

The mechanics of Ford's inflatable belt system use cold compressed gas to inflate the bags, unlike traditional airbags that rely on a heat-generating chemical reaction.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room