IF

ok, I made the last payment on the Aztek! Mine free and clear! Woo.

Hoo.

I had hoped by now to have sold or traded it, but such is not yet possible. It may be a few more months.

And with the car markets the way it has been, the GM and Chrysler bailouts, the economic crash, prices skyrocketing on new and used, it kind of has blunted my enthusiasm on cars all around.

But, with a little luck down the road maybe by the time the 2010's wind down and the 2011's trickle in, I may have the opportunity to get something.

New for me means a new car or slightly used or even a used one that is just a great deal and has plenty of life left in it.

The Taurus X is the other family car and is holding up well.

One thing I am contemplating for the replacement of the Aztek if not both is going smaller. Or just simpler, or smaller, simpler, less expensive all around. I think gas will slow inch up again, and we'll all wake up with that expense again. I'm tired of gas, car payments, all that but its a reality and its a matter of finding a balance between size and expense and still getting something fun.

There seems to be a lot of new GM and Ford stuff hitting the horizon soon that holds my interest. A few import brand vehicles too, I'll consider, although I'd kind of prefer to do GM or Ford out of habit and generally because i like to.

I'm probably crossovered out. Time to get back into something more carlike. A couple exceptions to that theory exist.

Decent price, safety and reliability, fun. Good mpg. Car has to feel like its built well. It would be nice to keep weight and size moderate within reason considering i have 2 kids and stuff on trips occassionally. I might want a manual trans this time.

I have a nice GM card balance which may be helpful if I bought a new GM.

Right now I would have to say if I had to buy today, for some reason I think a Ford Fusion would probably be the leader. Midsize, but low price. Built well. Practical, with the monochrome package on a 4 cylinder would be enough 'sports' for me. A Taurus would be nice, but I do not think they will be priced within reach. If I wanted to go simple I could consider an Escape manual. The Focus is ok but I think if i went that route it's be better off to get a Fiesta or next gen Focus. My wife would probably like an Edge. I had considered the Flex before. I am wondering how the 011 explorer will turn out. I am wondering how the ecoboost 4 will turn out, and if it goes into the Edge, Fusion.

GM will get my looks on much of the Chevy line. I've really had a fondness for the HHR lately. I'd love an HHR SS for the right price used with very few miles. Otherwise, a regular HHR, or a Malibu, or Cobalt would interest me. If i felt like being emotional about it, I would probably look at a Camaro v6 even. I still hate not having the Saturn and Pontiac choices. In particular, the Astra had been the fave of all my recent test drives and of course those are toast now. Caddys of course are out of reach, except maybe a certitifed used CTS from a few years ago. I like the new Buicks but even the Regal I fear will be too spendy. Like the Regal but i do not feel confident they will equip it the way i would want it.

The lambdas interest me, but cost and of course size and mpg. If it were my main family vehicle it may be something i would look at.

I actually really wouldn't mind a simple fwd Terrain or Equinox as the crossover exception. No way I would look at a Vue after sitting in the Terrain.

Very little in the Asian camps interest me. I sometimes think Mazda does, but every time i look at them, they seem to feminine or too boy racer. I do sort of like VWs. Golf, Jetta, CC.

My Vote-Cobalt, keep it pure and simple, the economy is still very fragile.

Try XFE perhaps? Does anybody know if they make a 2LT coupe with a manual?

Chris

Wait for the next-gen Focus. Jetta SportWagen? VW always has good leases going on - CC for $359/mo, Jetta for $259/mo, $0 down, maintenance included.

Fusion SE is a good choice, too. Six-speed manual available. Be on the lookout for loss-leader Mazda6 sales, too... I've seen "one at this price!" 6 SV manual models for $15K. It's basically the Fusion, but the next generation of it and assembled in Michigan.

I would take a Fusion over the new Taurus. The Taurus is too big, heavy and over-styled.

As for the Terrain...I saw my first a few days ago and it has to be the ugliest SUV on the market.

FWD Terrain SLE-1. Even the base model is well-equipped and good looking.

that indeed may be the route to go if I stay GM and go new. The 6 speed is standard. FWD would be all I need. the interior is carlike. Plenty of room for passengers and cargo. A better choice than say, a Malibu in my opinion.

My Vote-Cobalt, keep it pure and simple, the economy is still very fragile.

Try XFE perhaps? Does anybody know if they make a 2LT coupe with a manual?

Chris

this may sound funny, but if i got a cobalt coupe, I'd rather get a G5. Its a Pontiac and not a chevy. o cobalt SS would be possible if they prices drop enough (same goes for an HHR SS which would be a tremendous option to have).

What about the Cruze?

Next Aveo might not be a joke either, since it is going to be Cobalt sized...

I have decided I do like the Cruze. My cruze concern is will it basically be a Chevy Kia. I liked the Forte some, but i expect more out of a chevy. I'd really want to wait and see what the powertrain and handling turn out to be. A used Cobalt SS may be more desirable than a new and higher priced Cruze. I do not see chevy giving them away, especially since its the 1.4 turbo that intrigues me with the cruze. plus the cruze is unproven.

Diesel Jetta or stick with the Fusion.

A Golf or Jetta diesel I would enjoy. But I would still prefer the familiar GM or Ford products more I think. As much as i like VW's, i am still hesitant to their quality and I don't fit the metrosexual urban thing that all VW drivers (or a lot of them) seem to have. Its kind of an uncomfortable FIT (no pun) for me, as much as I admire their hardware and interiors. VW is a tad pricey too when you option them up.

Speaking of the Fit, fun car, but it feels cheap to me and needs more power and its a bit pricey. I could buy a nice HHR for that.

SX4 by the way i like and the Kisashi looks interesting but it still seems to come back to how much i trust the GM and Ford products.

I haven't ruled out a good used Chrysler LX car, although it would have to be a v6 and even then I'd still be slightly out of my GM/Ford comfort zone.

Wait for the next-gen Focus. Jetta SportWagen? VW always has good leases going on - CC for $359/mo, Jetta for $259/mo, $0 down, maintenance included.

Fusion SE is a good choice, too. Six-speed manual available. Be on the lookout for loss-leader Mazda6 sales, too... I've seen "one at this price!" 6 SV manual models for $15K. It's basically the Fusion, but the next generation of it and assembled in Michigan.

yes i have seen the ads for the Mazda6 SV and its a good deal pricewise. Problem is Mazdas feel feminine to me, and their interiors are yuk. I actually would out of all the Asian mid sizers like the Legacy the most, which would have AWD as well for not much more. At that point it beomes a matter of who offers the best deal compared to a Fusion for example. Ford is really aggressive with Fusion pricing and the car is solid and likeable now since the fixed a lot of stuff for 2010. It is a plus having a Ford dealer 2 miles from home.

I just hate what Mazda has done with their styling.

I would take a Fusion over the new Taurus. The Taurus is too big, heavy and over-styled.

As for the Terrain...I saw my first a few days ago and it has to be the ugliest SUV on the market.

compared to the aztek in my garage now, the terrain would be an evolution on the style meter, as well as an improvement. :)

i can't wait to see if Ford offers the ecoboost 4 with stick on the Fusion, then it makes the decision of what to look for get a whole lot narrower.

One car that seems to go below a lot of folks radars, VW offers a Wolfsburg Jetta with the turbo for about 22 and change. A good price for the turbo engine. But its still a VW which I would need to decide if I can stomach being a part of that group.

One car that seems to go below a lot of folks radars, VW offers a Wolfsburg Jetta with the turbo for about 22 and change. A good price for the turbo engine. But its still a VW which I would need to decide if I can stomach being a part of that group.

If your going to go the VW route...

Either hook up with the older guys in the air cooled VW crowd or join the Diesel VW drivers groups.

I get "bounced" by lots of VW Ricers in Jetta's and such in my Miata for some odd reason. Also when I'm driving/riding in my friends SVT Focus.

Don't let the idiots in the Vortex Forums and such turn you off if you really want a VW.

Chris

I have decided I do like the Cruze. My cruze concern is will it basically be a Chevy Kia. I liked the Forte some, but i expect more out of a chevy. I'd really want to wait and see what the powertrain and handling turn out to be. A used Cobalt SS may be more desirable than a new and higher priced Cruze. I do not see chevy giving them away, especially since its the 1.4 turbo that intrigues me with the cruze. plus the cruze is unproven.

Used Cobalt SS is just the cats ass as far as used cars go. And I should know...as my cat is on my keyboard as I'm writing this, and he's trying to rub my face with his ass.

Maybe my cat wants me to buy a Cobalt?

Chris

this may sound funny, but if i got a cobalt coupe, I'd rather get a G5. Its a Pontiac and not a chevy. o cobalt SS would be possible if they prices drop enough (same goes for an HHR SS which would be a tremendous option to have).

This statement is incorrect: "It's a Pontiac and not a Chevy."

Used Cobalt SS is just the cats ass as far as used cars go. And I should know...as my cat is on my keyboard as I'm writing this, and he's trying to rub my face with his ass.

Chris

An SS maybe.....a regular one, not so much....

Then again, I can see you adding some upgrades....

A co worker is working on that....new 17s/BFGs, KYBs, intake.....

Sounds like things are good so far over the pond on them....

I'm expecting more malibu than Kia on it........

And hopefully the Aveo will look more chevy this time......

If your going to go the VW route...

Either hook up with the older guys in the air cooled VW crowd or join the Diesel VW drivers groups.

I get "bounced" by lots of VW Ricers in Jetta's and such in my Miata for some odd reason. Also when I'm driving/riding in my friends SVT Focus.

Don't let the idiots in the Vortex Forums and such turn you off if you really want a VW.

Chris

i just want a car, i don't need social affirmation.

especially from the coffee sippin, art gallery, trek ridin, live in a small urban condo VW bunch.

it might be the kind of image for the granolas in 'bob's deleted thread about -disliking- granolas', but its not really my image.

i walk into a VW dealer and my skin crawls with all the self affirmed complex people.

What i do appreciate about VW is not really why a lot of others do. Which is why a car LIKE a VW but by a GM or Ford company would be so nice to buy.

and as nice as VW's are in truth their styling is pretty dull. sharp and dashing, but lacks emotion. like for example, a jetta sportwagen would probably be a great car for me, but the styling is (can't find the adjective for 'just there and dull in a nice way')

the CC is an exception.. the CC is hot.

Edited by regfootball

Chris

if i am going to have a -cat- rub up against me, i prefer they do a 180 and not have their arse be what is in my POV........

(nice rimshot btw, blu....very opportunistic....)

Sounds like things are good so far over the pond on them....

I'm expecting more malibu than Kia on it........

And hopefully the Aveo will look more chevy this time......

not much hope on an Aveo. btw there is a nice used G3 at a dealer here in my hometown. call me crazy, but i'd rather have the G3 than the aveo....its a PONTIAC.

with regards to the cruze.....i fully expect the interior material quality to be about right at or very slightly above the Forte. I expect the size to be an exact clone of the Forte. the forte has great shoulder and hip room, good front row comfort and leg room and ergonomics. the rear is very wide also and maybe is tight only in knee room. if the cruze is -packaged- exactly as the Forte, chevy will have done a bang up job. what concerns me is if we'll have korean level plastics.

cobalt now has a gutsy 2.2 with great torque and revvability. my concern is the 1.8 is a real downgrade in real use. the 1.4 is not big enough to pay any dividends in driving quality, but the mpg if it tops 45 may be worth it.

a 2.0 turbo option really would make sense in the cruze. if the cruze drives like crap or even just average but only has a 1.8 like the astra i might as well get the sweet handling astra i wanted all along and save thousands.

in short, to me, i think the cruze's biggest asset in the class will be the passenger and cargo accomodations.

anyone who hasn't sat in a forte yet, do so, its nice sized for a compact. you'd like the room.

anyone here considering a Soul or a Cube. My wife does not do cars. Doesn't bother her that she drove an aztek....but she texted me the first she saw a cube. she was like 'wtf' is that? she hates the cube.

I found the Cube to be much more comfortable than the Soul. The Datsun has big, comfy lounge seats and a soft ride, whereas the Kia has narrow, bucket-type seats and a stiffer ride. It depends on what you're looking for, neither have the best looks, but as far as daily livability, the Cube is better for someone like my mom.

especially from the coffee sippin, art gallery, trek ridin, live in a small urban condo VW bunch.

it might be the kind of image for the granolas in 'bob's deleted thread about -disliking- granolas', but its not really my image.

i walk into a VW dealer and my skin crawls with all the self affirmed complex people.

What i do appreciate about VW is not really why a lot of others do. Which is why a car LIKE a VW but by a GM or Ford company would be so nice to buy.

and as nice as VW's are in truth their styling is pretty dull. sharp and dashing, but lacks emotion. like for example, a jetta sportwagen would probably be a great car for me, but the styling is (can't find the adjective for 'just there and dull in a nice way')

Methinks you worry to much. Have you seen the new wagon, the one built on the new Golf platform-looks good!

The only reason to get the VW IMHO is to get the TDI with a manual. TDI+Manual+Wagon=Good car for reg.

Regular 5 cyl golf with an autotrajic...might as well buy a used Astra, kind of.

What do you want this car to DO, reg? Fuel economy, handling/auto-X, highway touring, easy to park, what are your priorities? We know what these cars each do well, what do you NEED and WANT in a car?

Chris

An SS maybe.....a regular one, not so much....

Then again, I can see you adding some upgrades....

A co worker is working on that....new 17s/BFGs, KYBs, intake.....

Yes, thinking if I do go Cobalt would be SS.

The Supercharged and Turbocharged cars are wonderful!

Chris

not much hope on an Aveo. btw there is a nice used G3 at a dealer here in my hometown. call me crazy, but i'd rather have the G3 than the aveo....its a PONTIAC.

with regards to the cruze.....i fully expect the interior material quality to be about right at or very slightly above the Forte. I expect the size to be an exact clone of the Forte. the forte has great shoulder and hip room, good front row comfort and leg room and ergonomics. the rear is very wide also and maybe is tight only in knee room. if the cruze is -packaged- exactly as the Forte, chevy will have done a bang up job. what concerns me is if we'll have korean level plastics.

cobalt now has a gutsy 2.2 with great torque and revvability. my concern is the 1.8 is a real downgrade in real use. the 1.4 is not big enough to pay any dividends in driving quality, but the mpg if it tops 45 may be worth it.

a 2.0 turbo option really would make sense in the cruze. if the cruze drives like crap or even just average but only has a 1.8 like the astra i might as well get the sweet handling astra i wanted all along and save thousands.

in short, to me, i think the cruze's biggest asset in the class will be the passenger and cargo accomodations.

anyone who hasn't sat in a forte yet, do so, its nice sized for a compact. you'd like the room.

anyone here considering a Soul or a Cube. My wife does not do cars. Doesn't bother her that she drove an aztek....but she texted me the first she saw a cube. she was like 'wtf' is that? she hates the cube.

I can agree with the G3...I still can't get past the nose of the Aveo htach...yuck!

It's interesting that we feel along the same lines about the cruze, reg.

I'm liking the Forte myself...just need to test drive it....

i've test driven the forte. its actually a decent car. for most folks it would be just fine. interior cheapness and cheapness overall (thin sheetmetal, small seams, thin paint, typical korean plastic) are its biggest vices. i would call the drive experience ordinary and average. most unsuspecting consumers would like it.

Methinks you worry to much. Have you seen the new wagon, the one built on the new Golf platform-looks good!

The only reason to get the VW IMHO is to get the TDI with a manual. TDI+Manual+Wagon=Good car for reg.

Regular 5 cyl golf with an autotrajic...might as well buy a used Astra, kind of.

What do you want this car to DO, reg? Fuel economy, handling/auto-X, highway touring, easy to park, what are your priorities? We know what these cars each do well, what do you NEED and WANT in a car?

Chris

Jetta sportwagen is spacious. however, the styling is merely 'there'. functionally, its a fine car.

diesel is an iffy thing. my dad worked part of his life rebuilding diesel motors for farm machinery. we had diesel cars. to me, to commit to a diesel means the inconvenience of always needing to hunt for the diesel pump. I have driven a Jetta TDI by the way although it was a DSG. I didn't like the DSG and I didn't like the response of the diesel in aggressive in town driving.

I must be a gas man.

My astra problem is simply that i won't be able to find one exactly the way I want it, since they are rare, and no longer sold new. there are quite a few 3 doors on the market, but i really would need the 5 door and those are beyond rare equipped the way i want. funny thing is the dealer i bought my aztek from has a used -2009- Astra 3 door (biege seats even) that has like no miles on it and somewhat decently priced, but its a 3 door. you wanna talk rare, that 2009 is about as rare as it gets.

In my mind, my latest thought is why shell 23-25k for a new Jetta sportwagen. The sedan is much cheaper (as in, the little bit extra cargo room is not worth the price difference). Likewise, something like an HHR, as much cargo room as the Jetta wagon, but so much cheaper and it has something of its own personality. To find a killer deal on an SS would make it easier to get to really thinking about it. But there are plenty of non turbo HHR that fall into the 13-14 grand range with few miles on it. The 2.2 will approach the mpg of the Jetta diesel in real world use.

My next car is a 2-3 year car, just want something fairly inexpensive, yet fun, and preferably not asian generic. notice i said Asian generic. I would still consider an Asian brand product, if its semi unique or something like that.

VW really screwed the pooch on only offering the base Golf with 2 doors. I might have been pretty hot on a new 4 door Golf otherwise.

Edited by regfootball

<!--quoteo(post=553676:date=Nov 9 2009, 04:37 PM:name=66Stang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (66Stang @ Nov 9 2009, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=553676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your going to go the VW route...

Chris<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

VW is now the largest car maker in the world. They couldn't achieve that by making cars for 'social affirmation.'

VWs usually have pretty good residuals, so while the MSRP might be slightly higher, lease payments aren't too bad.

VW now has their sign and drive going. i heard VW actually made some refinements to the base 5 cyl for 2010. Much better NVH, more power.

Liking the basic HHR lately. I don't like the red interior treatments of some of the SS.

Sat in an Equinox today. GM really did a bangup job on the interior layout. Way cool. still think there is some neglect in the materials quality, but that is primarily cheap leather. the plastics are better and the design itself is a home run.

i wonder if they could get 40 mpg with a nice turbodiesel on the thing.

Edited by regfootball

Methinks reg...get a GTI 4 door, gently used.

About as close as your going to come in your eternal quest for the perfect small car.

Either that or crap can the small car idea keep the aztek and get a weekend warrior of some sort. Go four wheeling, go autocrossing, go DO something...

Or get an older but modern Mustang or Camaro Convertible with a 5 speed to tool around in. Fox body ragtops are at givaway prices, and 5K will buy you a damn fine example of either car.

The Camaro/Firebird may have 100K on it, but if you drive it 5K a year you've got twenty years to enjoy it.

Just my two cents, Chris

Methinks reg...get a GTI 4 door, gently used.

About as close as your going to come in your eternal quest for the perfect small car.

Either that or crap can the small car idea keep the aztek and get a weekend warrior of some sort. Go four wheeling, go autocrossing, go DO something...

Or get an older but modern Mustang or Camaro Convertible with a 5 speed to tool around in. Fox body ragtops are at givaway prices, and 5K will buy you a damn fine example of either car.

The Camaro/Firebird may have 100K on it, but if you drive it 5K a year you've got twenty years to enjoy it.

Just my two cents, Chris

I'm liking this idea...