Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: GM to invest C$100M in Ingersoll plant to boost GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox volume

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing, Crossover, Chevrolet, GM, GMC, Canada

chevyequinoxreview_03_opt.jpg
2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Click above for high-res image gallery

It's early, but so far, General Motors' 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain twins are exceeding sales expectations by enough of a margin that the automaker may have to shell out some serious coin to better-align production with demand. Reuters and the Toronto Star say GM will pay $100 million loonies ($93M USD) to upgrade its CAMI assembly facility in Ingersoll, Ontario to pump out more copies of the well-received crossovers. The move comes after The General added a third shift at the facility on October 19, resulting in 350 new jobs. The plant expansion, which Canadian officials told The Star would occur over the next six months, would result in the call-back of an additional 150 laid off positions.

The Equinox and Terrain were major factors in GM's 4% year-over-year sales increase in October, as the two new crossovers accounted for 7,868 and 2,994 October sales, respectively.

[source: Reuters]

REPORT: GM to invest C$100M in Ingersoll plant to boost GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox volume originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=VTlFOmMsJqU:MlXMZWOpwtk:wF9xT autoblog?i=VTlFOmMsJqU:MlXMZWOpwtk:V_sGL
VTlFOmMsJqU

View the full article

Flood the market, that won't be an issue for sometime. My dealer doesn't even have one for stock yet! Whatever he gets is sold within a day! The other HUGE Chevy store, likes to have 40 or 50 stocked and they don't even have ten! (The ones that are always sold are FWD/AWD LS/1LT models!) So whats left on the lot currently are a few loaded 2LT's and LTZ's or ugly color combos.

Edited by gm4life

:CanadaEmoticon:

There is a serious supply issue with these vehicles, especially the Equinox which is selling like Tim Horton's Canadian Maple Donuts up here.

Flood the market, that won't be an issue for sometime. My dealer doesn't even have one for stock yet! Whatever he gets is sold within a day! The other HUGE Chevy store, likes to have 40 or 50 stocked and they don't even have ten! (The ones that are always sold are FWD/AWD LS/1LT models!) So whats left on the lot currently are a few loaded 2LT's and LTZ's or ugly color combos.

its a big problem that the upper trim levels are way too high priced. that's why the lower end models are selling so well. option them up and they are way too expensive.

its a big problem that the upper trim levels are way too high priced. that's why the lower end models are selling so well. option them up and they are way too expensive.

I think part of that may be the fact that most of the competition doesn't offer the same kind of options until you get into larger crossovers and those easily top the price of these two.

It is a shame that GM decided to price these CUVs so high in the upper trim levels. My BPG dealership has the exact one I'd want on their frontline - a '10 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD in Merlot Metallic with the Titanium & Jet Black leather with ALL of the options, MSRP $37 and change - that I could never touch. I too am noticing that a lot of SLE-2 and SLT-1 models are selling quickly, while SLT-2's just sit on the lot. The lower-trimmed models don't entice me enough, even as nice as they are and that's what I could likely afford. GM should have used this as an opportunity to offer all the gadgets on the top-of-the-line model at a much lower price to steal the market. Instead they price the SLT and LTZ models way too close to the Acadia/Traverse pricing structure.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

It is a shame that GM decided to price these CUVs so high in the upper trim levels. My BPG dealership has the exact one I'd want on their frontline - a '10 GMC Terrain SLT-2 AWD in Merlot Metallic with the Titanium & Jet Black leather with ALL of the options, MSRP $37 and change - that I could never touch. I too am noticing that a lot of SLE-2 and SLT-1 models are selling quickly, while SLT-2's just sit on the lot. The lower-trimmed models don't entice me enough, even as nice as they are and that's what I could likely afford. GM should have used this as an opportunity to offer all the gadgets on the top-of-the-line model at a much lower price to steal the market. Instead they price the SLT and LTZ models way too close to the Acadia/Traverse pricing structure.

let me sum this up better. GM is trying for Edge / MKx money with a product that is not of the same size and class.

Some escapes top 30k easily. most escapes sell well under 30k. For GM to try for 37k on an Equinox or Terrain is akin to the Pontiac dealers marking up GTO's an extra 6-8 grand when those came out.

maybe in 2011 we'll see some real MSRP adjustments.

only unique thing terrain has is the power hatch really. something minivans at lower price points have had for quite awhile.

let me phrase this again. You can buy a nicely loaded Flex for about the same as a loaded Terrain. or not much more.

I agree, but for a tad over 30K you can have a very nice one. With more toys than I'd ever want.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0